iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 025 question.

Started by Steven A., November 22, 2006, 08:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven A.

I was given a 025 Stihl saw today. I'm guessing it is at least 6 years old, maybe more. Its been taken care of well but not run for 5 years. Old gas in it. The man who owned it is no longer with us.
I have not tried to start it, no time today.

I'm wondering if this was a small pro saw or a consumer saw.
And if it does not start because of old gas what is the easiest way to get it going. Complete dissassembly of the carb first?
What else can you tell me about an 025?
Thanks, Al.

TexasTimbers

I am not one of the resident chainsaw experts but I own one of these saws. I think they are going to tell you to take it in and have the carb gone through. However, I inherited an 024 AVS Woodboss which was one of the predessors to the 025, and it had sat for fourish years I think. I got it started after about 30 pulls and it runs great - no rework.
Now my 025 which is alot newer runs like a champ too. I love that little saw. I limb with it.
Get it running right and you'll always have a place for it in the truck.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

sawguy21

The 025 was a great consumer saw, the current version is the MS250. First check compression and spark. Hold the saw by the starter handle, if it does noit ratchet down, you are good to go. Use a neon spark tester to check the ignition, the plug is not a reliable indicator. Squirt a bit of gas in the carb throat after removing the air filter. If it starts and quits, you will need to strip the carb,  thoroughly clean it, and install an overhaul kit. Replace the fuel line and in tank filter while you are at it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Polly

:D 8) you bought a good saw

Ga_Boy

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the FF.

I am not a chain saw expert but I do run Sthil saws.  An easy way to tell the home owner version from the pro version is the color of the handle.

The orage handle is the home owner version.

The white handle is the pro version.

I am sorry to hear how you came to own the saw, I like to belive that the previsous owner would like it if you brought the saw back to running condition and used it well.

Good luck.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

jokers

Check the impulse and fuel lines if you can`t get it running before you become determined to do a carb overhaul, but you will need to remove the carb if either of these lines need replacing. Cracked lines are way too common with todays gasoline formulations.

I think that the 025(now the ms250) is Stihl`s best modern consumer saw and they are often used day in and day out by tree guys with good results.

Thank You Sponsors!