iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with retrofit WM debarker.

Started by Dave Shepard, November 29, 2006, 05:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Hi, I have a few questions for the WM folks on here. I am going to be doing some sawing for someone who has an early 90's LT40G25 with a debarker that I believe may be a retrofit from woodmizer. The blade turns on but it will not move in and out and it is also out of position. I was wondering if there are fuses for this attachment, which has a seperate control box.  I did not have a lot of time to fool with it this evening, but was hoping to get some insight into it from some experienced WM owners. I am hoping that I don't have to start the multi-meter game, but that almost seems inevitable when you have to work on electrical stuff.  I was also wondering if there is some sort of adjustment for the cutting height of the debarker, it is cutting to low to line up with the blade. If I lift up on the debarker head there is a little bit of travel before it starts to move at the pivot point on the arm. The slack appears to be in the shaft that the entire debarker pivots on. I hope this is descriptive enough. I would appreciate any input, thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pacodog

pull top cover off of debarker there is a belt in there maybe loose or broken.you can adjust height of debarker blade by losening two clamps if memory serves correct.hope this helps.

RMay

Shoot the grease to the arm if its been sating a while. There is a adjustment nut on the side of the motor for the up &down  ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Dave Shepard

Thanks for the tips. The motor is not responding at all, not just a lube issue. I will have to bring the multi-meter with me and see how far the juice is making it. I will look for a fuse, and then start checking the switches and wiring and also to see if the brushes are burned out of the motor. Probably won't make it back there until the weekend. The motor sliding up and down makes sense, I'll look into that as well. We definately need to debark, the logs we have are dirty and I don't see the log-wizard being a suitable replacement for an on-the-mill debarker, especially when the WM debarker only debarks where you are going to cut. Thanks again.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Percy

On my old LT40, I installed a debarker. The in/out switch was regularly replaced(bout once a year) You might check that...... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

MartyParsons

In/out switch for the Debarker. It has a wire on the switch from ground post and a positive ( Red ) wire coming from the Solenoid ( which is inside the control box) The debarker needs to be on for the in/out switch to work. A simple 12 V test light would help locate the issue. Check for + at the switch and -. The center terminals should have current when the switch is thrown ( connect the test lamp across the center terminals and move the switch) If you have a light here go to the motor and check on Red and black wires.
We have a wiring diagram if you need one and have access to a fax or e-mail me and I will send you a copy.
Marty
There is no fuse or curcit breaker on this curcit only the Debarker Motor it is 50 amp. If you are working with the Debarker and it keeps running Remove one of the wires  and tape it at the Debarker motor for safety.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Dave Shepard

I may not have had the blade running when I tried the in out feed switch. I am just getting started with this sawmill and don't know the ins and outs yet. I was just told that the debarker didn't work, so I started poking around tonight. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Dave

Dave Shepard

After further investigation, it would appear that the debarker attachment is working just fine. I in fact did not have the blade spinning when I tried the in/out feed. Now, I just need to convince the saw owner that it is better to debark than play his blade switcheroo game. (See my next topic) Thanks for all the help.

Dave

Tom

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?  :D :D

Dave Shepard

Yes, the plan is coming together nicely. Wait, I don't have a plan. :) I am still new to sawing, although I have been researching WMs and sawing for several years now. I am not going to be able to get my own mill any time soon so I am going to be sawing for someone else instead. The person that owns the mill has always had someone run it for him, so some of his ideas are a little unusual. I do have the advantage of also working for one of the past sawyers as well, so he gives me the answers I really need.

Dave

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 30, 2006, 08:16:47 PM
I do have the advantage of also working for one of the past sawyers as well, so he gives me the answers I really need.

I had a sawyer giving me advice too, but after I had been sawing for  a while, I found some of his advice to be wrong.  :o >:(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!