iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home made Peavey and Cant Hook

Started by alsayyed, December 09, 2006, 12:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

I am in the process of building either the peavey or the cant so I can roll the piece of log so easily.
My question has anybody built their own. Because the way I see it so simple to build one.

Jeff

Why dont you order one from Logrite?  You then have the best design possible and get a chance to deal with another member. I'm sure the shipping is probably a hassle, but if you can find a way to defeat that problem, you will have the BEST tool you could possibly get.  I'm sure people have built thier own, in fact a search on the forum will lead to a couple examples.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

alsayyed

thank you Jeff. yes the shipping is cost too much i have put an order to purchase one then i have got reply roughly  $ 90 only for the shipping. Did you see where is the problem know ?.

Jeff

I think you should come visit then, tour the logrite factory, meet some Forum members, and then take one home with you when you go. Then the shipping is free :)

Jeff

alsayyed, I wonder if you inquired about buying just the hook from Logrite. Then the shipping would be much less, and you would benefit from the perfect geometry built into the Logrite hook.

alsayyed

thank you Jeff for the invitation maybe one these days i should buy one have it sent to friend then he can send it to me again. it looks very good tool  and well designed.
thank you again.

Dan_Shade

the hook is the hard part, the rest is just a stick.  I have a monster one that my grandfather built.  it does the trick.  It's ugly, but it does the trick.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Phorester

I  got a big peavey hanging on my office wall that I was told was used in river drives God knows how long ago.  About a 6 foot long handle, huge point, swinging hook.  Weighs probably 20 pounds.  Well made.

About 25 years ago a co-worker was whizzing down the road and went by an antique shop.  Saw it leaning against the front door, screeched to a stop, hopped out and asked the shop owner how much he wanted for it.  He said " I don't even know what it is, make me an offer".  So my co-worker offered him $15, the owner said "it's yours".  Been a wall hanger ever since.

Jeff

Thats what all those old dixies should be used for. If it has a wood handle, let it lay out in the weather til its good and grey, if the metal is painted, wheel it off and let it rust. Then hang it on the barn or sell it for anything you can get at a flea market or yard sale or give it to sometone who wont use it. Get a LogRite to use for actual log turning.

footer

I made 2 cant hooks out of a pair of ice block tongs. I don't have any pictures though, but the by having the hook already made, it was easy.

Raphael

:D Jeff must be Logrite's biggest fan.  :D

That said if there is any possible way to get a mill special to Qatar at a reasonable price do it.  Logosol should be marketing these to everyone who buys an M7 or WWM.  The solid positive lift you get from Logrite's hook makes turning a heavy log a breeze and it's short enough to clear the front beam.  I'll second the suggestion of having them ship just the hook or perhaps two, I'd be lost with out the leverage of my 60" peaveys.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

beenthere

It would be nice to see alsayed get a logrite cant hook in Qatar.
PM me who'd like to help out with the shipping to there.
I'm in.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I'm in  :)   let me know how much you need, and I'll give what I can. 

thurlow

Done thought of that, but didn't have the nerve to post it, being's as how I'm a new guy;  reckon how much we talking about?  I'll help a little :)...........it is Christmas and all.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Raphael

... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Tam-i-am

A rough quote without knowing his address, came up to $159 just to ship the whole tool.
If you are going to go ahead with this LogRite will kick in $30.

Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Mooseherder

alsayyed

Well thank you fellows that is was very nice of you people to do that. To make that is very simple I will pay half the cost of the Peavey or the Cant Hook. Because I need one these days because I will be getting some Keni logs which is very hard wood I mean hard I will post pics. Let me know how is the payment can be arranged with Logrite.
I appreciate your help in this case and God bless you all.

Alsayyed

Jeff

We're goona elect beenthere to hammer out the details as this is his very very good idea. He can let us know how who and how much.   :)

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Jeff

OK, your ugly and you dress funny.  ;D

Sorry, but man, what an opening... :D

metalspinner

I had to read that four times to get it. :D :D

I guess you can add dumb to your list as well. :D :D

beenthere

Great response. I'll work on it and let you know.
Tune in tomorrow, and it's a great FF spirit here. Good on ya all! :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thurlow

Quote from: Jeff B on December 12, 2006, 11:11:25 PM
OK, your ugly and you dress funny. ;D

Ok, metalspinner's response was supposed to be, "I'd like a second opionion". 8)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

metalspinner

QuoteOk, metalspinner's response was supposed to be, "I'd like a second opionion".

Number one,  I'm not that quick. :-\

And B,  That was the second opinion. ::) :D :D

beenthere

Had a nice talk with TamIam (LogRite) this morning, and worked out the details with our plot to get the shipping paid so alsayyed can get the 'best-of-all-worlds' cant hook in Qatar.
Here's how it will proceed:
TamIam will work directly with alsayyed to get payment for a cant hook (thinking 42" here).

FF members: To contribute toward the shipping, call the 1-800-631-4791 # at LogRite with a credit card number and an amount to pledge (TamIam will not process anything until the cant hook order is completed with alsayyed). When our contributions reach the total for shipping costs, TamIam will stop accepting them and ship.
I'm in for a minimum of $10, or the balance if we don't meet the total.

Post in this thread with questions or PM me.  This should be fun.  :)

south central Wisconsin

Tam-i-am

We are about half way there just after a few hours.  This truly is an amazing place.

Tamiam

Part_Timer

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Greg Cook

We Tennesseeans can't resist a chance to VOLUNTEER so I'll make the call tomorrow ;D

Merry Christmas, Alsayyed !
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

alsayyed

I thank you people very well from the bottom of my heart. You do not know how much I enjoyed your company reading this forum. I have to confess that I have learned too much from this forum, especially the chainsaw forum and the Drying and Processing  wood forum. This is why you people so helpful. Because when we die nothing we will take with us to the grave only the good work and the good behavior so keep up the good work and helping hand to the others going on and I am very sure God will bless each step we will do to help each other. I am going to call logrite tools and pass them the credit card over the phone, and cannot wait till I get that tools because I have few logs need to be rolled.

Thank you for every one.

Tam-i-am

I have enjoyed talking to all the members who have made donations.

We have reached the shipping amount.

I'll instant message everyone once we ship.

And I'll post to let everyone else know.

Tammy

metalspinner

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce

beenthere

Tammy
That's just great!
Many thanks for your help making this work for us and for alsayyed.
This forum is special, for sure.
Thanks go to the forum members as well.
To alsayyed, thanks for hanging in there when things were not working so well in the beginning.
We'll continue to look forward to hearing about your projects in Qatar.
south central Wisconsin

Stephen1

I'm Impressed! Way to go everyone!!!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jeff

Thanks everybody!   :)

alsayyed, we will be expecting some photos of you and that LogRite canthook when it arrives! ;):) I know it will serve you well my friend. Thats coming from

LogRite's BIGGEST FAN~!!

Ron Wenrich

Well, I didn't get a chance to donate.   >:(  I don't get too much access to phones during the course of the day.  And, by the time I found out what was going on, it was too late.

But, I think alsayyed under estimated us when he ask about making a cant hook.  He should have asked how to make a sawmill.   ;)

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Raphael

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on December 14, 2006, 05:10:46 PM
Well, I didn't get a chance to donate.   >:(  I don't get too much access to phones during the course of the day.  And, by the time I found out what was going on, it was too late.

I almost suggested when I was on the phone that they just keep collecting until they could slip in a suprise bonus.  I wonder how many people called after the goal was reached?

But, I think alsayyed under estimated us when he ask about making a cant hook.  He should have asked how to make a sawmill.   ;)

:D :D Great idea, we'll get Bibbyman to coordinate with Wood-Mizer!  :D :D
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Jeff

QuoteYa dats a good one! Ya dats a good one! Great idea, we'll get Bibbyman to coordinate with Wood-Mizer!  Ya dats a good one! Ya dats a good one!

Before that, I'd like to ask how to make a 42 inch Plasma T.V. ??? ;D

Furby

Tam-i-am

I heard from Alsayyed and the first LogRite tool goes to Qatar tonight.
Thanks everyone for making this possible.

Tammy

farmerdoug

Jeff,

I thought that you were trying to find out how to make a muzzleloader.  Make up your mind will you. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Jeff

That too.  THe only other thing I want is a fishing pole. Oh, and a boat. Then I'll need a motor. Thats it. And a lake. My own lake. thats all I need. and a cabin. Thats it, thats all I need. If I ask for more Tammy will get really pithed.  I Dont want that. ;D

WDH

You sure don't want to get anybody pithed in this forum......................
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Furby

I might be able to get you a fishing pole, I'm sure there are some willow whips around here someplace.
If I can find that old inner tube, ya get a boat as well!
I'm sure ya got some scrap pieces of wood you can strap to your feet for your motor.
Ya already got a cabin and lake in the backyard! smiley_smug01

Jeff

Furby

Gonna need some fish in that lake though, otherwise folks might think you are crazy. ;)

Jeff

WDH

Why don't you start a post on how to make a fish?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

If you make a fish, we will know for sure that you are crazy!!!!

Furby

Define "make" a fish.
Pretty easy to get some fertilized eggs.............

Jeff

I already know how to fish were made, I read it in Genesis 1:20

Tam-i-am

I have charged all the credit cards and tried to email all the donors, unfortunately I did not get one of the members names.  So here is another thanks to all of you.

Tammy

Greg Cook

Guys. let's give Tammy a big hand for all the extra trouble she took to make this happen for Alsayyed.  It's good to have folks like her helping to sponsor this forum.
smiley_clapping smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_clapping smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_wavy smiley_clapping pinkie_invert pinkie_invert

Thanks to all of you that pitched in or wanted to.  I'm glad to be a small part of such a great group of people.  If only all our neighbors were as upstanding as the folks on here...what a fine world we'd have.

May God bless y'all !

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

Tam-i-am

Thanks and no problem.

For all of you who want to follow the progress of the package you sent, the UPS tracking number is  1Z Y80 0W4 66 5327 8754

It left here and went to Hartford, CT; Windsor Locks, CT; Louisville, KY; Philadelphia, PA.

That tool is going to see alot of places!

Jeff

Raphael

That's great!  Thank you Tammy, you're the best.

Do you folks at LogRite ever have an open house?
I was thinking you might catch quite a few interested customers during the weekend of the CT sheep and wool festival there in Tolland.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Jeff

Well, that cant hook is in DUBAI Already!!! 8)

Corley5

It's getting to Qatar faster than it would make it to Michigan ::)  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

Wow
In two days, its within 100 miles of Qatar.  Even going via KY to get to PA from CT.  Impressive service.
south central Wisconsin

metalspinner

I ordered one the day before and still don't have it. :-\

farmerdoug

Maybe they think it is something the military ordered.  ::) You know Logrite just sounds like a name for a military contractor don't you think? ;) ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Jeff

If that was me they were shipping I would be stuck in Atlanta and my luggage would be in timbucktoo  8)

Furby

I'm wondering if they cut the handle in half to get through customs inspection.

Jeff

I doubt it. If it was coming in this way then maybe.

Furby

Raphael

Usually a UPS shipment to Warren, CT looses a day getting routed from Waterbury, CT out to the wrong depot and then back to Waterbury for rerouting.  I was pretty impressed that they could get a shipment from Tolland to Dubai in less time than from Tolland to Warren (a journey of ~60 miles).  Was the 17th the sabbath in Dubai?
  I can imagine a couple of customs inspectors sitting there in Dubai trying to decide what this wierd thing is and what possible use it has...  Can't have many peaveys out in that part of the world.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Tam-i-am

I got an email from Alsayyed.  His tool got there today.  He said he will send pics tomorrow.

Tammy

Jeff

That just amazes me how quick that was. 

farmerdoug

I guess that is why they charged so much for the shipping. :)
After all they say you get what you pay for, you know. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

farmerdoug

Jeff,

Don't you have that wrong.  I think you mean that your luggage would be in Atlanta and you would be in Timbucktoo. :D :D :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Bro. Noble

Quote from: Jeff B on December 18, 2006, 12:54:38 PM
That just amazes me how quick that was. 

It might not be so amazing to you if you saw how our UPS guy drives :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

alsayyed

Just to let every one know that I have received the log peavey  at early in the morning around 9:00 am while you people are sleeping because of the time difference 8 hours. I have tried it very nice very nice I will show you tomorrow the big logs that are very heavy I just use the peavey  and made it easy, so tomorrow I will post pics. I thank every body that shared the donation very nice of you.
By the way Raphael just to correct you that I am not in Dubai, I am in Qatar. It took me 2 minutes in the UPS office then put it in my car in headed towards the house.
Thank you again.

Raphael

Quote from: alsayyed on December 18, 2006, 02:45:55 PM

By the way Raphael just to correct you that I am not in Dubai, I am in Qatar.

Indeed, I'm well aware of that but at the time I posted the UPS website listed the peavey as having been in Dubai,AE for over 30hrs. without a departure scan.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

alsayyed

I have used the peavey hook oh fellows let me tell you  it dose make a difference to me, before I used to have 3 friends to roll that log know I do it by my self. Very nice and helpful tool.

beenthere

Thanks for the pics, and glad you are enjoying the new hook.

But did ya then have to paint everything else blue to match the hook?   ;D
south central Wisconsin

Phorester

By golly... there be LOGS in Qatar!

Furby

Tom

I'm reminded of a cartoon I saw one time.  The picture was of a desert with sand dunes.  Way out on the horizon was a single palm tree.  It had "comma" looking marks on either side of it, as if it were being shaken.

On the dunes, leading from the foreground to the tree in the distant background were bulldozer tracks.  They were broken as the dozer went up the face of the dunes and down the backsides at a different angle.  The bulldozer was ramming the only tree in the landscape.  they were just little specks on the horizon.

I'm sure the artist must have had a message he was trying to get across to the reader, but, I thought it a mighty funny scene.  :D

alsayyed

this is true not many logs in Qatar. only you might find in farms, or old houses becuase we get very few rain during the winter season especially in December for almost 3 to 4 days and then stops. i wish if can find logs that easy.

Phorester

Yep, TOM, saw that cartoon. I thought it was funny and unfortunately appropriate too.

Reminds me of the old joke about the feller that applied for a job as a logger.  The foreman asked about his experience.  The guy said, I helped log the Sahara Forest.  Foreman, you mean the Sahara Desert?.  The guy said, that's what they call it now........

Thank You Sponsors!