iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wooooooooo DAWGY!!!!!!

Started by TexasTimbers, December 06, 2006, 07:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

For those of you who have been "....meaning to get around to it....." when it comes to opening up your muffler, all I can say is push it up high on the priority list.

I have had my muffler off (Hilda the 372) a couple of times and didn't go through with it because I would get side-tracked or just plain hesitant that I was going to screw it up and I would get online and read another article about it but not actually do it.

Well yesterday I did and man-o-man the place where I read somewhere that you gain about 10% power can't be right. It's awesome 8).

I' not sure I needed to even get the 395 this 372 is a scorcher!.

I laid the 20" bar into a walnut yesterday that took the whole blade and she didn't bog down even a little, so I put all my weight into it and she just slowed a little . I even TRIED to get the chain to stop but I was through the cut before I could make it happen.

I think of all the times when I was cutting hardwood wondering if I should stop and talke the time to make this modification - all I can say is I WISH I HAD DONE IT SOONER!

Geez. I can't imagine what Helga (the 395) will be like when she gets her new muffler. Dangerous thats what. I think if you could keep a blade sharp you could cut a battleship in half with her.

just be fore-warned, the first time you fire off your new machine after the mod, and it IS a new machine, be prepared to get goose bumps. It won't sound like the same animal.

Wooooooooooo DAWGY!  8) 8) 8)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Steven A.

Can someone tell me about this modification? I have a Stihl 025 I'd be willing to try that on.

Steve

Ed

Yup, it makes a world of difference. My 046 has a factory dual port muffler on it. One heck of an improvment.
Now you just need to get the saw ported.  :D

Ed

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Steven A. on December 06, 2006, 08:47:57 AM
Can someone tell me about this modification? I have a Stihl 025 I'd be willing to try that on.

Steve

Go to the Search function and click the Check All box and it will uncheck all the boxes, then check the Chainsaw box, then type in "Muffler Mods". You will find alot of stuff to read and be sure to dig out those embedded links like to Madsens and arboristsite.com etc.

Oh heck never mind I did it for you  :)

Click Here

sawguy21

Be sure to wear ear protection. That puppy will bark like a big dog. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ga_Boy

I opened up my 361, that beast screams...... 8) 8) 8) 8)
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

leweee

kevjay Welcome to the world of modded saws. 8)  Its a good idea to tach the saw & make sure you arn't too lean. Hard to believe that all that power was hiding behind that "anal retentive" muffler. Ads new meaning to the expression " LOUD & PROUD" 8)

PS Keep your eyes open for those" EPA chainsaw cops"... they will be gunnen for you and that "Bad Boy Saw" :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Al_Smith

Just a little heads up about tweeking a muffler.If you allow more air to flow,what is exactly what a muffler mod is,you need more fuel in the mix.If you don't set your high speed jet richer,beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt,the thing will lean sieze on you.

My suggestion is to do a little reading,this site as well as many others that deal with saws has many threads on the subject.I would also recommend you take it a little at a time,bigger is not always better.

A muffler mod will get the most gains on the engine,the cheapest.

TexasTimbers

Good advice. I had already decided I am not going to use it anymore until I dig up that Madsens article I printed off in the last century on how to tune one after a muffler mod. I went looking for the site just now and it is gone. Finding the article is gonna be a chore.

I'm going to go through the archives here first and then arboristsite and see what I caan find.

The tach I have only goes to 9999 I noticed earlier today. I could have swore the info claimed it would read up to 17500 or something like that. Now I have to order a new tach. Any suggestions. Okay, I'll search the archives for that too.

TexasTimbers

I can't find my printed copy of the Madsens guide to tune the saw by ear. Anyone have it on disk perchance and could re-post it? I didn't find it in the archives other than links and they are of course dead.

I want to use the saw today but I don't have a tach that will go that high yet, and I need to set the carb so that it isn't too lean.

I have read extensively the archives this morning and learned alot, but it made for more questions too. I know I shouldn't be running 50:1 but don't know whether 32:1 is too drastic either. I am thinking I should stay with 40:1

Also I meant to find out how I can tell whether the saw has a rev limiter or not but could not find that either.

Edit: If date of purchase (don't know date of manufacture right now) matters as to how you can tell whether it has a limiter or not, I bought the saw in April of last year from Bailey's.

lmbeachy

I went home after reading about this and cut a small hole in the muffler on my Sthil 390, it is hard to believe the difference it makes. I did turn the mixture up some, also had to open the idle jet a little to make so it would idle. I have a 066 Magnum, has anybody tried a mod on them, or should you just leave them alone. Lester
hotfoot

TexasTimbers

I can only go on what it sounds like here . . .  it sounds like you " . . . went home and cut a small hole in your muffler . . . " now I know you didn't fail to remove the muffler etc.?  ???

You don't want metal chips getting into your cylinder. That spells THE END.  If you simply drilled a hole then take the muffler off, remove the spark plug, get the shop vac, suck the heck out of your cylinder AND your spark plug hole even though they are right there pretty close together and going into the same place, and hope like heck no permanent damage is already done. Suck the muffler too. De-burr everything you drilled/grinded/cut. Heat can cause thin metal edges to come off and blow-back into the cylinder.

Better yet, take her down to parade rest if you know how or take it to your small engine dude and fess up. better to eat a little humble pie than eat an expensive saw like that.
Now I KNOW you didn't do that but I am just saying these mistakes are not hard to overlook in one's excitment to gain more HP  . . . . 

You also want to make sure your hole equals 80 - 85% of your actual EXHAUST port from everything I have read. I stand to be corrected (which hapens often ::)) Measure the port in cu inches or mm or whatever you want and multiply times .8 or .85 and that shole be the new opening size.

Anyway, apart from all that it is fairly shocking the difference ain't it!?  8)

Edit: changed bad info from intake to exhaust.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

TexasTimbers

yep i found that page already. The site is closed down though and you cannot access anything from it except the history and the stuff you see there. I had already called the number on the page and talked to Ed. He said he doesn't think they have a copy and the guy that ran the site is gone.  ::)

What to do. I decided to hang rafters today. in a 35 mph gusts, R-E-A-L C-O-L-D wind.  :-\

I am frozen and can hardly type. Back to the balancing beams  . . . . . . . .

SwampDonkey

Quote from: leweee on December 06, 2006, 11:20:16 AM
PS Keep your eyes open for those" EPA chainsaw cops"... they will be gunnen for you and that "Bad Boy Saw" :D :D :D

Yup, included in that are DNR, WCB and if on crown lands, the company inspectors as well.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

I won't tempt fate by saying it can't happen but, it ain't likelyt to happen anywhere i will be. Unless they are watching the forum and decide to teach me a lesson :o
Even then, they gotta follow me into the bush.  I love the EPA. they are great people :-*  :D

lmbeachy

Yep, I pulled the muffler before drilling a small hole and then grinding out a little larger opening on the final outlet. Also, deburred all new cuts, and cleaned muffler before reinstalling it.

hotfoot

Cut4fun

Now you really want to get the potential out of a stock 372. Send it to Big Dave Nieger in MI. I have a 357 and a 7900 he has had his hands in modding and they make them seem like night and day compared to stock. The 372 stock, Oh hummm, but with a woods port job them suckers fly.

woodhick

imbeachey, what size hole did you put in your 390.  I have one and would like to make this mod but not sure what size hole?  Also did you just drill and ream hole or did you weld any type of pipe into it as I have seen others do?   Can you really tell the difference in the saw.   Thanks. ???
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

lmbeachy

I pulled the muffler and drilled a 5/16 hole in the front part of the muffler. bypassing the baffles. The when I put the spark arrester screen on and was going to replace the front cover I realized that the opening on the front cover was still the same size. I then used my Belsaw sharpener to grind out the outlet on the front cover. I cleaned out the muffler good and deburred all the cut edges. Did I see a difference, man you won't believe it until you try it.
hotfoot

parrisw

I have a modded 288xp(walkerized), the muffler is also modded, and I have a stock 394xp, and the sound is way different, the 288 barks way more then my 394, I love the sound of it.  I really want to do it to my 394 too.  ;D :)

TexasTimbers

I want to do it to my 395 too, but I never seem to get past my 372. It handles everything I run across.  8)

Of course once I get to slabbing I will be glad I did.

parrisw

Yes, true, honestly, I ve only used my 394 twice since I got it, just for kicks.  My Walkerized 288xp is a BRUTE running a 28" bar, it rips through anything with ease. 

parrisw

So if I m reading this right, you want your exhause opening 80-85% of the intake port, does that include the orignal exhaust port plus your new port?? or your new port is 80-85% of the intake port.

Thanks

TexasTimbers

parrisw,

I had a brain fart in the post where I said that. It is not 85% of the intake port but the exhaust port. I will modify that after this post. And since posting that and having done even more research I have read elswhere where 85% is a number, unofficilaly tossed out by manufacturers to keep the general DIYer from blowing up his saw.
I don't know who tossed it out there orginally but someone did and it doesn't matter. Some guys think 100 - 110% is best.
Keep in mind, when you measure your modified opening you have to take into account the factory openings which, unless you close them will be part of the equation. You also have to consider the mesh guage on the spark arrestor you install. It can "close" your new opening so to speak to the tune of 50%! Alot has to be considered.
I just got a new muffler I bought off ebay for my 372 because I was not happy with the way I did my mod aesthetically.
Plus I had talked to Don Walker after I did my mod and came away with some info that made me want to redo it.
My advice is not to do it until you are sure you have gathered all the info and then take a crack at it. But whatever you do, make sure you do it!  8)

Thank You Sponsors!