iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Boxelder

Started by TexasTimbers, November 28, 2006, 07:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Does Red Boxelder tend to be real rottish on the stump? I have found a virtual Red Boxelder village, and I know turners like them, but many of them are punky in the hearts, many trees are dead, but there are also a bunch that seem healthy. There are hundreds of them there, now that I have a trained eye for them i discovered this yesterday just before nightfall.
But i am worried that they are being attacked by something.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Burlkraft

Kev,
Ya gotta get 'em while they are young. Most of the "nice" ones that are big are rotten through and through.
I found one deer huntin' this year that had burls all over it, but they were only 6" thick and soft like cardboard.
I saw several that tipped over and every piece that was touchin' the ground had taken root and set saplings up... ::) ::) ::)
The farmers hate them....I can cut all I want, but they rot fast even sealed...ya gotta turn them right away.. ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

TexasTimbers

Okay that was the information I was looking for. I guess my plan is then that I should not go cutting too many of them unless I can find a good demand for them, which I simplky don't have time to do. I wish they would keep. I could put my logger on them.

TexasTimbers

If they don't have a good shelf life, what happens to 'em once they ARE turned. Do they fade like most other beautiful woods?

I was cutting more Walnut today, and I had to cut some more elders out of the way. There are some big sawlog sized box elders that are not rotten. I was told that box elder won't make good lumber. I can't see why not if you use it inside and keep it dry.  ???
I guess I am excited to discover I am sitting on all this striking red wood that is everywhere, and alot of the big ones, someover two feet in diameter. Here is a 14" er that just makes me salivate to thnk of the possibilites. But I guess it must have some kind of negative characteritsic because i have read mixed reviews about it in the archives. I never did see where anyone ever knew for certain that rthe red would definately fade away if kept out of the sun.

Of coiurse those pesky walnuts kept getting in my path and I had to get them out of the way.  8)

Anyway, I hope someone has had some positive experiences with this stuff I would hate to see it relegated to the burn pile if it has a use other than pedaling a piece here and there to tuners.

Furby

Just went downstairs and checked.
I have a couple of box elder cants that have spalt and red in them.
They have been in my basement for two years now.
Don't really get much daylight down there and the red is still there. 8)

Sure wouldn't mind getting my hands on a couple cookies from a log like in your pic Kevjay.

Burlkraft

I have sawed some thin lumber and I have several turnings. It holds up okay after you finish it and keep it out of the sun. It is light and gets very dry, but it's usable.....when it's green. I tried turning some that was dry and it was a waste of time. I have made some small wall shelves out of it, for curio type stuff. The red does fade but not completely. The one you have the picture of is a beeeuty kev, I just wouldn't saw up a thousand blanks and seal them and then burn them a year later like I did. I been lookin for a log like the one you took the pic of. Maybe it's the exposure to fertilizer here that makes them grow so wierd. They get tall before they get big and then fall over. Mostly they just grow in fence lines here and benifit from corn fertilizer run off. I have never seen one here that is as big and straight and solid as the one you have...you lucky dog.... ;D ;D ;D

SwampDonkey

Kev, if you could go up a little further on that but log to get out of the furls (stability problems possibly) and cut a nice counter top, finish it like glass, and make a coffee table.... I would think that would sell fast if you had a place to display and sell them, like a farmer's market or wood craft show.  8)

There was one in grandfather's yard getting huge and he thought it would be rotten or the wind might break a huge limb. He cut it down and it was red heart inside and sound as a nut. Grandmother was disappointed it had to be cut. I think she planted it, she planted most of the yard trees.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

I agree that it's the sun that fades the red.  A UV blocker in the finish may help keep it red a little longer but it will eventually lose the brightness of color.

Thanks for the tip, Burlcraft, of not letting it dry out before turning.

For a tree considered a weed,  I have a hard time coming across it here, too.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

oldsaw

In Minnesota they consider them "weeds".  Yes, they rot by the time they reach any size, and branches like to fall off.  Every once in a while you see one with a lot of red, but we only burned them.  Dad milled the ash, oak, and basswood he could, but the elm and the boxelder burned.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Sawmill_Bill

That is an awesome box elder!

You have to cut some (2" thick) cookies off of the end of that log.  They would be worth a pretty penny.  I would love to have a chance at one.

Ron Wenrich

I've seen some box elder burls that were stabilized.  That has something to do with resins, but I don't know how its done. 

If you could do that to a piece of that wood, it might help preserve the color and might even eliminate checking.  Anybody with any experience with stabilized woods?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

I'de almost think 1:1 epoxy would do it. But, your going to loose the bright red, it'll turn brown. I've used it on air dried bowls and they never moved.

I'm no expert, so do some research. But, I'll bet it's something similar.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

QuoteThat has something to do with resins, but I don't know how its done. 

I've researched it a little, then when I saw the price tag I stopped looking. :D

They charge by the pound and the wood needs to be dry.  It's done under vacuum pressure if I remember correctly.  The few pieces I've turned that were resin impregnated turned like a piece of acrylic.  They can also add color dyes to the mix to give nice variation throughout the piece.

Here is a piece of buckeye that was impregnated...

The wood looks natural, but feels like plastic and is considerably heavier than in its natural state.

TexasTimbers

Several of y'all want "cookies". What do you do with them? They are too thin to put on a lathe aren't they? Make a plate?

One of the members here is interested in a pallet if we can find an affordable shipping option, but cookies sound cheap to ship. ???

I am not a turner (yet) thus the lack of knowledge.

Furby

Stools.
Displays with wood burnings and such.
Thinner ones can be platers.

wesdor

That is one fine looking box elder.  At our last wood turning meeting, the demonstration was on air brush methods.  Steve Sinner did the demo and he is a master at it.  He mentioned that he sometimes air brushes the same color of red into a box elder. That way it doesn't fade with the light. 

Quartlow

I cut some around afield today, small stuff like 12 to 14 inches. not very much red in it though.

Here i was wondering if it was more prominent at a specific time of the year.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Quartlow on November 29, 2006, 10:50:19 PM
. . . . . .  not very much red in it though. Here i was wondering if it was more prominent at a specific time of the year.

I have limited experience with it Quart but I cut my first two trees back in the spring and it was as red as the stuff I cut this week. I had gone in for the only two honey locust I have seen on the property as of yet. We could go back into the I.D. archives and find out the exact time because I didn't know what those wierd red trees were, and I posted the question to members. I am gonna venture it was March or April.
The soil where I am getting all these wonderful trees is in a low, moist, sandy loam mixed with blackland with clay a few feet down. A creek runs through the property and the walnuts and bodarks grow primarily along the creek.
The box elders are everywhere though not paying any attention to the creek or populations of other species.
I don't know how much it matters, but other species that are numerous enough to mention are Pecan, Ash, Oaks (Pin, Chestnut, Red, Post, and others I can't identify yet; this is not the same property thaat I was trying to figure out if it was a BJ oak for those who might wonder), a few Catalpa, Walnut, ERC but it is on the high ground of the property only which makes no sense to me, Red Boxelderof course, and a whole bunch of other stuff I just can't identify yet.
I doubt that helps you out any but there ya have it from a novice trying to become a more informed novice.  :)

wesdor

I am no expert in this area, but from what other wood workers tell me, the boxelder turns red due to stress.  One friend even advised me to cut a limb off here and there to stimulate the red. 

So from what I have been told, this is not a "time of year", but rather stress related.  I look forward to hearing what some of the real experts here have to say about it.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: wesdor on November 30, 2006, 09:53:05 AM
I am no expert in this area, but from what other wood workers tell me, the boxelder turns red due to stress.

Thanks for that insight wesdor. Quartlow, this is a breeze now. All we have to do to ensure redness is, every month as the bills come in, tack them to the trunks of the trees and tell them it is now their responsiblilty to get them paid.  8)

SwampDonkey

I'll send ya some of mine, and you'll soon corner the market.  :D ;D

Burlkraft

TexasTimbers

I was playing around with some of it yesterday . . . .

leweee

Your going to make a woodtuner very happy when they get one of those blocks 8) 8) :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Daren

That is some awesome stuff, those blocks are $$$ to the right guys I bet. I would put one on that online auction place where they sell walnut yard trees for $1000 (if you cut it down and grind the stump  ::)) Unless you already have a market for it that is.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

TexasTimbers

I think I have some of it sold but I don't know what the potential of it is yet. i hope it is alot i have a small forest of the stuff.

I haven't done any research yet but I need to find out what the largest online turners forums are.

I know one guy online I found has a little of it but isn't quite as red and he seems to be selling the pen blanks well.

I think the big stuff ought to fetch a premium because I'm beginning to think it is as hard to find this big and this red as what I have been told.

I cut those blocks right off the stump. Makes for a great way to not have to be chasing it all around while you are hacking at it.

I'm getting ready to cut some more cookies . . . .

metalspinner

QuoteI think the big stuff ought to fetch a premium

Nahhh... ;) :D

wesdor

Be careful how you store those blocks.  Keep them out of the sunlight or the red is going to fade quickly.

Those are some awesome pieces.

I believe the largest woodturning group online is the American Association of Woodturners.  You can find them at:

AAW

Ron Wenrich

I'm wondering if they shouldn't be waxed.  I saw some ambrosia maple turning blocks at the local Woodcraft about that size.  They were waxed to keep them from drying out.  It might preserve the color, as well.  Price - $30.  A lot of their stuff is waxed.

Tulip poplar often has streaks in it.  Some are blue, brown, red, or purple.  Normally, it fades pretty well as it ages.  However, I have found that the color does stay up as long as it stays away from light.  I have turned some pens from them and the color stays after being finished.  Cut it thick so it can be planed back later on. 

TexasTimbers

Do you mean the blocks were $30 or the wax costs $30?

What about keeping them submerged in water out of the sun? I have a big vat not currently being used that would hold about 50 blocks that size. When I need to send a few here and there I could take them out the day before and then wax/seal them?

Just trying to figure a way to store them without having to wax that many all at once. Water should should keep the air off them eh?

metalspinner

The end grain only needs to be waxed.  This cooler weather will slow drying down so the whole block shouldn't start drying and cracking.  Just don't bring them inside.  The waxed blocks at Woodcraft and such were probably waxed green.  But the smaller size of those blocks would crack pretty quick - especially in our store.  It is very dry in there.  Just about every block on the shelf is cracked to a nearly unuseable state.  Once spring and warmer weather arrives  you should cut those down to finished size or they will start to split apart.

Ron Wenrich

$30 for the wood.  The wax was free.   :D

oldsaw

I don't know if I 've ever seen that much red in one.  That is something else.  Very cool.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

turningfool

hi kev..i have done several red toned box elder pieces and after being finished the red only fades slightly...from its true color..but to the human eye it seems to get even brighter as the balance of the object turned from it goes to almost bone white,thus making it seem redder than it was to start with..great looking wood! :D

TexasTimbers

That's good news Tom I was wondering what the sapwood was going to do. I have been seeing some absolutely incredible color in som eof these things, I have a few logs that are so busy with red, black, grey, gold, yellowish all with sapwwod mixed in; or it is all mixed in the sapwood. It's hard to tell where the sap ends and the heart begins. On some cants you simply cant tell.
It looks like something Peter Max would make if he were creating wood.
I have been resisting posting more pics because I don't want to wear everyone out but I will send ytou some pics when I get my 'puter back.
Haven't got your beast crated up yet but hang on .......  ;)

blaze83

Kevjay,

that is some of the coolest wood I've seen, I don't mind one bit if you post a few more pic's, look forward to seeing what Turningfool is going to create with it...the red is amazing   looks like it was painted
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

TexasTimbers

Thanks blaze. Don't ya just know God had fun makin it? ;)

I'm out of the picture posting biz for a few days but you can go to my website and see a bunch more pics by clickin on the link that says Box Elder at te top left.
You probably know it but the quik way to get to members' websites is to click that little blue and green icon of our planet below everyones avatars.

SwampDonkey

Well I'm just waiting for the big announcement....

.....about what?  ::)

Kevin's new big honk'n lathe to turn figured wood. What else?  sheesh ::)

leweee

Great Website Kevin. :) ....And don't listen to SD ....He's just envious of all that Texas RED Boxelder. :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

TexasTimbers

Heck lewee I am listening real close to what he has to say because he obviously knows something I don't. I think he says he's sending me a big honkin lathe!  8) 8) 8)

SD you are my hero!  8) 8) 8)

leweee

Kevin....don't want to burst your bubble ,but SD only has a small lathe. ::)
      I want to hear more about that honken circle sawmill you mentioned on your website. 8)

turningfool

turn any of that box elder yet kevin?

TexasTimbers

I don't turn Tom. But you're fixin to be turning some of it. ;)

leweee nothing to tell re: that honkin circle saw yet 'cept it's sittin idle. :(

leweee

How big's da blade.....what make is she ,,,,comeon now you know ya wanna tell us all about it. ;D

farmerdoug

Lewee,

Let the guy get his bowelder logging done first. ::)  If the landowner see what he is cutting he may want more from Kevjay. ;)

After all do you think it is winter here in the States or something. :D :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

I think he's nervous about opening up the shipping crate. You know one of them things, like if I take it outta the box and don't like it, how am I ever going to get it all back in the crate to ship back. ;D  ::)

leweee

Doug.....when the calendar says yes.....but knee deep in mud means NO
          I'm confused. ???

farmerdoug

Leweee, The same here.  All I do first thing in the morning is look at the woods.  If I even tried to hual out any wood it would cut ruts to China. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

TexasTimbers

I'm not from Nebraska but I am cornfused! ??? What are we talkin about now ???

Furby

Uh, Circle mill........
Logging Boxelder before the owner sees the gold mine.........
Opening shipping crates without letting the cat out........
Global warming.............
You not being from Nebraska..........

Caught up now ???
Try to stay with us will ya! ;D

TexasTimbers

Okay I'm with yooz all again. Man I need to give you a raise Furby

Uh, Circle mill......... 56" hydraulic/electric homebuilt by a retired machinist who ran it for 10 years before he gave up the ghost. Live deck, automatic slab/board conveyor, hydraulic slab ejector (throws them over to make a pile), 4 bunk carriage hydraulic turner and dogs, I forget, something like 60 feet of track.

Logging Boxelder before the owner sees the gold mine........ He gave it to me no strings

Opening shipping crates without letting the cat out.......  smile_juggle

Global warming.............  bath_smiley

You not being from Nebraska..........  smiley_chinese

Okay what's next on the test ???

Left Coast Chris

kevjay...

In my "The Woodturners Catalog"  from Craft Supplies USA they have PEG.

PEG stands for Polyethylene Glycol.   It is used to soak roughed out bowls or bowl blanks for 8-10 weeks.  The PEG stabilizes the wood to greatly lessen shrinkage and cracking.

It is fairly expensive:  you need 1 gallon of PEG to soak 5 or 6 salad bowls.  2.6 lbs of PEG makes one gallon of solution.  5 lbs costs $20.   Its expensive for any volume of wood but for that specaial piece it would be worth it.

I have not used it due to its expense.   See www.woodturnerscatalog.com
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

turningfool

i used polyethylene glycol at the start of my wood turning career and it does indeed stabilize wood but its a lonnnng process and you can only apply certain finishes to it.I also discoverd that even after drying thoroughly in humid conditions that the wax impregnated in the finished piece migrates all over the place..if you live in humid conditions at any time of the year,dont set the finished piece on your new white oak table cuz it will stick like glue to it...Farmer..if you want to try the poly.glycol..i have a near 5 gallon bucket you can have(still in its solid state)  maybe we 'll be doin wood for wax tradin in the spring :)

leweee

Kevin ...thanks for the update on the circle mill. ;D
            Sounds like an interesting addition to the sawdust arsenal. 8)
            we want progress reports with pics when possible....even if ya ain't from Kneebraska. :D

Left Coast Chris

Turningfool.....

Thanks for the offer on the PEG.  Based on your comments it is not too desireable unless you HAVE to use it.     Thought it might be a possibility for preserving the red of the box elder.  I did read that you have to seal the PEG in so it does not get all over everything. 

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

turningfool

farmer..i have used it on some rarer /hard to find stuff around here such as large yew turnings and it did indeed prevent the pieces from cracking just remember to put felt ot something on the bottom of it when you display it..theres a pic in my gallery posted today of a large yew lidded container that came out just fine and the beutiful color of that species was retained..take a peak :o

SwampDonkey

Pacific yew?  Our Canadensis yew only gets as big as your thumb.

turningfool

most michiganders have yew bushes for landscaping and such  the annual ring count on this monster was over 150 i think(lost count several times)..i like yews outstanding color and get it whenever i can accquire it no mater how large or small     

SwampDonkey

Must be a non native possibly. Our yew thrives in shade, take the canopy off and it retreats and the foliage will turn with a reddish cast. I have some on my lot, but it's suffering until the trees get bigger. They seem to be associated with yellow birch, maple and scattered hillside cedar around here.

Hillside cedar isn't a different species, it's northern white that grows on upland areas and can get quite big. I gotta get over to the Napadogan/Nashwaak to get them cedar pictures some day.  ::)

turningfool

yippeeeee!!..got a very heavy package in the mail saturday..wonder what it can be?

SwampDonkey

You didn't open it yet?  ::) ::)

turningfool

sticker on it said delivered saturday..i didnt get home til sunday sd....its the pretiiest piece of box elder you ever saw and me too for that matter..all i have to do is stabilize it some by letting it acclimate itself to the weather here,decide on a shape,then preturn it to approx 1"of thickness ..be patient  long enuff for it to dry thoroughly ,finish it,sand it down to 6000 grit..then post it on here when completed..you will be amazed!

Fla._Deadheader

TurningFool, ever try drying preturned pieces in Alcohol ??  Read a piece about it the other day. Seems to take a LOT less time, and, the pieces move VERY little ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

turningfool

have never tried the alcohol method but ty for the info..i'm using pentacryl for now..seems to do pretty much the same thing but DANG it expensive..but for this box elder..well worth it to me..the piece i'll be working on soon will probably soak up the better portion of 2 quarts..thank you kevin!!!!!!

turningfool

going to try turning some of the wood kevin sent me tomorrow..i'm sure it'll be like christmas allll over again..cant wait to see whats inside! :o

blaze83

pictures pictures and more pictures :D :D :D
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

turningfool

will hopefully have pics in about 3 weeks after the drying and finishing process..my shop is not heated in the winter..but count on this..even if its 20 below ..i'll be out there working on a special project for a special friend ;D

TexasTimbers

I for one can't wait to see your handiwork!

turningfool

you'll be the first kevin :)

turningfool

well kev..your wood is just about ready to be finished..remember what i said earlier in here about even if its 20 below id finish it..well..it is...lol..blizzard warnings as i write this..but!..going to get this done..if i can locate my workshop :o

turningfool

swamp donkey..turned a little somthing for you..where can i ship it to?email me your addy..have made lots of solid friends here and want to do"stuff" for them..just the way i am ;D

SwampDonkey

turningfool

turningfool

going to mail a package to texas this week..hope youre ready for this kev 8)

turningfool

posted a few new pics in my gallery kev..more mich. box elder and some tiger maple platters..enjoy 8)

TexasTimbers

How bout we let everyone see.  ???   Nice work Tom. Y'alls Michingan Box Elder ain't nothing to sneeze at and that Tiger maple is da bomb. We are going to have a pow wow on da fone soon and you are going to learn how to post pics and make them bigger, and we are going to delve into a college level photo class known as Strategic Lighting 101 too. You old dog you are going to learn some new tricks.  ;)

turningfool

ty for the compliments as always kev..furby and i will be trying to help me with the posting and enlargeing process as well..but call anytime..always good to hear from you! ;D

TexasTimbers

Furby won't do nothin but confuse ya. ;)

Nah actually he would be a better bet. I will defer to his expertise but I'll ring ya up just to chew the fat sometime soon and see what's new in GR Mich besides that female po-leese iccifer getting her due. I read about it in that newspaper you used to wrap our platter in. :D

SwampDonkey

You sure there ain't some white frozen stuff left down there in Texas?  ;D

TexasTimbers

I'm sure. My feet ain't been cold in weeks! 8)

SwampDonkey

Next winter I bet you'll wear snow boots and not sandals, eh? :D

turningfool

going to start the box elder urn this weekend guys..wish me luck..going to take 2 men and a boy to get that honkin chunk of wood on the spindle..but we will prevail  ;D..made out my vacation slip for the year..hog roast here i come! 8)

Thank You Sponsors!