iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

USFS Healthy Forests Initiative

Started by ADfields, January 08, 2003, 03:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADfields

Just felt I should post this link hear so people other than greenies could have at least some input.      
http://www.fs.fed.us/projects/HFI.shtml

Comments must be received in writing by January 15, 2003.
ADDRESSES: Mail written comments to: Healthy Forests Initiative, USDA FS Content Analysis Team, P.O. Box 221150, Salt Lake City, Utah 84116. Comments also may be submitted via facsimile to (801) 517-1015 or by e-mail to healthyforests@fs.fed.us. If comments are sent via facsimile or e-mail, the public is requested not to send duplicate written comments via regular mail.
Andy

mustang

I hope this proposal is accepted better than the last 3 or 4 ie. ecosysten management, ecosystem restoration, bio-diversity etc. but most of the greens i dealt with over the last 15 years will view this as just another name for cutting trees. the area where i use to work,which ran from the VA. border to the Smoky MTs. has not sold a timber sale in almost 4 years becase of appeals.  Even when the Forest Service wins the appeals the Forest supervisor my decide not to sell a sale because it's to contrversal. THis happened to me after we spent almost 4 laying out and marking a sale adjacent to I-40 .

mustang

That was 4 months for a 4 person marking crew.

Tillaway

Mustang,
Thats normal operating procedure out here.  About half of the ones I have been involved with get implemented.  We layed out a big sale on the Tongass some years back, crew of about 20 or 30 for three months.  It cost a bunch of money and was declared a Wilderness area the next month.

Most of the National Fire Plan DFPZ's are completed, but it is not unusual for the acreages to shrink as several units are thrown out just before equipment finally moves in.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

OneWithWood

Thank-you for the link.  The proposal highlight doc seems to be very sensible, of course the devil is in the details, but I do think this is a step in the right direction.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Frank_Pender

Thank You ADfields.  I just sent off a very brief but definative response.   8)
Frank Pender

Ron Scott

The Forum Poll indicates that not many have heard of this USFS Initiative. It's referenced here on the Forum for those interested in knowing more.
~Ron

Frank_Pender

The Oregon Small Woodlots Assoc. has just written a formal proposal in accepting the USFI.  the Exective board is in the process of sening it off this next week, if I am not mistaken. 8)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!