iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shed design: rafters and purlins

Started by bigmish, October 28, 2006, 06:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmish

Thanks for the quick replies guys. One quick question: I come from a furniture making background and I was thought was that a "tusk tenon" was a through tenon, keyed perpendicularly to the grain (see http://bloodandsawdust.com/sca/tusktenons.pdf). Obviously this isn't how you guys are using the term. Is it that furniture makers and timber framers just use the term differently?

Got the next four days off and I hope I'll find the time to sit down with the info you've all provided and those spreadsheets and finally get these rafters and purlins right!

Thanks, M

Jim_Rogers

Yes a tusk tenon in furniture is different than a tusk tenon in timber framing.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Raphael

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on November 22, 2006, 05:37:18 PM
Yes a tusk tenon in furniture is different than a tusk tenon in timber framing.

They do have a something in common as they both provide tying, in timber framing the tusked member is housed to carry a load (which is usually it's primary function) and tying is often an unneeded or a secondary function.  The size of the timber the tusk is going into allows it to be blind and secured by a peg vs. passing through a thinner member and getting keyed or wedged.
  In my office tusk tennons tie the roof together along the central rafter pair.  I'll have to see if I took a good picture.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!