iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Top 5 Favorite movies of all time

Started by Shawn, December 02, 2006, 12:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thurlow

Nor me; my wife's seen it enough for all of us.   Tried to read the book many years ago;  couldn't do it.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

DR Buck

This thread has taken a number of twists, as most of the longer ones do......

QuoteTop 5 Favorite movies of all time

Six pages already and not a single mention of my all time most faviorate movie.  Saw it as a young kid at the drive-in theater sitting on the ground outside the parents car.

El Cid   -  Charlton Heston

I even got to visit the site on the south coast of Spain where the actual real life story (legend) took place and walked through the castle remains.

Next 4 in no particular order:

Longest Day
                Midway
                Blue and the Gray
                Gettysburg
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Tom

Ah yes!   A growing Ships compliment of the HMS GWTW (Have Missed Seeing Gone With The Wind)

So far its a Corvette with the blistering speed of long days and hard nights.  Many more members and it may take on the nomenclature of a ...Frigate.    ;D :D

thurlow

I think I did read that'un when I'se a teenager.......... Nicholas Monsarratt's "HMS Corvette" or was that "The Cruel Sea"..........can't remember if that's one book or two. :-[
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Jeff

Quote from: woodmills1 on December 05, 2006, 06:58:37 AM
The next time you watch bullet count how many hubcaps fall off in the chase scenes. :o :D

The first one, then the second one, then the third one, then two at once which adds up to 5  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Well Tom,  I guess it'd be easy to say you don't know what you're missing – not having seen Gone With the Wind – that is.

I recommend renting it when you've got 4 hours clear on your schedule.  Make sure you've got a gallon of popcorn and a liter of Coke.  It has an entr'acte in the middle of about 15 minutes so you can take a stretch and get a fresh supply of popcorn and Coke.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

Well frankely,  Tom,  I just don't give a DanG :D :D :D

I'm just kidding,  I agree with Bibb,  that's a classic that everyone otter see-----just after to Kill a Mocking bird,  Oh Brother,  and second hand lions :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SPIKER

Talking about car movies & hubcaps flying off:D  Bullet I think tops the list, but if ya watch the old gone in 60 seconds I think the lead mustang looses about 8 hubcaps, I the blue brothers car must loose at least that many  lol...   still a great movie though...   ALso Love the GUMBALL RALLY :)

Not to many shows out there like that one...

Some of th eold classics are good too don't get me wrong, I'm just one of those guys who enjoys a good laugh at the movies. toss in some good ole shanaggiens and I'm there ;)

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Bibbyman

Not on my top five list but I've got to admit I enjoyed Scary Movie, Scary Movie
2, and 3.   They regularly have Scary Movie 2, and 3 on the Dish but I've only seen Scary Movie one time when it came out on VHS.  I'd watch it again.  ;D

Just watched The French Connection again the other evening. Pretty good high-speed car chase in that movie.  It wasn't chasing another car but a subway train.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

yes scary one was not so good but we did laugh at the next two.   and we also love to look for continuity problems like extra hubcaps. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

sawguy21

Smokey and the Bandit was a good laugh. Also Cannonball Run, it was taken fom the Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash organized by Brock Yates of Hot Rod Magazine. The race had a short life, the feds did not see the humor. I still remember Dean Martin " Those guys arent Fathers, theyre MOTHERS."  :D :D :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bibbyman

Oh!  I like to spot goofs!

Did you see the very funny movie "Pure Luck" with Danny Glover and Martin Short?

They took this guy out in the desert and Danny Glover was holding a handgun on him.  As the switched back and forth from over his shoulder back to his face the gun changed from a government model 1911 45 to a Beretta 9mm.
Sawing since '94

Cedarman

I'm in the not seen GWTW group.  Waiting until there is nothing else to do.

Abbot and Costello made some of the funniest movies ever.

I really like Tommy Lee Jones, but couldn't stand The 3 Burials of Miguel .... or whatever the name of that movie was.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WH_Conley

Guess I am with the no Wind crew to. ;D
Bill

Patty

Silverado is another one of my favorites. Gotta love a good western!  smiley_horserider
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Fla._Deadheader

Gettin so any movie that doesn't have filthy language is harder to find. Down here, seems like there is no language limits, day or night  ??? ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bibbyman

Quote from: Patty on December 06, 2006, 07:26:47 AM
Silverado is another one of my favorites. Gotta love a good western!  smiley_horserider

I love a good western too.. But Silverado is not high on my list. 

I guess maybe because it don't have any of the old standard western stars in it. Danny Glover was the best they had in the movie.  I'm not a big Kevin Costner fan.  About the only movie I liked with him in it was "The Untouchables".  Then again, it had Sean Connery in it playing a great role.

I thought Open Range was a great movie but was distracted by Kevin Costner in the lead role.  I kept thinking how much better it'd been with someone else.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

A pretty decent western that no one has mentioned is Nevada Smith.  Which reminds me of  The Carpetbaggers.  And although they aren't among my favorites,  I'm surprised that no one mentioned Giant or The Color Purple, or Lillies of the Field.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paschale

I get surprised sometimes how much I enjoy a good documentary too.  The Lewis and Clark expedition on PBS was great, and so have been a lot of those Ken Burns movies, The Civil War, Baseball, Jazz and the like.  That movie Winged Migration was amazing, and so was the March of the Penguins.  Often, real world/real life is more fascinating and interesting to me than the stuff churned out by hollywood.  Though it depends on my day and the mood.

I watch one documentary for probably every ten normal hollywood movies.  Netflix is great for getting access to all kinds of amazing movies, and giving you recommendations on ones you might like.  Any other netflix fans out there?
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

woodmills1

yep, Netflicks 3 ata time unlimited here......the lovely mrs wood really appreciates it. :D :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

chisel

Quote from: Paschale on December 06, 2006, 03:05:50 PMAny other netflix fans out there?

Big fan here. Much better selection than the local video place, plus I don't have to leave my house, except to go to the mailbox.  ;D

Corley5

Fried Green Tomatoes is another favorite of mine and I haven't seen Gone with the Wind either ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

We get Netflix here,3 at a time.I've seen GWTW 4-5 times.At the time it was quite the movie.Many things were done,that had never been tried in a movie.Sarah,Plain and Tall is a real good Mom movie.I bought the wife all 3.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logbutcher

Quote from: thecfarm on December 06, 2006, 08:26:42 PM
We get Netflix here,3 at a time.I've seen GWTW 4-5 times.At the time it was quite the movie.Many things were done,that had never been tried in a movie.Sarah,Plain and Tall is a real good Mom movie.I bought the wife all 3.

Three (count 'em) "3" at a time !!! :D :D  Not much going on down there in winter ??? 8) 8)

Off topic: Got specifics --name, directions, tel-- on the guy in Brooks who welds logging arches, etc.... ?  Thx.

tlooney

Here are mine:

It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (all star cast)
The Green Berets
Braveheart
Bettter Off Dead
Any spagetti western with Clint Eastwood
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

Thank You Sponsors!