iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any moose hunters?

Started by blueox, November 20, 2006, 10:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueox

Personally, I'm not a hunter...don't like guns and can't stand the flavor of venison.

But I have a 15 year old daughter who has been hunting for several years and either she likes it or she pretends to like it. But needless to say, she took her Dad out hunting last year and showed him how to shoot a 140 lb, 4 point buck....I say this with a chuckle, because he's my "EX" and he hasn't shot a thing in 18 years...but he pretends to be the "mighty" hunter...and he's NOT!!  :D

This year my daughter Nykea applied for a "Moose Permit"...and she was chosen. Well you have to choose a quide and another armed hunter. To make a long story short...she was in her tree stand, and about to leave when a big Bull moose came into sight. Her words were....Holy Cow, I was so nervous.....I started to sweat and almost P'd my pants. Her bull moose dressed out at 703 lbs and had an antler spread of 44". She was some proud...and so was I. Once again I could laugh at the EX...the mighty hunter that he thinks he is!! TEE HEE!!!

I've read about some of the recent hunting tragedies and my heart goes out to those families.....Every year, I pray for the last day of hunting season. I can't wait til Sat....I hate having her out in those woods!!

Laurel

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

Mr Mom

Good to hear that she got a permit to hunt a moose. It is even better that she got one.
     Now were are the pictures???

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

SwampDonkey

Now she has to be a one of the rare ones.  My grandmother used to hunt though, but only ruffed grouse. I don't remember ever seeing a gun in mom's hands.

Where was your daughter hunting. That's a good sized moose dressed, considering 1200 lbs undressed is a monster moose.

On a sad note, some horses butt shot one on the farm after the season closed. Let it lay there and rot.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Largest buck deer harvested here last year was 275 lbs, 14 points.

The oldest buck was 12.5 years old and only 7 points.

Highest no. of points was 19, weight unknown, 8.5 years old.

As far as moose, we have a 3 day hunt. In 2005, 2085 moose were harvested legally.

Largest male moose was 1045 lbs, female 790 lbs.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_van

I've got a funny moose story - When our twins were small, second grade or so, my daughter finds a shed deer antler out in the lot - Her brother wasn't happy, he looked & looked but nothing. A few weeks later at work, there's a pair of moose antlers in the dumpster, nice big ones - I brought 'em home, left them up in back, and convinced the twins to go antler hunting once more.  They came back, dragging these antlers, grinning to beat the band.  Mom wasn't happy though, she had to lug them to school for show & tell.  Well, they layed above the garage for 7 or 8 years, then i sold them on ebay for 75.00 or so -  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

moosehunter

I've been to Maine Moose hunting twice. The first time I was drawn and got a 900 lbs bull. The second time my hunting partner was drawn and got a 600 lbs cow. The 600 lbs animal was much better eating!
Try the Moose meat, as good as any beef! Don't let your dis-like for venison keep you from enjoying Moose.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Norm

Well give your daughter a big congratulations from a wanna be moose hunter Laurel. Did you have to go buy a bigger freezer for all of that meat?

thecfarm

At least she not running the streets and you know where she is.Nothing a matter with a little hunting.Something she will remember and tell about her whole life. We always hear the bad about hunting,but how many times do we hear about the good.Just like with plane crashes.How many times do you hear about the planes that land safely?Always hear about the crashes.Try not to worry about her,she will be fine.It is good for her.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RSteiner

Your daugther must be proud of herself that is a fiine trophy she got. 8)

The EX probably got the best job of having to field dress it for her.  ::)

My youngest son is the hunter in the family, he's 25.  I like the taste of deer, moose, and some of the other willdlife he has brought home.

However, I would rather see the animal alive in it's natural habitat but I do know if the herd or flock size is not managed by man then nature will do the same with sickness, starvation, and other animals in the food chain.

He and a friend were selected in the moose hunting lottery in New Hampshire this year for the first time.  They got a younger bull on the first day.  The animal dressed out at just a hair over 500 pounds.  They scouted out the area they could hunt in and found a prize bull was living in the region.  The first thing they saw was this smaller bull so they took it.

It was about 1:00 in the afternoon when they got their moose.  It was 7 hours later when they got the moose 1 1/2 miles to a place where they could use an ATV to pull it the other mile to the truck.  About an hour into the pull out of the woods they were thankful they did not get the big one. 

The first deer my son shot a few years back was within a mile of home.  He was so excited he started field dressing it got half done and ran home to get me to help pull it out of the woods.  It was a 188 pound 8 point buck.  When I got to the deer with him he asked me if I would like to finish field dressing it.  I told him he was doing a fine job and this is one of the reasons I decided not to hunt. 

A couple years later he shot another 8 pointer close to the house and ran back home to get his mother to help him, she did like I did and held the legs out of his way while he did the rest.

Randy
Randy

sawguy21

I do not hunt either but there is nothing wrong with it. She obviously has a responsible head on her shoulders and there is nothing better than a good walk in the woods. Yes, there is a certain risk from irresponsible so called hunters but probably no worse than crossing a street. I do know people like your ex. ::)
Moose is fine as long as it is slowly and thoroughly cooked but nothing worse than a gamy old bull, even the dogs won't eat it.  :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

PineNut

I am not a hunter either but have nothing against hunting. I just don't have the patience for hunting. As a result I lease my property to a local hunting club. The big advantage is they help manage it and also help to keep the riff raff out. Since I know the members of the club, it works out good for me.

Sawyerfortyish

I have hunted since I was old enough to follow my dad around the woods. My oldest daughter and son both hunt. My daughters first buck was an 8 pointer and I was standing right behind her when she got it. I'll never forget her jumping up and down and the ear to ear smile. She was 14 when she got that buck. She's 16 now and driving. I felt more comfortable when she was in the woods hunting than now when she's headed to the mall shopping. Oh and I hope your ex is enough of a dad to have either a deer or the moose head mounted for your daughter. My daughter got her deer mount as a birthday surprize.

Mooseherder

Excerpts from Article on Moose permits taken from St. John Valley Times, Northern Maine.
The proposed rule for 2007 season would increase the number of Moose permits from 2,825 to 2,845.
There were 65,181 applicants who wanted to hunt Moose in 2006. 46,413 were residents, 18,768 were non-residents. Residents are allowed to purchase 1, 3 or 6 chances in the lottery, non-residents can purchase 1, 3, 6 or unlimited blocks of 10.

Part_Timer

I've been to Peace River, Alberta threee times.  I've taken 2 small bull moose and a black bear.   the one set of horns you can tell are moose the other set looks like a crooked spike white tail rack (long embarassing story for the outfitter)  But hay freezer meat is freezer meat.  Them big ones smell worse than they taste. 

Congrats to your daughter. May there be many more.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Mooseherder

PT..The gentleman I bought the mill from had this rare Spike Horned Moose he shot gutted and stuffed.

sawguy21

How do ya shot stuff a moose  ??? I managed to clip one with a fender, at least it was not my truck. ;D

Furby

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 26, 2006, 09:11:40 PM
How do ya shot stuff a moose ???
Pretty easily I would guess, ya don't have ta worry about being quiet! ;D

Part_Timer

That looks pretty much like mine. Sorta rag horned.

Ya stuff em with sage and bread crumbs or brown gravy and shrooms. ;)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

SwampDonkey

I saw a moose this fall with antlers like a deer, but not like your spike horns. It was a weird look'n creature, and he was competing with a bigger bull over two cows.

blueox

Thank you ALL for the kind words and thoughts on HUNTING...The season just ended and now I can breathe easy til next year. (Well atleast until February when she gets her drivers license and then April when Motor cross season starts again....ughhh...she is a dirt bike racer, now thats what really makes my heart flip!! As she clears the 60' Table top jump....)

She shot her moose in Victory Vermont. Her Dad is going to have the head mounted for her, but unfortunately he is getting this done by an inexperienced person. (Oh well, I din't have any say in that...)

The Wildlife Fish and Game Department took her picture and said they were going to use it in their calender. Good For her!! She is pretty darn happy, and she should be!!

Laurel

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

beenthere

Is the new "head" gonna hang at your place?   ;D

That would bring some braggin rights about your daughter. 

We hope you survive her many experiences.  :)

Let's see the picture.....we like pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

Don't let anything 'cept fear and common sense hold her back. You will be fortunate to survive her childhood. :D

Sawyerfortyish

Glad to hear she got her moose. I was fishing in a place called Victory Bog a while back and it sure looked like good moose country. I think it's the same place. I hope she got it near a road otherwise after the fun the work began.
I hope you have a tall ceiling in a room if her dad sends the mount home with her. Moose mounts take a lot of wall space.

Thank You Sponsors!