iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain chatter

Started by sawguy21, November 29, 2006, 10:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

We recently sold a MS441 with 33RMC chain on a 24" bar to a log home builder. He is complaining that the mounts flex too much and the chain chatters while notching leaving a rough finish. Stihl offers different mount springs but this one has the stiffest available. I should add he is fairly new at it and it may be lack of experience. Any thoughts?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

macpower

sawguy,
My first thought is that he may be cutting at half throttle. I've seen guys use a saw as a mortising tool and just goose the throttle enough to make it cut. The chain never gets to speed, and the saw wants to jump about.
I would think that the RMC would leave about as smooth a finish as any chain would.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

sawguy21

We asked him about that as there is also the risk of overheating the saw. He insists he is running at full rpm.

beenthere

Wood cutting friend goes through clutch shoes and springs fast by not cutting at open throttle. He seems to want to tease the chain in the cut and rarely opens the saw up. He gets a lot of saw jump and chain chatter. I've mentioned it, but he doesn't seem to want to change. So he is constanly replacing springs and clutch parts. He has the 028.

When I first started using my MS361, it took some getting used to the anti-vib separation of the handles from the cutting bar/chain. A different feeling in the handle bars (couldn't feel the vibs) caused me to force the bar/chain and not 'let it cut' without force. Once I got past that point in the learning curve, we get along great now. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

I'd be looking at raker height assuming he has the proper chain on the saw.

rebocardo

Maybe the chain is too loose? I know on my MS-180 I rarely use the tool less function to tighten the chain because it makes it too loose. I turn the gear with my hand instead.

tcsmpsi

The 'anti-vibe' gave me trouble at first.  It wasn't bad when it was bucking stable, horizontal logs, but when it was cutting at an angle I had trouble judging (feeling) my my blade and tended to over control.  It doesn't take much of that to frustrate a cut.

But, like beenthere, I think I've got that dog trained. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

sawguy21

I suspect you and beenthere may be right. He probably needs time to get used to the saw. All the log builders we deal with use round top chain, the loggers like chisel, and his is brand new although I have not seen it to judge abuse. I am not familiar with notching technique but sounds like they drag the saw sideways, a loose chain is a strong possibility.

Raphael

If he can deal with a 20" bar then he could run low profile, 24" would be pushing the chain stress to far for LP to be safe in some of those cuts.  I scribed a lot of cedar together with my old Remington running 3/8 LP chains, it cuts a little slower but the increased control is great.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

SawTroll

The 066/660 Logosol with 3/8" Picco setup is popular among log house builders here, I have been informed.......
Information collector.

sawguy21

I have never seen a picco bar and rim for an 066. Would think the operator needs to be real careful not to overwork the chain.

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 13, 2006, 01:27:11 PM
I have never seen a picco bar and rim for an 066. Would think the operator needs to be real careful not to overwork the chain.

Well, it is a standard set-up, sold by Stihl (not Logosol) here, with PMX chain and spur sprocket- and yes, chains breakings are heard of......... ::)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!