iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid Steer attachments

Started by Raider Bill, November 30, 2006, 11:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

What is the differance between skid steer attachment and whatever the norm is on a front loading tractor around 40 hp?
Do they have more choices, better price?
Getting ready for spring when I buy a tractor.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

TexasTimbers

I won't get too verbose here, because this topic is touchy with tractor-lovers.  ;)

I own both a tractor and a skid steer. I am not biased toward either but I use the skid steer more because for my application, terrain, and what i do with it, it is far more versatile, quicker, effecient, and for skidding on level or near level terrian in my opinion it is much safer.
The number of attachments available for a skid steer can't hardly be numbered. Same with tractors. I don't know for sure but i think the number of attachments, not counting farming implements like plows and all that which a skid steer is no good at at all, the number of construction and general-use implements is more numerous for skid steers.

Now I know this is touchy touchy as I say and I LOVE tractors, and there are some things a tractor can do that a skid can't do and vice versa, but the number of things a skid steer can do better, exceeds that of what a tractor can IMHO except for farming purposes for which the tractor was invented and excels like no other machine can.
Again, this is my opinion. I remember a thread once where I got a little nasty and had to apolgize for my snotty remarks, after some took offense at me posting my opinion so please, remember I am saying this is my opinion.
I mean no offense toward tractors, tractor lovers, or Americana in general.  :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

moosehunter

I have a 43 horse 'bota with the skid steer quick attach loader. I have the original bucket ( with teeth) a set of pallet forks ( a MUST have around the mill) and a grapple that I am trying to build myself.
If you are buying a tractor, get it with the universal skid steer attachment. The possabilities are endless.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Peakebrook

It is the old "depends."

What are you planning on doing with the machine?  I have a JD 280 with metal tracks over the tires.  I call it the roto-tiller, because of the disturbed soil it leaves behind.  It is messy working around the mill.  However, it is great in the woods.  I have numerous attachments, including grapple bucket, 12 inch tree shear, stump grinder, spade, etc.  It is very versatile, but don't take it on a lawn.

Around the mill, I prefer using a tractor with forks.  Dealing with tree lenth logs, I find the tractor works better using a Farmi winch.

The other negative about a skid-steer is they are a pain to crawl in and out of a day long.  Fuel consumption is also very high on my skid-steer. 
WM LT40SH with Cat 51, JD 210, JD 280, JD 450G, Cat 311

Raider Bill

I'm going to be starting from scratch on 69 acres of old forestry land I bought in TN. My Chosen machine will have to be very versitale but powerful enough for the job ahead. So far my list contains, front loader, grapple something for brush, pallett forks, bush hog, auger, wood splitter, some kind of pole extension for lifting high,and box blade. Back hoe attachement maybe depending on budget. Maybe around 40 hp. 4wd would be nice but I don't have any steep hills.
I'll have to rent a dozer for a couple days to start clearing a road, home site, trails etc. After that the tractor will take over.

TexasTimbers

Don't go for the lightweight grapple. I made that mistake. At least the brand I bought was no good. the cylinder brackets broke the VERY FIRST time i clamped down an a small log. When I call the company to inquire if this was common (I knew it had to be you can look at the engineering and tell it is a bad design) I was basically told that it was my fault for ordering the lightweight version to begin with.  ::)
Ah, I see. If I don't want my grapple to break on the first use I should not order the one which is designed to break on the first use.  :D

Polly

8) 8) 8) 8) :Pif you plan on getting a tractor and putting a front end loader on it with pallet fork attachment you definately want a tractor with four wheel drive if you pick up anything heavy with loader you loose traction on rear wheels on sloping ground if going up hill you are stuck and going down hill could be very exciting  8) 8)

woodbowl

Quote from: Raider Bill on November 30, 2006, 11:43:05 AM
What is the differance between skid steer attachment and whatever the norm is on a front loading tractor around 40 hp?

I have a 539 IMT with a lift pole and it does OK for general log loading, but it is a pain to always be turned around backwards.

I would like to have a skid steer, but I don't want too many machines to keep up. In other words, I want one machine that does it all.  ::)

The speed and agility of a skid steer can't be matched by a 4WD tractor, but some tractors do have some advantages and features that recover some of the loss, such as shuddle shift and hydrostatic drive.

So, .... what brands are among the fastest 40 HP tractors?

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Bibbyman

Our Terex has a standard Bobcat interfece.  We have a bucket, forks, and grapple for it.  I've been using the grapple to clean up burned out bulldozer piles. It works real good to pull out rootballs,  junk metal, fence wire, etc.

A month back I was at the small farm show and looked at some Korean made tractors that had the standard Bobcat interface.  I thought that was a plus.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

TexasTimbers

Bibby that sure is a nice machine. Everytime I borrow my buddy's Manitou I struggle with that 10th Commandment "Thou Shall Not Covet."

Raider if you do look at skid steers that Gehl 7810E is a monster.

Raider Bill

I think for my applicaqtion a tractor would be best. Many people I have chatted with like the Yanmar, supposed to be a John Deer clone or something. I do want to be able to change implements fast and have a broad range to choose from plus price is an issue.

On another note, I'm getting great advise from you guys, Thanks everyone for the help.

TexasTimbers

I concur with the Yanmar opinions. i have one of their 42HP diesles in my skid steer and it has been a joy.

Enjoy your new toy machine! :)

Raider Bill

I've noticed a bunch of Yanmar boats around her lately, big off shore ones.
In looking at the heavy equiptment trader, i'm seeing several yanmar package deals that include a front loader, bush hog and trailer which I will need.

Qweaver

Quote from: Raider Bill on November 30, 2006, 11:43:05 AM
Do they have more choices, better price?
Getting ready for spring when I buy a tractor.
I'm not sure if you are wanting to know if it's better to own a skidsteer or a tractor, or if you want to use skidsteer attachments on a tractor?  I've found my 3130 Kubota to be up to everything I've needed in clearing the land and stumps, preparing the site and digging ditches and footings, lifting timbers and work around the sawmill.  I've carried and loaded 28" x 20' logs on my sawmill with it.  I do wish that I would have bought the 38 hp version.  But I can load this tractor on a 2 axle trailer and it's small enough to maneuver thru the woods even with the backhoe on and the next size bigger tractor w/loader and BH would overload my trailer.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Raider Bill

Tractor is my choice, question was about the attachments. what would give me the most versitillity and ease to change tools.

Captain

Here's my log mover

and here's its new attachment, hopefully trying it out tomorrow

I only wish my tractor had a skid steer attachment plate on the front loader.

Captain

TexasTimbers

Raider and others who may be in the market for a grapple. i learned the hard way on buying a "lightweight" grapple.
The design of this cylinder bracket is bad and should have been beefed up with thicker metal at the confluence of where these members meet.
I can fix it but I should not have to do it. just be wary when buying a grapple that you eye-ball this junction real well because most grapples have the same basic design, and this is a flaw whcih can be spotted before you buy if you know to look for it. i didn't know.

You have to look close but the bracket is bent back further than the picture can show  . . .

This is what it looks like, and it is much worse on both claws now so that holding small brush isn't possible.
Now it's just another fix-it-up on my list.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Captain on December 01, 2006, 12:19:17 PM
Here's my log mover
I only wish my tractor had a skid steer attachment plate on the front loader.
Captain
Why?

Captain

because I could share attachments.....

SawDust_Studios

Well I can say from experience, I have both and find both have their many uses. I couldn't live without at least one of them.  I've had my JD Skid Steer for about a month now and wondering how I got along without it.  I got the hydraulic q-tach which makes swapping attachments very quick and easy.  I have 4'  forks and a LARGE material bucket for it   I have a bucket and 3' forks for the tractor that a friend is modifying with a grapple thumb.  All are q-tach.

I've had a tractor now for about 10 years. I started with a compact JD and now I have a Farmtrac.  It about 33 hp, but a nice compact loader and can accept all of the skid steer attachments. My uncle is the largest dealer in the US,  so I tried it. (shamless plug)  ;)
http://www.farmtrac.com/

They bought rights to the design of the fords or something and use the same Mitsubishi Engine.   For the price, I love it. (much less than 18k with loader) Well built machine.   Will outlift the ole JD by a mile.  It will lift about 2k and its small enough to get around the yard rather well.   It has 3-pt hitch which I also have a forklift attachment on that will lift 3k.  It also has rear hydraulics on it, so it the past, we've ran hoses up to the front of the tractor to use a skid steer post hole digger.  Makes drilling holes alot easier with down pressure. Of course this is before I bought the skid steer  8)

The tractor is nice to move slabs and cut-offs from the edger , we keep it on that side of the mill. We use the Skid Steer to load logs onto the mill.  The nice thing about a skid steer is it will get in very tight corners and it will outlift the tractor.  The bad thing about a skid steer is that it will really tear up your log yard. (If you zero turn alot.)  We use the skid steer too to get ties off the mill and to unload logs that the tractor won't lift.

There are a ton of attachments available for a skid steer. I've seen some really neat ones on ebay.  Lifting poles for trusses that have hydraulic booms, various grapples, hole diggers, forks, sweepers.  You name it, somebody has probably made it.  You can also buy q-tach plates on put on machines to convert them.  But I can't put my mower or my plows on my skid steer.   :-\

I agree with captain.. nothing like having quick tach on your tractor.  I've been through unbolting buckets before.  Not going back. 

Of course there are other options out there.  Bobcat used to make an articulating loader that looked like a tractor version of a bobcat. It had 3pt on the back and hydraulics on front and back.  Would turn rather sharply and lift about 3-4k. If I only had one machine, I'd look for something like this.

Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Rockn H

As someone that has been doing a lot a new tractor shopping, and as someone that has used and not at all tore-up about borrowing my friends skid steers and their attachments.   I would say go with a Mahindra tractor.  Both Mahindra and Kubota have skid steer type quick attach frontend loaders standard, and hydraulic quick connects are opptional.  So you can use any of the oh so many attachments made for a skid steer.  Even grapples and posthole diggers.  These are the only two name brands I've found in this area that have front end loaders made with skid steer type quick attach.  I say Mahindra because of price and quality is just as good.  JD and other brands don't seem to offer skid steer type QA so their loaders aren't as easy to find attachments for.  You also have to pull pins and safety pins instead of just flipping levers.

beenthere

Rockn H
I'm stayin out of this, 'cept to say the JD also has the skid-steer quick attach for their loaders.
I'm thinkin.....nope, stayin out now..... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TexasTimbers

Whichever type or brand machine a fella goes with I think he ought to plan his purchase so that his machine is as versatile as it can be for his application, or he limits his ability to do tasks as effeciently as possible.

On a woodworking forum I frequent my signature reads:

Buy the tool not the wrapper. If you want to be a brand man invest in their stock; if you want to be a tool man invest some time into research. Superior features and performance will deliver quality and quantity much faster than brand loyalty.

I think this is just as valid with practically any purchase but then that is just my opinion again.  :) I was suprised to see that a survey showed that most people put brand loyalty ahead of the tool/machine/product features and performance ratings that they are actually needing.

SawDust_Studios

Quote from: beenthere on December 02, 2006, 06:07:17 AM
Rockn H
I'm stayin out of this, 'cept to say the JD also has the skid-steer quick attach for their loaders.
I'm thinkin.....nope, stayin out now..... ;D

I think you'll find that most manufactors are providing this as an option. And why wouldn't they  ???  It seems like common sense to me for anyone using more than just a bucket.
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

SawDust_Studios

Quote from: kevjay on December 02, 2006, 08:39:25 AM
On a woodworking forum I frequent my signature reads:

Buy the tool not the wrapper. If you want to be a brand man invest in their stock; if you want to be a tool man invest some time into research. Superior features and performance will deliver quality and quantity much faster than brand loyalty.

This is so true.  We have alot of farms around here that are either all green or all red.   Now, if you look in my shop, there are several colors of machines in there.  White, Gold, Green, a different green.  Each purchase was researched on the net to see what was the best bang for the buck and what would get the job done.   

The closest thing I have to true brand loyalty is my sawmill equipment... I guess I just like Orange  :D

Thank You Sponsors!