iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gonna make me a night stand.

Started by SwampDonkey, December 12, 2006, 06:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Very nice design, Swampdonkey.

I especially like the turned feet.  Can't wait to see the finish put on. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Thanks guys for your generous comments. I just returned home from Christmas holiday. I've got to apply my third coat of finish after lunch.

Meanwhile, I got to thinking about butternut as a wood for projects such as this. I don't remember seeing much sapwood, very narrow instances in my sawn lumber. Well, I was curious and had to look up some characteristics of the wood. According to the Wood Tech book, rarely does it have sapwood wider than 1 inch. Aside from it being soft and light, that in itself makes it's use quite desirable I would say.

That finish is looking good. It doesn't seem to alter the color and the label says it will not 'yellow' with age. Great stuff.  8) 8)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I am letting the finish cure, and will apply some wax to buff the top later. The top shines like glass as you can see reflections of the items on top. ;)

I only applied 3 coats of finish. Decided not to buff with rotten stone.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Wow!  You already have the remotes on top!  Breaking it in fast.  I can't believe how light that butternut turned out.  Looks great.  I am sure the pic does not do it justice, but the butternut looks a little like ash, but maybe that is the reflection from the camera flash.  That is really beautiful wood and a beautiful piece. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

The drawer and doors are ash and red heart yellow birch. I'll take a pic of the top.

SwampDonkey

Notice the different shades in the back panel. Sides and top are butternut, except the front. See the dove tail of the bread boarding? It's a touch darker.  ;)

Norm

Very nice SD!

It looks to me like you've been holding out on us....posing as a forester and all. :D

SwampDonkey

Now I need to make that desk and bury some kulch in it.  ;D :D

I don't think I'll make it role top as originally planned. I'll try butternut with it also. Gotta do some cogitating over the weekend.  :)

New thread starting Monday.  8)

Patty

You did a very nice job there, Donk! I really like the wood you selected and the style of the night stand.  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

WDH

SwampD,

Since you finished your night stand, I thought I would post a pic of a night table that Imade from a cherry tree that died.  I suspect the prevalence of mineral streaking in this cherry is a result of the tree being dead when I sawed it.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4woody

pigman

WDH, your nightstand looks nice. 8) Those mineral streaks just give it character. ;) May I ask how you attach the shelf to the legs? On mine I usually cut a dado on the inside corners of the legs, then cut a 45degree angles on the corners of the shelf to fit. I was wondering if there was an easier or better way?

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

WDH, that's a nice and very functional stand. Nice round over edge to. I like the mineral streaking. An old friend of mine would built stuff with wood that was figured or streaked or anything different because it was unique and one of a kind. I was always amazed and thrilled to see what new project he was involved in.  :)

SwampDonkey

Pigman, dunno how WDH did his shelf, but you could glue up a wood dowel at each corner.

pigman

I have thought about doing it that way, but was afraid if someone placed some concrete blocks on the shelf the dowels could break. :-\

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Pigman,

I used dado's like you mentioned.  Before tapering the legs, I cut dado's on the inside of each leg for the shelf to fit into.  When I tapered the lower portion of the leg, the taper ran from the lower edge of the dado to the floor-end of the leg.  The dado lets you clamp up everything real square.

SwampDonkey

Pigman, go into the legs about 1/8" for more strength. But seriously some carpenter's glue and a dowel is pretty strong (1/4" thick dowel). If someone set a brick on my stand, they might get one in free flight. :D ;D

smiley_brick hits_hardhat

WDH

SwampD,

If I should ever set a brick on your night table, I will surely be wearing a hardhat!

Thank You Sponsors!