iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What did I do.................

Started by Raider Bill, November 21, 2006, 10:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockn H

Raider Bill, crime does seem to be everywhere, but even though I get dumped on and walked on so to speak.  We haven't had the first thing stolen, and there's not a neighbor in sight.  So it may not be all that bad. :)

Don P

I was thinking a little about this today. You might want to go a little lighter on the no trespassing signs. The conversations at the local store can turn to the new outsider who posted the mess out of his land and why he feels a need to be unsociable  ;). Around here a conversation with some of the oldtimers can be more productive, they often take you under wing and keep an eye and ear out for you.

Mooseherder

I agree with Don about the signage. You have to drive 700 feet on my road before you see the first sign. Funny thing about these locals is you can live in that area for 20 years and still be the outsider.

Patty

Oh yea, Norm & I have lived in Bangor for 20 years now and folks still refer to us as those folks who sell computers at the end of the lane. ::)  Well now, I have never sold a computer in my life, and I used to try to explain this to them, but now I just nod my head in agreement. What is even worse, we grew up less than 20 miles from here, so we are more than 50 years in the area, but we are still considered outsiders around Bangor. Go figure.  ::)   
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Raider Bill

Upon further reveiw, I will keep a sign at each gate, relock them, them put up several more back off the road where the only way to see them is to go through the gate and around a couple curves. Hopefully I will be able to ID the dumper and be able to talk with him.
I don't want to upset the apple cart with the locals.
Does anyone know where I can buy a computor in Bangor IA? Apparently the place at the end of the lane doesn't sell them anymore.............
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Norm

Don't believe her Bill, according to the locals here we're making a fortune selling em. ;D

ely

i have not seen a picture of patty but can see norm in the avatar, i never was very good at math but i am :D having trouble seeing 50 years of life in norms face unless patty is adding theirs together.

Norm

Ely if you were a girl I'd give ya a great big smooch for that comment.....come to think of it maybe it's best if you stay away from Iowa for a couple of weeks. ;D

Patty

Yep Ely, that's it. Norms & my age together.  :-*   
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Mooseherder

Quote from: Norm on December 05, 2006, 06:20:01 PM
Ely .....come to think of it maybe it's best if you stay away from Iowa for a couple of weeks. ;D

smiley_beatnik smiley_heart ;D

Furby

My folks were told by their homeowners insurance carrier to post the property.
That way as long as it was vacant land, their homeowners policy covered the vacant land in case someone got hurt doing something stupid there. It wouldn't have been covered if it wasn't posted.
Something to look into/think about.

Raider Bill

I just got back from my week in TN. I reconned the property and found a couple more dump sites. Most was either construction garbage, or old appliances. I did get 2 names from mail and was able to discuss it with one of them. Of course he denied dumping it there. Hard to argue with him he just flat out said nope isn't his stuff even though every other bag had his name in it. I ened up just asking him to spread the word to stop dumping.
I put up 3 posted signs in 1600 ft of rd frontage not including a extra one at the gate. I posted 10 more further up the logging road out of sight from the main road then set my traps. Shouldn't be anyreason for anyone to be up that far except to dump, plus they will have to cut my lock again.

I did take some pix of the differnt pine/cedar trees there. Now if I can get them muploaded maybe you guys can help ID them?

Raider Bill

Just got a report from my spy in TN.
Again someone cut my lock. Didn't dump anything that he could find but did see 2 deer that had been shot with the hams, loins and backstraps cut out. These were fresh kill.
HA! They would have had to drive over 4 of my traps which I placed on both sides of the trail. The spikes were welded about 2" apart so I figure the normal truck tire would have recieved around 12 nails per trap for a maximum of 48 punctures. That is going to be some expensive venison.
Got thinking about it some more, Mr. Trespasser cuts my lock, drives up the trail, gets 4 flats, calls his buddy to come out and help him and he gets to drive over them too. Thats 96 puntures. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that! fly_smiley

Furby

Problem is, now they know where the "traps" are and will come back, but avoid them.

Raider Bill

My spy says they are still in place. I spiked them down and covered with camoflouge leaves [old navy trick]. There is only one way up there and no place to go around them.
They could park on the county road and walk up I guess but that is a 2200 ft walk before you get to any clearing at all.

SwampDonkey

You need to weld a cup/cap around the lock so they can't cut or pinch it with bolt cutters. That's what folks have to do around here. Ever since the 70's some people in the woods have become deviant. At one time camps were not locked and folks were welcome to use the camp as long as they cleaned up. Now if they use your camp it is often trashed and stuff broke up. These types don't have anything and are real jealous of those that do. Most often drugs and/or alcohol are an influence to the deviants. If you have a camp, don't even say you do 'cause word gets around to these slobs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

I'll do that once I get started there but no power to run my welder at this point even if it was on site.

SwampDonkey

Ya need an inverter on the pickup, and crank the RPM's up a bit. Some have throttle control and amp guages. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PineNut

We have a lot of problems with the 4 R's  (Riff Raff that Ride the Roads) around here also. Fortunately I haven't had too much trouble but any roads into my place from the public road are both posted and in very poor condition.  Those spike strips sound like a good idea.

Don't know what the law enforcement is like in TN but around here if you can find a name/address on the trash, they will work on that. May not be any enforcement but maybe a little scare.

SwampDonkey

They'd have a good chance of being fined here with evidence in the trash, but the fine isn't much more than gas money. So, they aren't likely to be bothered persuing it, unless it's in a $1000 zone, some are only $100. ::) It seems if you sign for no dumping, it attracts people to dump on you.  All it took one time was father to dispose of dead raspberry canes on one site and one of the neighbors took it as a license to dump there PCB plastics and junk from their yard. I seen whose garbage it was, they were local drifters that were never at home much. ::)

Raider Bill

Quote from: PineNut on December 27, 2006, 09:01:38 PM
We have a lot of problems with the 4 R's  (Riff Raff that Ride the Roads) around here also. Fortunately I haven't had too much trouble but any roads into my place from the public road are both posted and in very poor condition.  Those spike strips sound like a good idea.

Don't know what the law enforcement is like in TN but around here if you can find a name/address on the trash, they will work on that. May not be any enforcement but maybe a little scare.

As far as going to the law, I would like to get this stopped in a gentlemenly way.  no_no Actually that went out the window when they cut my lock and took the chain.  smiley_furious3 Now it's more of a Gorilla warfare mission.  smiley_devil_trident  bat_smailey

I've been really thinking about my spike strips. I even have another prototype I just made using 1X3 pt and a T-nailer.  boxingsmiley

I'm heading back up there tomorrow to try and work my way to the top and scout out a building site.  smiley_dizzy plus I want to look at some of the local timber frame floor plans as I'm not really happy with any I've come up with yet.

Thank You Sponsors!