iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any of y'all ever live in a mobile home?

Started by Woodwalker, November 30, 2006, 11:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodwalker

How about a Texas size one ???

With the porch it's 39' x 75'. Somewhere around 200,000 #'s and we left a sun room.
As of now it's back on blocks, waiting on power, sewer and water to be connected.

Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Jeff

How far did ya move it?

Has anyone else seen the mega movers type show on I think either the discovery or Hiatory Channel? Its amazing what can be moved when it needs to be.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

Not quite what I had envisioned.  :D Hey, ya know the the difference between a tornado and a Texas divorce? Not a whole lot, either way the trailer is gone.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Woodwalker

It was right up next to a gravel County Road. It moved 500 yrds. as the crow fly's, a little longer dodging the timber. It's impressive the way they do their jobs. This house had been built onto a couple of times. The center was on pads and blocks; each end was on slabs. The house was raised off the slabs, sills and joist installed under the building, and then the building was lowered back onto the new joists. Beams and dollies were placed under this and the whole thing was hooked to the Autocar.

Don't be talking bout tornadoes and trailer houses; right now we are living in a travel trailer. Course if the thing blows off it could be a blessing. It didn't take long for this thing to shrink.

moosehunter

Ifn were tellin' mobile home jokes...........

Ya hear the Govenours Mansion burnt down in West Virginia?

Yup, all that was left was the axles and wheels :D :D

(disclaimer; this joke was told by a mobile home dweller, me)

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Weekend_Sawyer

Yup I saw it last week, burned right down to the axels. The fire spread to the library
add-a-room where all three books were lost, and 2 of em hadn't even been colored in yet!
the Govenour was spared by his quick action as he jumped in the gubinatorial pickup, rolled it off the hill, poped the clutch and in a burst of blue smoke he one armed it down to the firestation where he rousted the crew, gave them some coffee to sober them up, hitched up the mule and they galloped off to fight the fire. Unfortunatley when they got there the mansion (double wide) was down to the afore mentioned axles, making the remains easy to haul away.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

submarinesailor

Ooohhhh, you guys are ssoo bad. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Qweaver, jump in here and protect your...... ??? ??? ???

Bruce

SwampDonkey

Nope..But, my uncle, father and a couple neighbors hauled a 2 story farm house with tractors chains and logs underneath for 2 miles.   ;D 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thurlow

Well, I don't know about WV, but maybe them folks just West of me (in Arkansaw) would 'splain about their governor's mansion.  Wadn't it.........recently...... a house trailer? ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

tcsmpsi

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Texas Ranger

Woodwalker, did  your wife win and y'all put it where she wanted it?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Coon

You should see when they move one of those wooden grain elevators.  They use two trucks side by side.  Wish I had pics.  Not many of them elevators left around here.  The wooden ones left are all bought up by farmers to save them from being knocked into a pile of rubble.  Guess they are using them for storage now.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

beenthere

Now, I'll just be real thankful I just have to move the furniture around.......

And the mobile home ribbing was priceless.. :D :D...thanks

Not long ago the Mega Movers (??) pprogram showed moving a lighthouse. All pretty impressive.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Qweaver

Quote from: submarinesailor on December 01, 2006, 08:10:44 AM
Ooohhhh, you guys are ssoo bad. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Qweaver, jump in here and protect your...... ??? ??? ???

Bruce
::)  What can I say?  The truth hurts.  :D
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

PawNature

Does he really need a sign that says oversize load :D

ust kidding I know it the law.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Woodwalker

Texas Ranger do you think there is any doubt about who has the last word around here? 

................ yeah, it's right where she wanted it.
We talked to several movers. Most wanted to cut the house into pieces or cut a lot of big hardwood trees. We have a friend we trust in the moving business out in San Antonio who approved of and recommended Cherry Moving out of Houston. It appears to have been a good choice. The only damage I can find is the tab on one roof single and two very small cracks in the sheetrock in the single story section. By small I mean a dab of spackling is all that is needed. We have a lot of things to repair, replace and reconnect. Some related to the move, some just because.

TexasTimbers

I never lived in one, but I landed on one, one time. Back first.  ::)
In case your wondering there was a big tree and little jug of white lightning involved. The real stuff not no label stuff.  I don't do that stuff no more. Iced tea thank you very much.  :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

PineNut

That move sounds like it was much better than what I have seen around here. Houses I have seen that were moved usually showed damage such as cracked drywall and other signs of stress. You were fortunate to have a good mover.

Rockn H

Quote from: thurlow on December 01, 2006, 09:13:16 AM
Well, I don't know about WV, but maybe them folks just West of me (in Arkansaw) would 'splain about their governor's mansion.  Wadn't it.........recently...... a house trailer? ;D

Yes, our distinguished Gov. Huckabee and his fine family lived in one for a while during which time the governors mansion was being renovated.  It was of course a triple wide. :)  I can only say how sorry I am for them folks in WV that they couldn't afford to stick one more trailer on the side of their doublewide. :D ;D ::)

PawNature

I saw on the news other night that the WV Governors mansion caught fire and DanG near burned down the whole trailer court fore they got it put out.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Weekend_Sawyer

I lived in a trailer behind Dad's barn for 6 years, loved it. I thought it would be neat to get another trailer, put them end to end and make a doublelong! :D

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

I lived in a 1968 Marlett Mobile home on a full basement for quite a few years. Thats what are place was on Castor Rd. in North Bradley on the Salt River.  Dad and Uncle Bill built the basement and I can remember that two guys put the trailer on it one handed.  Dad and Bill put I-Beams in the top of the walls of the basement and they used little trolleys to simply crank it across after blocking it up and cutting the axles and tongue off.  Its still there with a new owner now.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

I lived in an old single wide that only had 2x4 framing. That sucker was hard to heat at -20C even with a full roof over it. I always knew when the temp hit -20 because the water lines to the kitchen froze. Some bonehead had routed them around the wall separating the bathroom, where the water heater was, and the bedroom then ran them along the baseboard. ::)

pigman

DanG no,  I never lived in a mobile home. I did live for seven years in a country apartment that had two axles under it.  ;)  When we first married, couldn't afford a new house, the wife being a city girl wouldn't live in a barn , didn't want to drive from an apartment in the city to the farm, so we bought a country apartment with wheels. 8)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Rockn H

Have any of y'all seen the new two story doublewides they have now?

sawguy21

'country apartment with wheels'. I like that one. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

DanG

I'm still a proud member of the Trailer Trash set.  This one is getting old, and it is too small, so we need a new one.  Being retired on a fixed income, we can't afford a new trailer, so we're building a house. :-\

That's a beautiful site your wife picked out, Woodwalker. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Woodwalker

Thanks DanG, I'll get around to posting some more pictures one day.
As a result of the move, a carport has transformed into a right nice mill shed. Cement floor, roof and all. Still trying to figure out how the old house slab can be used.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

johncinquo

My first home purchase in 1996 was a 1980 mobile home that was supposed to be the top of the line model.  Unfortunately we lived in South Dakota!  I had to have it put back on the piers only one time in the 3 years we lived in it so I was pretty lucky. 

We moved a house that belonged to my grandfathers uncle about 3/4 of a mile.  The people that owned it were going to tear it down and the put up a modular home.  (insert crazy here)  They said he could have it for free if he had it moved.  The total cost was about $20,000 that included a new well, all new electric and plumbing, and a 6ft basement.  It now sits on my property and is a rental house.  It has some great character and built very well.  They moved the additions, porches, and chimney all at once.  4-5 bedrooms, 2 baths, the place would cost $150,000 to build. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Bro. Noble

I think I posted this story a long time ago,  but I'm going to attempt it again .  My Dad told me of a distant cousin of his that lived in S.W. Mo on a small farm where he was raised.  As a young man,  he married and built a small house.  Soon after he took a job teaching school in the edge of Kansas so he had his house moved there.  He spent his entire carear teaching there and living in that little house.  When he retired,  he moved back to the family farm-------taking his house with him and putting it back on the original foundation :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Kinda like going on Vacation, eh, Br'er Noble?

Thank You Sponsors!