iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plant or Eat?

Started by Mooseherder, December 05, 2006, 07:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Planted 20 in containers tonight and threw away 8 dead ones. :(
I gotta 30% growth/plant chance. :D
Husked 1 tonight. It was DanG good. Also got a half cup of Juice outta it.
Got 5 left to eat or plant until more fall.
One hit the Company Car fender a few days ago from 35ft up. :'(

Jeff

Well, I know what I would do. It just wouldnt seem right to plant them here in Michigan. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

That sure does bring back memories of childhood.  We would sit on the curbing and pound the end of the husk on the street until it broke and we could pull it off.  Sometimes a stick would help, if we had a stick.  :D

Mooseherder

Tonight I used a sheet rock knife to slice the husk in 2 inch strips and peeled a little at a time.  Thats why more get planted than eaten. :D

Mooseherder

Finally got first Coconut Sprout from this planting back in December.
Don't remember it taking this long before.
It took over 7 months this time.

Tom

I heard that the Palm Yellows was not as bad anymore.  It that right?   It almost cleaned out Florida of coconuts.

Mooseherder

I think the Jamaican Talls were pretty much wiped out by the Lethal Yellow and replaced with resistant coconut varieties from the keys on up to Vero. Some were also killed by freezing temps. There may still be some on the West Coast of Florida. Some areas of the South America continues to spread the LY. Same type disease affected Date Palms of Texas. We have 3 different varieties in the yard, Maypans which are the tallest, Green Malayans and Golden Malayan which often brings up comments from visitors about it like, " is it LY disease".
Me: Nope, Dats da way it is supposed to be. ;)
I gave my Neighbor across the street 4 Maypans a few years ago. They were about 6 ft. They are an older Jamaican couple and he knows how to fertilize coconuts cause they are getting real big for their age. He has got a smaller coconut up front center he put in later from someone else.

Tom

Did you pick his head on how to fertilize coconuts?   That could be some good general knowledge to spread around.  :D

Mooseherder

I've been meaning to ask him that Tom. :D
Will ask next time I see him for the brethern. Here is a Golden Malayan that got bent with high winds and wet ground. After growing sideways for a while it is now on it's way back up. The top frond is close to twenty feet.

The largest of our Goldens broke right at the base on the backside of Hurricane Wilma. It almost made it. The storm was over a few minutes after it came down. :(

Tom

I don't know one species from another.  The ones that i'm familiar with when I was growing up were t-a-a-all trees.  The one in Granddad's front yard was bent some too.  Not a kid in the neighborhood could pass it by without taking a running start and see how far up the tree he could touch with his foot. The base was swollen and went up about 4 ft. before it started to go straight up.  At about 5 feet, on the backside, was an oval wound about the size of your fist.  We used to put notes in there when we played Army.  How many times I tried to get a nut from the top of the tree before it's time.   Never did.  But, when you were least expecting it, there would be one laying on the ground.  Getting a coconut was a good reason for everybody to have one.  We would scour the neighborhood until we each had a nut, then sit on the curbing, in front of the house, and pound it on the road until the end was macerated and the husk was cracked enough to begin stripping the nut.  The milk was a treasure and the meat would make us stop on our work with the other nuts and we would all join in on feasting with the first nut cracked. 

Coconuts are great Kid trees.

beenthere

Mooseherder
That is a fine looking yard you have there.   :) :)

Nice and green.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Thanks BT. :)
What a difference a month makes. :)
Here is a months growth.

Patty

Well that is just way cool! So what about the coconuts that can be bought at the grocery store...can I just plop one in the dirt and wait for it to sprout? Is coconut a tree that will grow indoors? Do I need to do something to the nut to get it to sprout? So many questions... :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Mooseherder

You could try a grocery store coconut as an experiment or I can mail you one with a husk on it or send you one that has just sprouted/broken thru the husk. My success rate for sprouting is about 30%. This batch is only at 10% so far.(8+ months)
Coconuts like Full Sun and alot of water so indoors would be an experiment also.
The only thing I do to them is whack a cross thru the husk with a machete after it is in a stable pot. The sprout usually comes out where I whacked the cross but sometimes comes thru the side.

crtreedude

We have so many coconuts we feed them to pigs at times. They are everywhere. Lots are sprouted too. We don't do anything special to sprout them, just not eat them.

We have one next to our house - too close. One of the tasks is to get rid of any developing coconuts so that they don't fall on our heads.

By the way, have you tried green coconut juice? Natures Gatorade!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Mooseherder

Quote from: crtreedude on August 26, 2007, 02:30:12 PM
By the way, have you tried green coconut juice? Natures Gatorade!
Yes, it is very good when they are still in the green stage of growth.
The meat is more of a gelatin and the juice is great. That is the only way our Jamaican neighbors eat them. The problem with that is they generally do not fall off the tree at that stage and are way too high up in the tree to knock off.
We also worry about the coconuts and fronds falling on us. It wouldn't be pretty.

crtreedude

We have workers who just climb up the trunk and knock them off - pretty impressive to watch it.

Mooseherder

Got a few more the last couple months.  My policy of not throwing things out is catchin' up with me. :D

Tom, I asked the Jamaican neighbor what he was using to fertilize his coconut trees.  He is going to the dump and gettin the recycled peat they are producing from yard waste.  He just puts it around the base of the tree and it gets watered down to the roots.

Reddog

Thats starting to look like a rock pile up north. ;)

crtreedude

I ran across an interesting stat not too long ago. More people die from a coconut falling on their head than from a shark attack. Just shows we generally worry about the wrong thing.

Mooseherder

Quote from: crtreedude on March 15, 2008, 06:42:52 PM
I ran across an interesting stat not too long ago. More people die from a coconut falling on their head than from a shark attack. Just shows we generally worry about the wrong thing.
We do worry about that.  One of the trees is along the driveway.
Then the dogs will always seem to go around the tree to do their business.

zopi

I bet watching a hog munch into a coconut husk is a sight to see...

MMMMM---coconut pork.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

crtreedude

It is one of the jobs of our gardner to remove the green coconuts from the palm next to our house.

Dave Shepard

CRT, you just have to be sure you are worrying about the right thing at the right time. It would do you no good to worry about coconuts while swimming in shark infested waters.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

zopi

but
Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 15, 2008, 08:36:09 PM
CRT, you just have to be sure you are worrying about the right thing at the right time. It would do you no good to worry about coconuts while swimming in shark infested waters.

Dave

But it would qualify you for certain government jobs...<GRIN>
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!