iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

? 4 my Yankee Bretheren . . . .

Started by TexasTimbers, December 08, 2006, 08:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I can't keep my feet warm in winter no matter what i do. Oh if I pile the socks on and jam the feet into a pair of insulated boots I might get lucky, but I can't motorvate very well that way.

I have always had a problem with cold feet, so it's a genetics thing but there has to be some tricks I don't know about. i even googled "heated socks" and "battery powered socks" etc and nothing seems practical.

Y'all fellers Yoos guys up North are bound to have figured this out by now what is the trick? I'm miserable!

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

metalspinner

I was told by a northerner once that the secret to not being cold in the cold was to relax all of your muscles.  And it works, too - until you start shivering. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

logbutcher

Quote from: kevjay on December 08, 2006, 08:58:04 AM
I can't keep my feet warm in winter no matter what i do. Oh if I pile the socks on and jam the feet into a pair of insulated boots I might get lucky, but I can't motorvate very well that way.

I have always had a problem with cold feet, so it's a genetics thing but there has to be some tricks I don't know about. i even googled "heated socks" and "battery powered socks" etc and nothing seems practical.

Y'all fellers Yoos guys up North are bound to have figured this out by now what is the trick? I'm miserable!

So am I listening to this,  :D   Soooooooo---

1. Cut whining.
2. Harvest some of your mesquite. Then buck it, haul it, split it, burn it.
3. OR, mill some of that scrub oak near those "doggies".
4. If 1,2,and 3 don't work to warm those pinkies, try the Eskimo thing for the old ones:
"take a loooong walk on the ice."  ;D :D

"We 'Northerners' "  :o, do have some "tricks" called EFFORT 8)

MERRY CHRISTMAS

TexasTimbers

I made this post knowing full well I was opening myself up to ridicule, but I figured if I got one single tip that would help then it would be worth it.

So, thanks for the tip metalspinner, telling me to relax is a good suggestion I am always a little high strung cold or not.  :)

As to effort, I doubt you hang with me butsherboy coldfeet or not.  ;)

Paul_H

I heard a saying somewhere that went something along the lines of

'if your feet are cold,put on a hat'

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DanG

I think it is all the freezing and thawing that goes on down here, Kevjay.  Them Yankee's feets go numb about the end of Septober, and stay that way until the middle of May.  Their feet are cold, but they don't know it. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D I wear light cottonsocks under 1 or 2 lb wool ones. This refers to the weight of 1 dozen pair of socks so these are the lighter ones. Get a comfortable pair of boots with thick soles large enough to trap some air around the feet and keep them treated with a water repellent like dubbin. Wet feet are cold feet.
If the boots get soaked, stuff them with newspaper and let them dry but don't put them near high heat.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ohsoloco

I typically wear a heavy pair of "hunting socks" with a set of boots.  It depends how cold it is whether I put on the insulated boots or not.  If I'm moving around a lot and it's not bitterly cold, I can't wear insulated boots cuz my feet start to sweat.  The only thing worse than cold feet is wet feet, and it's already been mentioned that they're closely related  ;)

Sawguy, I'm curious why you mention not putting your boots near high heat  ???  If my boots get soaked I will set them next to the woodstove for a day to dry out.  Yes, they're a little tighter when I put them back on, but haven't noticed any other ill effects. 

RichlandSawyer

kevjay, goodmorning!

i have a couple suggestions for you. Too many socks can make you colder then not enough, if your toes dont have room to wiggle then the blood cant flow and cold is soon to follow. Check out cabelas or Bass Pro and find yourself a pair of thinsulate socks, they will give you room and wick away moisture. Another problem is if you are on the move a lot your feet can easily sweat and that will lead to cold feet so try changing your socks at lunchtime. Last Paul_h has a very good point a good hat can keep the whole body warm, but for feet a pair of longjohn bottoms or a pair of thin pants that will slip over your jeans will make quite a difference too. If your legs start to get cold then your body turns off the blood flow to your feet to keep your legs warm. My personal secret is to do something fun! if i'm working i freeze if i'm hunting i dont notice the cold, funny how that works.

RichlandSawyer
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

sawguy21

Putting them near the woodstove should be o.k. but too much heat will dry and crack the leather. Paul brings up a very good point, a lot of heat is lost through an uncovered head, especially for us follically challenged guys. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

leweee

just get them feet closer to the wood stove fire_smiley :D I have boots that are one size bigger for freezing weather.....tight boots=cold feet. ;)    next I have socks with a high wool content....My nieghbours wife...Kards,spins & knits them from her flock of wooly critters. Keep them dry so you have dry socks in the morning. If your feet sweat a lot, change them at noon.  ;D or better yet if you have lunch near a woodstove take them boots off ...get your feet elevated & relax. :)

PS if you find your lunch break keeps getting longer you know your too relaxed. :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Jeff

My procedure is to wear one pair of cotton socks inside a pair of removable felt pac boots like sorels.  Make sure the boot is not tight so you yave breathing room for your feet as mentioned. The most important part of keeping your feet warm day to day is take those felts out EVERY night and place somewhere they can dry before you put them on the next day. what really gets your feet cold is the moisture they create during the day. The felts will keep that moisture away from your feet, and in turn, its your job every day to get the moisture away from your felts.  Take it from a guy that used to sit in a sawbooth 10 hours a day not moving his feet other then to steel peddles on a floor that was not insulted, but was elevated and exposed to air as gold as it gets when you are running a mill.  It works.  Heavy socks dont. Multiple socks dont.  Expensive boots dont, unless you can remove the moisture from those boots every day. If they dont have removable pacs, then you have to find a boot dryer somewhere. That moisture has to be removed or your feet will get cold.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

Quote from: leweee on December 08, 2006, 10:55:46 AM
 or better yet if you have lunch near a woodstove take them boots off ...get your feet elevated & relax. :)

Don't forget to de-elevate your feet before going back to work,it's hard to be productive when your butt is dragging. ;)

Coon

It is called THINSULATE and use a pair of warm socks.  Keep your feet dry as well.  I go out in a pair of thinsulate boots in -40C and don't have to worry.  Also if you are worried about having hard toe boots for the cold get carbon fibers NOT steel.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Bro. Noble

I've always had a problem with cold feet since I've got to be in the wet conditions of the dairy barn and outside doing chores.  I've had heavy insulated rubber boots that kept my feet dry,  but were too heavy to do much walking.

A couple of years ago a friend told me I ought to get some boots like he was wearing (it was summer time) and he isn't even a farmer.  They are called 'muck boots' and are lightweight and hold up better than any dairy boots I've had.  They are warm in the winter and cool in the summer.  I always wear them to the barn and also to the mill when it is wet or cold.  They sell for around $6o dollars at most farm stores or online,  but one local feed store has them for $45.  They also sell a taller, cameo version for huntersfor around $100.  It got down to 6 or 8 degrees last night and it wasn't my feet I was afraid of freezing off :D :D  We decided to wait till noon to work at the mill.  I'll be wearing my muck boots ;D  Now as far as what to wear when it's cold like in yankeeland-----I'd just sit by the fire if I had the choice.  
milking and logging and sawing and milking

thurlow

Far as  drying your boots...........I've had a pair of them electrisitical boot dryers for years; they work great.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

beenthere

Silk socks under wool socks, and leave plenty of room to wiggle the toes, and dry out the felt liners. (my fix for cold feet, as well as silk t-shirt under wool shirt to handle sweat when working in the woods when it is cold).

Good blood circulation in one's feet is another plus. Those without it have more of a struggle to keep the toes warm. Keeping the toes dry is a must, one way or another.

Tolerance of cold is a plus, as some people have more than others (pain tolerance I suspect) and DanG probably is close to the answer (again :)).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

leweee

Quote from: Paul_H on December 08, 2006, 11:10:44 AM

Don't forget to de-elevate your feet before going back to work,it's hard to be productive when your butt is dragging. ;)

Paul ...you sure you weren't my boss in a previous life :o ::) :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Paul_H

TexasTimbers

great suggestions all. I think I will take all of them, add them together, and get the sum total which would look somethingn like . . . .

I just got back from that largest retailer in the world with a new pair of lightweight scooters. thinsulated. Wicking built in. Steel toe (couldn't find any without it), brrrr, but so far they are working pretty good.
I have more than my share of boots, insulated and not, biut none of them are this lightweight so I can hop around on rafters with etc.

It's 11:11 and it is still too slippery to be decking this roof up there but I I got no choice.

thanks for all the tips I will read them all thoroughly later. PaulH go back to work and get them feets away from that warm farr.  ;D

Burlkraft

Kevjay,

I got 2 words fer ya...electric socks

I always had cold feet. Tried a pair deer huntin' one year and I'll never sit all day in a stand without them... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Paul_H

I tried electric socks once but found that lugging the generator around made me tired and the noise scared the deer away.

DR_Buck

Quotelightweight scooters. thinsulated. Wicking built in. Steel toe

Guess my response is to late.     I was gonna say all of what has been mentioned is good, except stay away from the steel toes in the winter!
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

crtreedude

My wife, who's family has lived in the North for 350 years has the following solution. Find the bare back of your husband, stick your cold feet on it until he either screams or they warm up.

My solution - move to where you never have cold feet.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

TexasTimbers

Yeah the steel toe is not hurting me that much it seems. Got one side decked already so maybe it is the activity. Feet not WARM but not FREEZING  either. Just kinda cool. But they are perspiriiring, um can't spell that word, sweating, too so I dunno. Maybe a different sock tomorrow.

hey Fred I noticed your soultion to everything is to move to CR. That would cure the cold feet. Hows taxes down there I hate paying all these DanGed taxes up here.

Thank You Sponsors!