Sponsors:

How Thanksgiving Day became a National holiday

Started by rebocardo, November 23, 2006, 12:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebocardo

How Thanksgiving Day became a National holiday

Lincoln's Declaration of Thanksgiving
as a National Holiday, 1863

It is the duty of nations as well as of men to owe their dependence upon the overruling
power of God; to confess their sins and transgressions in humble sorrow, yet with
assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon; and to recognize
the sublime truth, announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that
those nations are blessed whose God is the Lord.

We know that by His divine law, nations, like individuals, are subjected to punishments
and chastisements in this world. May we not justly fear that the awful calamity of civil
war which now desolates the land may be a punishment inflicted upon us for our
presumptuous sins, to the needful end of our national reformation as a whole people?
We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of heaven, we have been
preserved these many years in peace and prosperity; we have grown in numbers,
wealth and power as no other nation has ever grown.

But we have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us
in peace and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us, and we have vainly
imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by
some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we
have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving
grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us.

It has seemed to me fit and proper that God should be solemnly, reverently and
gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice, by the whole American
people. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and
also who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and
observe the last Thursday of November as a Day of Thanksgiving and praise to our
beneficent Father who dwelleth in the heavens.

(signed) A. Lincoln
October3, 1863

blaze83

Rebocarbo...

wow!!  thanks for sharing that....it kind of puts the whole holiday into perspective...wonder what would happen if George Bush would write something like that :P

have a fantastic holiday every one

steve

I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Thank You Sponsors!