iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home made Peavey and Cant Hook

Started by alsayyed, December 09, 2006, 12:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

I am in the process of building either the peavey or the cant so I can roll the piece of log so easily.
My question has anybody built their own. Because the way I see it so simple to build one.

Jeff

Why dont you order one from Logrite?  You then have the best design possible and get a chance to deal with another member. I'm sure the shipping is probably a hassle, but if you can find a way to defeat that problem, you will have the BEST tool you could possibly get.  I'm sure people have built thier own, in fact a search on the forum will lead to a couple examples.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

alsayyed

thank you Jeff. yes the shipping is cost too much i have put an order to purchase one then i have got reply roughly  $ 90 only for the shipping. Did you see where is the problem know ?.

Jeff

I think you should come visit then, tour the logrite factory, meet some Forum members, and then take one home with you when you go. Then the shipping is free :)

Jeff

alsayyed, I wonder if you inquired about buying just the hook from Logrite. Then the shipping would be much less, and you would benefit from the perfect geometry built into the Logrite hook.

alsayyed

thank you Jeff for the invitation maybe one these days i should buy one have it sent to friend then he can send it to me again. it looks very good tool  and well designed.
thank you again.

Dan_Shade

the hook is the hard part, the rest is just a stick.  I have a monster one that my grandfather built.  it does the trick.  It's ugly, but it does the trick.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Phorester

I  got a big peavey hanging on my office wall that I was told was used in river drives God knows how long ago.  About a 6 foot long handle, huge point, swinging hook.  Weighs probably 20 pounds.  Well made.

About 25 years ago a co-worker was whizzing down the road and went by an antique shop.  Saw it leaning against the front door, screeched to a stop, hopped out and asked the shop owner how much he wanted for it.  He said " I don't even know what it is, make me an offer".  So my co-worker offered him $15, the owner said "it's yours".  Been a wall hanger ever since.

Jeff

Thats what all those old dixies should be used for. If it has a wood handle, let it lay out in the weather til its good and grey, if the metal is painted, wheel it off and let it rust. Then hang it on the barn or sell it for anything you can get at a flea market or yard sale or give it to sometone who wont use it. Get a LogRite to use for actual log turning.

footer

I made 2 cant hooks out of a pair of ice block tongs. I don't have any pictures though, but the by having the hook already made, it was easy.

Raphael

:D Jeff must be Logrite's biggest fan.  :D

That said if there is any possible way to get a mill special to Qatar at a reasonable price do it.  Logosol should be marketing these to everyone who buys an M7 or WWM.  The solid positive lift you get from Logrite's hook makes turning a heavy log a breeze and it's short enough to clear the front beam.  I'll second the suggestion of having them ship just the hook or perhaps two, I'd be lost with out the leverage of my 60" peaveys.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

beenthere

It would be nice to see alsayed get a logrite cant hook in Qatar.
PM me who'd like to help out with the shipping to there.
I'm in.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I'm in  :)   let me know how much you need, and I'll give what I can. 

thurlow

Done thought of that, but didn't have the nerve to post it, being's as how I'm a new guy;  reckon how much we talking about?  I'll help a little :)...........it is Christmas and all.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Raphael

... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Tam-i-am

A rough quote without knowing his address, came up to $159 just to ship the whole tool.
If you are going to go ahead with this LogRite will kick in $30.

Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Mooseherder

alsayyed

Well thank you fellows that is was very nice of you people to do that. To make that is very simple I will pay half the cost of the Peavey or the Cant Hook. Because I need one these days because I will be getting some Keni logs which is very hard wood I mean hard I will post pics. Let me know how is the payment can be arranged with Logrite.
I appreciate your help in this case and God bless you all.

Alsayyed

Jeff

We're goona elect beenthere to hammer out the details as this is his very very good idea. He can let us know how who and how much.   :)

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Jeff

OK, your ugly and you dress funny.  ;D

Sorry, but man, what an opening... :D

metalspinner

I had to read that four times to get it. :D :D

I guess you can add dumb to your list as well. :D :D

beenthere

Great response. I'll work on it and let you know.
Tune in tomorrow, and it's a great FF spirit here. Good on ya all! :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thurlow

Quote from: Jeff B on December 12, 2006, 11:11:25 PM
OK, your ugly and you dress funny. ;D

Ok, metalspinner's response was supposed to be, "I'd like a second opionion". 8)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

metalspinner

QuoteOk, metalspinner's response was supposed to be, "I'd like a second opionion".

Number one,  I'm not that quick. :-\

And B,  That was the second opinion. ::) :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!