iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 395

Started by Richard, December 12, 2006, 09:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

I was at my local dealer today to pick up one of my saws and he has a used 395 for sale for $495.I was wondering if this is too much saw for bucking up firewood.I know that this is a heavy saw but the weight isn't a real issue for me.This saw is a 2003 model.Iwas just wondering.Thanks for your time.Richard

logger

For me personally a 395 is waayyyy too big for cutting firewood, they are fine for cutting timber but not firewood, unless it is large diameter.  Unless you just want it for the heck of it.  But really you would use more fuel than you would get done, and even you will not notice it you will actually cut less because you can not swing it around as easy as a saw that is even 1lb lighter or more.  But the price is good. ;D :) :o
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

4woody

about the gas comsutoin i have still 044 an a jonhon 930 the still uses 3times as much gas i know this dont have nothing to do with the post but it looked like a good spot when you talk about gas

Ironwood

I have two 394's. THEY REALLY use the fuel, that's for sure! They do one H%LL of a job creating saw dust and really scream but I use them for those times when I have a helper to clean up the trail of firewood I create. I have a long bar so as not to have to bend over to cut the log near the ground ;D. Seriously, it is more saw than you will want. I have a 372 that is the cat's meow for power, weight and firewood cutting. It screams too, but is much easier to handle. I use the 394's for BIG bar jobs (milling, and freehand cutting crotches w/ 6' bar :o for a small guy this would be impossible). Stay small and if you need a Huskey stick to the XP models (It's worth the price).

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

PawNature

I have owned a 395, and personaly I think that is to much saw for firewood.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

TexasTimbers

If that saw is in good shape that's one heckuva price. They sell for more than that on ebay if they look nice. If you think you will ever do any milling and you trust your shop to tell you the truth re: the shape it is in, you should get it IMO because I doubt you will run across another good 395 at that price.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Ron Scott

That's a good price for the 395, but it's too much saw for continued firewood cutting. It's better used for productive sawlog size tree falling and bucking. A mid size XP would be better for pulpwood size tree and firewood cutting.
~Ron

Striker

If the weight is not a problem for you, go for it. Enjoy running a saw with lots of power. You will chaw through wood fast. Put a 24" bar on it and watch the chips fly. I run an 066 all day some days , falling, bucking, limbing, and cutting firewood. That and the 372 are my favorite saws. When I get my 395's next week, that might change.

Jeff

SawTroll

???Not so sure about that - the 395 should weight a good amount more than the 066, without additional power......
Information collector.

Furby

Maybe we should ask what size logs he is cutting for firewood.
Not everyone cuts small logs for firewood. ;)

Al_Smith

Big saws are really nice for big wood .There is no subsitute for cubic inchs in the big stuff.I have several over 100 cc.In firewood however,these things will wear you to a frazzel,trust me,been there .

In my opinion a 60 to 70 cc range saw is your best choice ,Huskey,Stihl,Dolmar,J-Red what ever.

Richard

The size of my wood varies.Sometimes I have wood that is in the 12"to 16" range and sometimes the wood will be as large as 24".I have 2 saws in the 60cc range and I have 1 saw that is 50cc.I ussally use two tanks of gas for a cord of wood.My saws are a Husqvarna 266xp that is 20 years old,a 350 and a 365 special.I have a 281 that has given me more trouble than it is worth.I hope this gives you a better idea of what I'am working with.Thanks for the replies.         Richad

Corley5

I've had 95cc class saws for years.  Started with a 2094 J-Red and have a 395 Husky.  I got a 372 Husky a while back and the 395 seldom sees any use.  It's my back up saw these days.  If I was cutting big frozen hardwood I'd probably/maybe use it but the 372 does everything I want it to and weighs a bunch less.  You don't break in a big saw.  They break you in  ;)  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Striker

SawTroll- I compared the weights of the 066 and the 395, 36" bars and full of fuel and oil. The 066 weighed 26 lbs, the 395 weighed 27 lbs. Without the scales,  I could not tell the difference in the weight. I also realize that that may make a difference to some people.

Jeff

SawTroll

Quote from: Striker on December 19, 2006, 09:31:32 PM
SawTroll- I compared the weights of the 066 and the 395, 36" bars and full of fuel and oil. The 066 weighed 26 lbs, the 395 weighed 27 lbs. Without the scales,  I could not tell the difference in the weight. I also realize that that may make a difference to some people.

Jeff

The way you weighted them, you included more variables than the powerhead weight...
Information collector.

TexasTimbers

You're right ST, he had an aluminum bar on the 066 and a 1/4" thick steel bar on the Husky.  :D

You guys crack me up.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Striker

Sorry, I just weigh them the way I use them. A dry bare powerhead is good for a paper weight.
I like the 066. It is a great saw.

Jeff

oldsaw

Quote from: Richard on December 12, 2006, 09:56:13 PM
I was at my local dealer today to pick up one of my saws and he has a used 395 for sale for $495.I was wondering if this is too much saw for bucking up firewood.I know that this is a heavy saw but the weight isn't a real issue for me.This saw is a 2003 model.Iwas just wondering.Thanks for your time.Richard

Great saw, decent enough price, but I think you probably want a 372/Stihl460/Dolmar 7900.  That being said, if you don't mind carrying the weight, the 395 will "rock your world".  I use my 066 WAY more than I really should, since my 60cc Homie Super XL seems too slow many times.  The 066 dispatches the jobs in short order.  I don't own a 75cc "ish" saw, which would be my falling/bucking "go to" saw in most occasions.  Instead, I grab the bigger saw since it is what I have available.

I need a 7900 or a 460, there's a gap in my arsenal.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

SawTroll

Quote from: Striker on December 22, 2006, 07:31:23 PM
Sorry, I just weigh them the way I use them. A dry bare powerhead is good for a paper weight.
I like the 066. It is a great saw.

Jeff

No hard feelings, with really long bars a heavy powerhead may even be an advantage, regarding balance........ 8) 8)
Information collector.

snowman

395 is a great saw,I use one in big wood but you can't pack enough gas for it.2 gallons in a 6 hr day if your conservative and limb at half throttle.A tip on buying used saws though.Look at wear your leg rubs on the saw, if its more than a sliver of shine , the saw is very used.

parrisw

Go for it, I love bigger saws, can never have enough power, I run a 288xp with 28" and 37" bar, 394xp with 33" bar, and a small 14" crafstman.  I only cut firewood, but sometimes up to 40" in diamater.  Its nice to have the power if you need it.  Im not worried about fuel milage, since I don't cut that often.

Will

PB Logging

I'm a 395 fan.  I personally use it with a 24" for firewood when its appropriate but most of my f/w cutting is with my trusty 345.  I used a 395 today with a 36" to drop a 60" silver maple - thats what a 395 is meant for. Man, nothing beats a new loop of chain either.

Is it the saw for the average firewood guy?  I doubt that very much.  many valid points have been made.  weight, fuel, etc.   The cost of operating a "big" saw is greater of course (not only fuel but chain, bar oil, bar, repais, etc).  I recently spent about $350 to rebuild a 395 that suffered a lean seizure. 

Richard, how much cutting do you do?  Operating a 395 has greater injury potential as well of course.  Put a 24" bar on that kitten and fool around with a little bit of tip cutting with say full chisel chain.  Kickback? maybe a sprained wrist or worse. 

Make it a safe day and good luck.

Richard

Firewood is what I do for a living.I haven't been back to the dealer to see if this saw is still there.I have been cutting dead beech that is pretty good size that is why I thought this might make a good firewood saw.The first saw that I ever bought was a Homelite C5.This is a pretty heavy saw in it's own right.I was told once that this saw would wear me out before I wore it out.I still use this saw on occation except right now the clutch is in need of repair.Thanks for the replies.                            Richard

jokers

I`ve known small time firewood pros who use 395s and 660s, the real pros use processors. There is no substitute for the sheer power of a big(or properly modified) saw when it comes to production but I understand using a lightweight saw when working in a little firewood between other tasks, I do it all the time. I just picked up a new 660 that I`ve been blocking firewood with to get the rings seated before it gets built and it sure does bring a smile to my face to be able to just bear down on the wood and keep on ripping.  ;D The 660 makes a pretty good firewood saw if you don`t have to limb with it.

treeape

Quote from: jokers on January 03, 2007, 10:29:22 PM
I just picked up a new 660

Whats up with dat? ;D

Thank You Sponsors!