iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best blade config for cypress?

Started by woodhick, December 11, 2006, 07:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I bid on a job to resaw some cypress beams.   Beams are green now but the mill that supplied them did not cut to right specs so they need to be resawn.  I have never cut any cypress and was wandering what  blade would be best.  Currently running Lennox bi-metals resawing dried oak.  Thanks for input.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Tom

Woodhick,

Your blades are probably sufficient.

I've cut a lot of cypress with Lenox woodmaster C's  1 1/4 x 7/8 x .042+

If you are resawing the previous beams, your biggest problem will be that they won't lay flat. 

The heartwood will come apart easily.
The sapwood (if dry) will be a little more difficult and can cause some problems with dulling blades if there is a lot of it.

You may see a fair amount of tension.

The green, wet wood will split as the blade exits, but, you can control that by slowing way down at the end of the cant.
A very sharp blade helps to keep the wood from splitting too.

It is important that you warn the off-bearers and anyone stacking the fresh boards that they should not drop or throw the board down.  They are fragile until dried.   They won't break in two but will split.

Even if the wood is very wet, still use a lubricant.  It will also help to keep the boards from splitting.

Watch the area of sawdust flow and keep it fairly clean.  It tends to stick to stuff. :D

Pay attention to the sharpness of the blades.  The heartwood comes apart so easily that it is tempting to saw too long with a dull blade.  You will definitely get more footage than in Oak and should only be concerned after 1000 feet or so, depending on your saw.   You will probably get 1/2 to 2/3's more footage in cypress than in Oak.

All in all, I'll bet that you find the experience enjoyable. :)

customsawyer

Depending on the size of the trees the cants were sawed from there will be some stress in there so if you are not taking very much off  don't try to take it all off from one side take half of it from both sides and then this will help to take the stress out and help to square up the cant.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

woodhick

This job was passed on to another miller who has a single head resaw.  Guess I won't be cutting any cypress after all but thanks for the replies.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Thank You Sponsors!