iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickup Truck Dump Kit Installed

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 28, 2003, 06:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I installed this dump kit I purchased from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company in my 1996 F350

It runs off of a 12V hydraulic unit and says it will dump 2 tons... and it will if you load it twards the back. Get that load twards the front and it's shovel time!! I am the envy of all the guys at the local dump.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Bibbyman

"If I'd known then what I know now,  I could have done then what I need to do now - but can't."  As my good friend Opie said about his love life.

It applies to me too ... but not my love life.  We bought a Dodge 3500 long wheel base cab and chassis and had a custom 11" bed built.  We were going to only haul lumber and was not going to need no dump.

Well,  we got into the firewood business to dispose of some of our cull logs, heart saws and such.  Had a neighbor already in the business that had a small dump truck that would deliver if someone wanted a load delivered.  So we was not going to need no dump.

About the time we got our Blockbuster and got into it,  he got a good job and sold his dump truck. We'll, we'd sell firewood only to those who could haul their own - we was not going to need no dump.

That didn't pan out.  Most people that buy firewood in our area had no way to haul it - else they'd cut their own.  So now we are cutting and delivering firewood and having to pitch it off.  

We've thought about having a dump put under it but that would complicate a lot of stuff - like the toolboxes, etc.  We don't do enough firewood business to justify another truck.  But had we known then....
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

johncinquo

That,,, my friend, is sweet.  I am on my way to look.  Before I break my heart how many duckets is that going to cost?   Then again how much is back surgery?
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Minnesota_boy

I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ADfields

Bibbyman, what about a steel tubing box with a steel floor that sits on the bed you have with a dump sizzer under it.   You could set it off with your loader and have your lumber truck back.   Thats what my buddy did for firewood, his is for 2 cords.    He pulls a 7 prong plug and 2 pins from the back and sets it to the ground and hooks his 5th wheel.
Andy

Bibbyman

Yea,  That would work.  I even got an old farm wagon with a sizzer dump I could get the lift out of.  Just that would be a lot of work to put togeather.  For now,  I guess I'll just set in the cab while Mary pitches it off. ;D
Sawing since '94

dewwood

Bibbyman,

Have you considered a dump trailer?  There are getting to be quite a few of them around here, the local rental store even has one they rent out.  They appear to be fairly well built and have all of the dump equipment already installed.  Most are pull behind but there are some fifth wheel ones also.  There is one guy who has a trash service and will spot a trailer at your place for you to load then call him and he picks it up and hauls it to the dump.  He has two trucks and several trailers he keeps pretty busy.

Just something to consider.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Larry

The guy that cleans up my slabs and treetops bought a new dump trailer about 2 years ago.  It is 8' X 14' on heavy tandem axles.  It has a gas engine to run the hydraulics.  He welded in some U channel so that he can divide it off in half or in thirds then loads it with firewood and delivers.  I have a load of slabs now so he should be hear pretty soon. I will try to get a picture of the trailer when he comes and post it.
Larry
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bibbyman

Yea,  we've looked at dump trailers from time to time.  There is a major manufacture nearby and a lot of trailer dealers.  But on the long list of things I'm good at, you won't find backing up a trailer.  Most of the places we deliver to are very tight to get into.  They all want it as close to some place as possible.  They'd like us to carry it in and stack it but we won't go that far.
Sawing since '94

Weekend_Sawyer

My Father gave me some tips about backing up trailers when I was a teenager. I still do this out of habit, put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, the direction your thumb is pointing is the direction the trailer will go when you turn the wheel that way. Go SLOW. The further the trailer axle(s) are from the truck the wider turn radius you need and the harder to jacknife. Practise makes purfect.

Bibbyman

Do you put your hand inside the wheel or outside ???

Thumb up or thumb down
Sawing since '94

Weekend_Sawyer

:P  :P  Lets use the left hand for this example. When you put your hand on the bottom of the wheel, palm down your thumb it pointing right. If you turn the bottom of the wheel in that direction your trailer will go that direction.
 Turn your hand over, palm up and your thumb will be pointing left, turn the bottom of the wheel that way and the trailer goes that way.

If you put both hands on the bottom of the wheel the tires go flat :o

Bibbyman

Well,  that not only answered my question but the next one too. :D
Sawing since '94

ADfields

Y'all know I been about 30 years in GREAT BIG wreckers towing tractor/trailer rigs right?   About 10 years back I met my wife Dana and it was not long befor I had her driveing 80,000lbs+ of steel out on the open freeways.   But no mater what I tryed I could not teach her to back!   To get the CDL you got to back real good in the test to pass it.   After she had renued her learning permit TWICE she told me one dark day that I was no longer her teacher, she sead some other stuff about ----well the big D and I dont mean divorce. :o   She was talking the big truck stop in the sky and how I would be there if I explained how to back one more time to her!! :o :o   I had been using the "hand on the bottom of the wheel" thing Weekend_Sawyer is talking about.   A week or so later she told me she was all set up with a trainer that was gona show her how to back in an hour and then take her for the state test. :-/ :-X :-X :-X   I just knew this would never work, I had spent well over a year on this and she was NO beter than day 1!!!   But I bit my lip so she would not start thinking of my after life all over. :o    That day came and she was back to the office in just over an hour just like I knew she would be but I did not think she would have the CDL when she got back, but, you know, SHE DID!!! :o :o :o   After I got over the shock she showed me how she truley COULD back a tractor with a 45 foot Landoll on the back with very little trouble at all.   This in way under an hour?   The trick the trainer used was so SIMPLE that it made it all click for her but it was 3 weeks befor she would tell me what it was.  

I have used it time after time now when teaching drivers to back a trailer and it works every time.
 ;DWould you like to know what it was? ;D
Andy

Weekend_Sawyer

No Andy, I would rather file it away as one of the great mysteries of life, right up there with the Lockness Monster, Sasquach (sp) Crop Circles and what women want.

What do women want?  ???

Haytrader

I dunno Weekend Sawyer.
But I always said.......If anyone ever figures it out, they should write a book as it would be a best seller. ;D  ;D
Haytrader

johncinquo

To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

ADfields

;D
 8)

Just wanted to see if y'all was even intrested. :D :D

8)And it was fun !!!  8)

All the guy did was tell her to keep her hand on the top of the wheel and when she sees more trailer in one mirror than the other turn to it.   Thats it!   No big list of things to remember just when you see trailer in the left mirror turn the wheel to it.   Once someone can back in a line without going all back and forth it's no time at all befor thay can back around a corner and hit a dock door dead on!  
Andy

Weekend_Sawyer

I like it.
I'll try it.
I really did want to know ;)

Frank_Pender

You justhave to remember that when backing a set of doubles you to the opposite, right?  I had to learn that when I was 19 and back a  set of doubles into a doorway at night.  The doorway was lighted but not the yard. :'(
Frank Pender

Bro. Noble

Andy,

That's a neat thing to know------wish the old boy driving the Hertz rent-a-semi that delivered seed to the feed and fertilizer place where I used to work knew that.  I spent the best part of a week patching up what he tore up backing up to the dock. >:(

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

whitepe

Back in early January, we were driving from Peoria
to Danville.   Every now and then  I spotted a bag of
seed corn laying in the slow lane. I moved over so as not
to hit them.  I think that I saw three bags total.  About
10 miles on down the road I finally saw this big Dodge
pickup truck going about 45 mph with bags of seed corn
stacked about 15 inches above the top of the sides of the bed.
You guessed it,  as I passed there were two gals in the
truck  who looked like they were spending more
time chatting than pay attention.  It was so bad even my
wife couldn't believe it.   ???
This gal didn't need a dump truck  :D :D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

ADfields

Now backing doubles is a hole new thing.   That takes a LONG time to get good at. ;)   Now stick a wrecker out in frount of the mess and back it into a spot is even harder yet, that one gets you respct from all who see. ;D
Andy

Weekend_Sawyer

I was reading an old thread that had a link to this thread in it.
I miss my old pickup but it didn't have enough pulling power.

Jon

r.man

Did you sell it with the dump kit on it? That would be one of the big advantages of the dump inserts for pickups, less room inside but easy to swap to another truck.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!