iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Antique Victor Gas heating stove?

Started by LOGDOG, November 19, 2006, 08:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOGDOG

Hi Everyone,

The other day I decided to stop at a small flea market that's going out of business. While browsing his shop I came upon this small stove. Very intricately detailed, lots of scroll work in the iron. It immediately caught my eye. I saw what appeared to be plumbing fittings at the base and wondered if by chance it was somehow plumbed to heat water. This whole time I'm thinking it was a wood stove. ( I didn't open the doors on it until my second visit.) Well on my second visit I found out it was plumbed for gas. Really I was hoping it was wood. But it's a great looking nostalgic stove. So I find the shop owner and ask him if it's for sale. He kind of coughs and says, "Yeah if you wanna give me $900.00 bucks for it." It kind of set me back a bit. I had notions of tryig to get it for under a $100.00 when I stopped. I'm glad I held my tongue. The guy went on to tell me that the stove is 103 years old. It works perfectly and he's willing to hook gas up to it. He says the collectors magazines say it's worth $4400.00. I should've asked to see the magazine because I'm not quite sure where to look to verify it. So we talked for quite a while about the history of it and such. Turns out he's moving back to New Hampshire and doesn't want to have to move all of this stuff from his store. He says I look like his son and takes my wife and I into his office to look at pictures to prove it. (Small resemblance - I have more hair. :)) So after a good while I told him we needed to run but that I would think on it. He told me to make him an offer he's in the mood to sell it. I'm not sure where to start. But I've got this feeling that the stove is worth money and I can't get that darn thing outta my mind!

Are any of you familiar with these stoves? I'm going to stop by his place with my camera and take some pics to post here. It's maybe 36" high by 20"-24" wide max. Very detailed. Appreciate any input as always.

LOGDOG

Thank You Sponsors!