iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

UHMW Lubricant, Acme Thread Lubricant

Started by Trent, December 03, 2006, 03:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

What is a good lube for UHMW slides? Is petroleum lube on acme threads (steel on steel) a problem around sawdust? What is this "size=9pt" in the window I'm typing? Why is the sky blue? Will I ever be completely done with my mill?
Can't fish, can't hunt, don't care about sports. Love to build, machine, fabricate.      Trent Williams

rebocardo

> Is petroleum lube on acme threads (steel on steel) a problem around sawdust?

I do not know what mill you refer to, but, when using my chain saw mill I learned not to lube things with PB Blaster, grease, etc. because it really collects the sawdust and shavings and packs so tight into the threads that the only way to move something mounted on threaded rod is to clean out the threads with a brush.

Silicon spray does alright.

Tom

Grease works on the steel just fine.  It's the presence of sawdust that makes the mess.  Sawdust, especially the fine stuff that comes from bandsaws, makes a great "picker-upper".  Some folks use it for Oil-Dry.

The sawdust mixes with the grease and oil, and before long you have bare metal again.  What sawdust and grease remains, gets packed into zerks and other openings making them almost unusable.

The spray-on white lithium grease works OK.  Cooking spray works, after a fashion.  Wax does a mediocre job (it's dry).   Silicone does a fair job but can get on the lumber and cause someone down the road a lot of problems with paint or other finishes.  Automatic Transmission Fluid works when applied frequently with a squirt can. 

The best thing to use around a sawmill is rolling stock, sealed bearings and cam followers.  That makes design around an acme thread difficult.  The next best thing would be a boot to keep the sawdust out.  The third best thing being the lubricants.

The "Size" stuff you see in your reply window came from clicking on "Font size".  To use those buttons highlight the verbiage that you want affected and then click the button.  It will banner the sentence or paragraph with the proper tags.  The beginning tag for Fonts is [size=9pt] where the 9 is the size of type to be used.  The ending tag is [/size]  .  The affected verbiage will fall between them.

You can experiment with the tags by using the preview option at the bottom of the reply window.

DanG

"Slip Plate", a graphite based paint, works ok on sliding surfaces, but I've switched to Rust Reaper.  It doesn't tend to collect sawdust as badly as other lubricants.  It is an excellent, long-lasting lubricant.  You can order it right here on the Forum. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Larry

Here ya go.

Works quite well on the acme thread rods on my mill.

Something else ya might try is chain lubricate for a bicycle...I've been using something called "White Lightening" on the table saw rack & pinion.  Doesn't collect near as much sawdust and when it is time for maintenance it is a lot cleaner than graphite based products.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Brian_Rhoad

I use chain saw bar oil on my acme threads. It does'nt seem to collect the sawdust as bad as other oils and it stays on the threads because it is sticky.

Percy

Quote from: Trent on December 03, 2006, 03:02:29 PM
  Why is the sky blue? Will I ever be completely done with my mill?

Seein as all the other stuff has been covered, the sky is blue cause the atmosphere refracts blue light from the sun causing it to bounce everywhere makin us see blue(uhhh I think :D).

I bought a brand new mill 4 years AGOand I aint done with it. When you sell it and take up the nose flute, you will be done with your mill. Till then, enjoy ;D :D ;D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Kcwoodbutcher

The UHMW slides require no lubricant, in fact adding lubricant will make them less slippery. I've seen some lubricants which contain small teflon particles in a volatile base. Spray it on , the base evaporates and the teflon particles coat the metal and fill any pits or voids.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Thank You Sponsors!