iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The First Lumber, Further Progress W/Pics

Started by tcsmpsi, November 27, 2006, 10:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

The first lumber milled from the trees which had to be taken down in order to mill the first lumber is finally being utilized.

This (lumber stacked in the foreground)

has become this 

During my Thanksgiving 'holiday'.   ;D

Basic size is 20'X40'.  It is a genuine pleasure to work with my lumber.  Doesn't split like storebought.   Got electricity and water stubbed in to it. 

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Coon

Great work.  Now it's to get it sheathed in so you can work under it.  Definately a joy to work with ones own product isn't it.  I just shake my head when I see people hauling loads of the box store lumber.  Don't they realize they are getting ripped off?  But then again in the cities they can't use rough ungraded lumber either......sucks to be them.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

beenthere

Nice accomplishment with your own material.
Are those 4x4 posts? Engineered that way, I suspect.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Nice job on the shed. It's great when a plan comes together.... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

TexasTimbers

Gratifying and satisfying are two words that come tro mind. Great job.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Ivey

Great lookin start to you're building, Mine is at about the same state of completion as yours is. It will be nice to be under cover ;D
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

Fla._Deadheader

Nice job. Mine is also at your stage of growth.  ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

BigTrev

DanG, now your making me feel guilty about relaxing in the sun all weekend :D

Thats an awesome piece of work you got there! smiley_clapping Looking forward to seeing it all finished up.
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

rebocardo

Oh yea, it totally rulez! to buy stuff at Home Depot I would have rejected off my chainsaw mill  :D

Are those metal lolly columns?

jpgreen

Congrats Michael..  8)

Mines bout the same state, but I slapped up some temporary... Gack, Cough, Choke... OSB  ::) to get some plastic tarp over the rafters..  ;D

-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

mike_van

There's nothing like being out of the weater by way of your own lumber!  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

tcsmpsi

After what today has been here, I am once again reminded why I very seldom take a 'holiday'.   :o :D  What would happen if I took a genuine, sure 'nuff vacation?  ???

Brad,
Mill's all covered and 'put up' till I have the roof on (a further motivation).  Unfortunately, daylight is in the wane this time of year.  And yeah, I do very much like working with the lumber.

beenthere,
Yep.  4X4 ground contact, down to hard clay.  There'll be walls and other bracing effects to keep stress on them strictly perpendicular.  Light, proportioned roof and no snow loads.  Easy to add-on to in time and necessity. 

Burlkraft,
Yessir, love it when a plan comes together.   ;)

kev,
It is gratifying and...proper.   ;D

Ivey,
I'll have a storeroom there also where I can keep all that...stuff together.  :D

Fla_dh

Yeah, but, with a new grandchild...who cares about a shed??   ;D

rebocardo

I've had to take a few more trees down for the room.  Might even be persuaded to let loose of some of it to some of the folks who have been wanting it.  Maybe. 

jp

Whatcha doin' with them mittens??    :D  You been busy, ain't ya?
My darlin' permanent female partner made mention of being ready for the new house addition/remodeling to be finished, lightly, in passing (but, I'm pretty good at catching a hint).  My saving grace is the fact that I still need a bit more finish wood milled and having the mill and stuff workable all together and undercover will allow me to mill more a 'little here and little there'.  ;)

mike

Being able to mill and have lumber all undercover will be a real blessing and timesaver.
And, that it has sprouted from whence it is erected adds greatly to its 'value'.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

customsawyer

Bravo!!!!!! Can't wait to see what you do for oncore
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

tcsmpsi

Hey Trev

Never feel guilty about relaxing in the sun...or the shade.  ;D

For an encore, customsawyer, I may do just what Trev did.   :D

solodan

Looks good, I envy you guys, I will get a roof over my head one day, but I think I may need to dispose of my phone first :D also  my wifes business is growing so fast that I have very little time to build anything for my business. But I've built plenty of stuff for her's ???

Trent

Looks Great! Do you air dry, diln dry, or what? Sorry for my ignorance, I've never sawn anything, but am very close. A guy down the road has offered a nice little 20" log to get started with, I don't even know what it is, but it's straight.
Can't fish, can't hunt, don't care about sports. Love to build, machine, fabricate.      Trent Williams

oldsaw

Killer job.  Gotta feel good.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

tcsmpsi

Quote from: oldsaw on November 29, 2006, 12:13:25 AM
Killer job.  Gotta feel good.

Mark

Right now, not too 'good'.    The need to finish it is being a little dominant, and the need to be at the job 20 is creating...light agitation.   :D

Part_Timer

Light agitation is good for ya sometimes.  helps keep priorities straight. :)

Looks real good  Mine is that far along in my dreams. ;)

tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

OneWithWood

second that light agitation

Solodan, I think our wives have been communicating as I am suffering from a similar 'honey do' situation  :D

tcsmpsi, there is no better lumber than the lumber you produced yourself  8) 8)

There is no stopping now . . .
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

tcsmpsi

I don't know now, guys.  Those priorities seem to have their own volition.  Got to spend quality time at the job 20 to pay the electric (and a thing or two other) or would have been a waste of time to do all that work to run the wiring to the shed.   ;D

Not to miss the mention of having worked for a living for over 40 yrs, one tends to wonder if it is a priority or a habit.   :D

In any event, it looks as though the only time I will be able to submit back to the shed project will be this Sunday, and hopefully (sort of) I'll not get emergency call.

tcsmpsi

I was able to leave the shop a little early Sat. so I went and worked on the roofing.  Sunday I would have finished, but it was windy, completely overcast, cold and handling the metal on the roof was a...challenge. 
Anyhow, today, I came in and got really necessary stuff done at the shop, then took off for a while and went and finished the roof, moved the mill and got electricity hooked up.

Thusfar, this is what I have:

flht01

Thanks for posting your progress, I'm about 2 months behind you. Just finished cutting out enough for a 30' x 32' pole barn that will I'll park the mill in. Post more pictures when you get time, I'm geting some good framing idea's from them.

DanG

Now dat's a jim dandy of a saw shed!  I like it! 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tony

Thanks for the pics tcsmpsi, I've got a 20'X40' slab and
    your shed is just what I had pictured for it ;D ;D

Tony    8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Thank You Sponsors!