iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter boating fun (you might be a redneck) picture

Started by Daren, December 12, 2006, 08:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I was digging through some old photos and came across one from my younger (and dumber) days. I guess there is not much I can say about this picture except explain what it is. We had a 12" snow New Years Day (10?+ years ago). My little brother had a 1 ton 4-wheel drive and I had an 8' jon boat I used to fish some local farm ponds. We both had the great idea to pull each other around town 30-40 mph with a 20' tow strap  :D. Sort of a redneck winter sport, a little like Olympic bobsledding. The wife snapped this one picture as I was speeding by.

Good thing we are easily entertained (and heal fast), when we used to put are heads together adventure was soon to follow. I can tell 20 stories about the fun we had in that $25 rummage sale boat alone (losing the trolling motor into the river one night frogging...of course we were DOWN river from the launch is one)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Coon

That looks almost as fun as being pulled on a frozen moose hide behind a snowmobile with a 50' rope. had alot of fun doing that but also got meself into s**t at he same time because I tore up my ne snowsuit.  The things some kids think of..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Sprucegum

pasbuild

:D :D :D   That picture reminds me of a boating adventure I had YEARS ago at one of our annual (beer Camp) partys, six of us decided it would be fun to take the boat up on the pole line and ride it down this BIG hill, we dragged that boat about a 1/8 mile through knee deep snow to get it to the top four of us hopped in and the other two pushed, wouldn't ya know it that boat would not slide down that hill we ended up dragging it back down the hill.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

jon12345

We used to go up on a big hill (doesn't look so big anymore) that was all packed down by snowmobiles and all line our sleds up, start down the hill at the same time and have a demolition derby on the way to the bottom. :)  Out of 10-12 people starting at the top only 2-3 would make it to the bottom.  Then we started building jumps but had to stop doing that when someone got hurt :o  this wasn't all kids either, there was an age range of probably 8- 'early' middle ages  :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D :D :D Some of us were real lucky to survive our childhoods. 'course some of our childhoods lasted a long time.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

Olympic bobsledding was all the rage one winter when I was a kid. The adults built a "Crestarun" with eight foot high walls on the cornors that wound thru the trees for flying saucers.  :o

Us smart kids knew they were trying to do us in ;D and dragged our hands down the icy trail so we wouldn't get launched into a tree .

Great picture, Daren  8)

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

johncinquo

Havent ya ever been "hoodin"?   Get a hood off a car or truck, rope it up to your best 4wd vehicle, and away ya go!  Work great on snow, OK on grass, pretty spark shower on asphalt.   Over bumps it can be a little hairy if you lose control and you change positions of who is riding who.    The frozen lake is best, and you can get a longer rope and really whip that sucker around.  I saw a video of people doing this in Detroit in the city, It looked painful and expensive.   
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Murf

Don't know what the big deal is .......  ::)

They do that down my road after almost every snow fall..........

Isn't that a normal kinda thing?  ::)

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

beenthere

Use to do the 'hoodin' thang too, and made it through ok with a lot of good luck. Neighbor farm boy wasn't that lucky, and when the driver cracked the whip, sent him into a tree and paralyzed him from neck down. Didn't recover, and later died.

As young kids, used to get the neighbor HS boys to tow their 'bobsled' down the snow-packed country roads behind the car. Many scary stories and thrills from those rides, including sliding out in front of an on-coming car but not getting hit. Still see those headlights shining all too close. But I put it in the category of mountain climbing, motorbike jumping, cliff hanging, bunji jumping, etc, etc.   :)  May be just as dangerous driving the car down the highway.......Probably is safer walking the Bahgdad streets.....but I wouldn't want to be there and hope some semblence of order can come of that war and we can get home.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Daren

Quote from: Murf on December 13, 2006, 11:37:10 AM

Isn't that a normal kinda thing?  ::)

Yea it kinda is, I've been hoodin behind a truck and one fun place as a kid was an old rock quarry. It was a pea gravel quarry they abandoned... a really deep hole and the sides were steep, we used to ride a Studebaker hood (2 riders at a time, cause one guy couldn't drag the hood back up the hill  :D) We used to pull sleds in the country for 30 miles. That was all before the age of 18. I should have been old enough to know better in the picture of me in the boat. One thing for DanG sure that boat ride was hard on my rear end, jumping a 3' drift at 30 mph and landing on your tail was no fun.

I kinda posted the picture for our Southern brothers... if you notice the responces I am the farthest south of any of you here in central Illinois. I guess the guys south of the Mason Dixon just don't know what they are missing.

TexasTimbers

I'm not even gonna get started on some of my near=death experiences. Even I sometimes can't believe them when I look back!

Cool picture Daren. What I want to know is how much anti-freeze, or liquid courage, had you ingested?  :-X
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

sawguy21

We would go hoodin' down the steep hill behind my buddy's place. His dad was a packrat so there were lots to choose from. ;D The curved ones from fifties trucks worked best until they spun and the corners dug in flipping us off. Those things really hurt when they landed on top of us.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Daren

Quote from: kevjay on December 13, 2006, 12:56:14 PM

Cool picture Daren. What I want to know is how much anti-freeze, or liquid courage, had you ingested?  :-X

That day none, go figure  ??? . I will admit that is not the same for some things I have done in the past that if a guy took a minute to think about them he never would have done it.  :-[

Thank You Sponsors!