iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust removal ?????

Started by two saw, November 20, 2006, 11:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

two saw

A fellow I know gave me this hay elevator for FREE.  8)
I was thinking I could put it under my mill to keep the sawdust pulled out from under it. It does not take long to get a lot piled up under the thing and them you spend a day or so shoveling it away or you have to move the mill and then the sawdust and reset up the mill.
When I get the mill under roof I was hoping to have it about 3 or 4 ft. off the ground and hang this under it to take all the dust to one end of the mill maybe to another one that  can then pile it somewhere out of the way.
Would have to use some sloping sides to get the dust into the elevator.
The thing is a little rusty but I soaked everything with old engine oil and got it all freed up. Just need to put new wood in the bottom and on the sides. Would like to run it with a small gas engine or a small hyd motor off the hyd unit on the mill.
Wonder where i can get some lumber for the thing? ;D

D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

Rail-O-Matic

I have made a special blower and dust bag collection system, to catch most of the sawdust from the mill, when the bag is full, I simply change it for another, it don't get it all but most of the stuff emerging from the flow side of the bandmill, I would post pictures of it , but have not yet grasped how to do it yet.
Davy.
Logg-saw bandmill, Stihl 088, Stihl MS880, Stihl MS660, Stihl 017, 018,  Husky 385XP, Husky 395, Husky 350, Echo WES 350ES, Echo CS 27T, Jonsered 2150 Turbo, Jonsered 111S, good old saw still going after more than 20 years hard service.

Ron Wenrich

Our mill sits about 3 ' off the floor.  It makes it easier to keep clean, especially if you have a slab.  The vertical edger will blow dust to the side, but we've managed to take care of that pretty well.  We have sheeting to help direct the sawdust into our vibrating table.  Your elevator should work fine.  I would run it with a hydraulic motor, if at all possible.

I have used a dust drag system to get sawdust away from mills.  You put a pole in the ground and run old corn picker chain to a sprocket at the top.  Use power from your elevator to run the bottom sprocket and you won't be shoveling any sawdust. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

IL Bull

I hang a bucket under the discharge side of my mill.  Makes five gallons about every pass on a big log.  Makes it a whole lot easier to clean up. 8) 8)
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

SawDust_Studios

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on November 21, 2006, 05:35:09 PM
I have used a dust drag system to get sawdust away from mills.  You put a pole in the ground and run old corn picker chain to a sprocket at the top.  Use power from your elevator to run the bottom sprocket and you won't be shoveling any sawdust. 

Not sure I understand this...  I know what your talking about with the corn planter, but do you mean put the pole horizontal?
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

beenthere

Sawdust..   Its the corn picker, not the corn planter :).  This technique is pretty standard procedure for circle mills (small ones anyway).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

two saw

The thing with my D & L is that the two saws throw sawdust if four direction and there is sawdust everywhere. The  main saw throws it forward and to the left out a little dischargr chute and down as well. While all this is going on the edger whips it forward and to the right  side. It did not take long to bury the infeed deck with just the discharge from the edger. Wish i would have taken pictures before I cleaned it all up and moved the mill to the house. I have not run it since I brought it home 4 months ago. :'(

D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

SawDust_Studios

Quote from: beenthere on November 22, 2006, 06:48:00 PM
Sawdust..   Its the corn picker, not the corn planter :).  This technique is pretty standard procedure for circle mills (small ones anyway).

DanG. I was hoping just to plant the stuff to grow more trees.  :-X

Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!