iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stone in the boot, splinter in the sock

Started by Cedarman, November 19, 2006, 06:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

Have you ever been out walking and get a little stone in your boot? You know, the one that irritates you and you kick your boot sideways to move the stone so it won't bug you.  Or a little splinter or thorn in your sock that sticks you once in a while, but is down in the boot so that you can't get too it.

How long do you put up with something that irritates you (Not talking spouses here)?
Do you take the boot off right now or do you let it irritate you for half a day and then finally say "That's it", get the boot off, pour out the stone and then your foot feels so good that the irritant is gone?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Mr Mom

I take my boot off right were i am at the time of discomfort starts.

Thanks Alot mr Mom

Bibbyman

I can put up with irritation for days on end. 

I've been wearing this pair of work boots for at least three years and they just don't fit quite right.  One middle toe on my left foot catches on the end of the boot and kind of buckles the toe with each step.

The pair of work boots Mary has been wearing for the past 5 years (for the first couple they were her "formal" boots) has one that squeaks rather loudly with every step.  I've had to put up with that.

The other day I did put on my boots and felt something.  I took it off and found a plastic sword in the bottom.  I guess one of the girls left it on the table beside my chair and it fell in my boot.  yikes_smiley
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

The boot comes off and adjustments are made, but sometimes it don't help.  :-\ :(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

Quote from: Bibbyman on November 19, 2006, 07:46:08 AM
The other day I did put on my boots and felt something.  I took it off and found a plastic sword in the bottom. 

I have this problem on occasion also  ;D :)  I won't put up with an irritant for too long.  Especially when it involves my feet. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

leweee

Old Chinese saying "pebble in shoe....make you limp" :)

I don't put up with it long if I can stop to remedy it .;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

solodan

I usually wear a 12" tall boot, so I rarley get rocks or sticks in them, but what bothers me is when I wear my paks during the winter,....  >:( my *DanG socks always slide down inside and get all bunched up. >:(

Burlkraft

I'll go all day if I can stand it.....I don't really know why either.. ;D ;D ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ScottAR

I stop and remedy the problem as soon as possible... 
I hate foreign (or domestic) objects in my shoes/boots... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Paul_H

I'll stop and remove the irritant too before it has a chance to cause harm or bring on infection.I can put up with things that are beyond my control but a stone in my boot only takes a moment.
I'm no Oyster and the stone won't turn into a Pearl.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

I leave my boot, with the stone in it, in the house and tippy toe, barefoot, through the front yard.  Usually I'm in pretty good shape but sometime  the acorns and sweet gum balls are real numerous.  Boy! do they hurt.  The problem is getting out in the middle of them and knowing that you have to go back through them to get to clean ground.  Sandspurs!  Now there is a mean little son-of-a-gun.   I don't have them on my place, but the area sure has enough.  They get stuck in the bottom of your foot and the only way to get them out is scrape your foot on a hard place.   It's the ones that get in your socks that really hurt, but I don't worry about that as long as I'm barefooted.

Now, we have some cows up the road that make it difficult to stay on bare ground sometime.  When I was little, we used to take our shoes off and see who could get the farthest into the cow pasture without getting on bare ground.  That's not fun anymore.

I stumped my big toe the other day.  That's the first time in years.  You want to feel a hurt now, that's a hurt.  As a matter of fact, it doesn't hurt right at first, it gives you a chance to think, "Ow!, that's gonna hurt in a minute".   Then it does.  :)

Sometimes those shoes are just too uncomfortable to begin with to risk getting something in there with your foot, too.   ;D

customsawyer

Sand spurs you southern gents always told me they was porcupine eggs and that I had to crack them all to keep them from hatching. ;D :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

sprucebunny

Quote from: solodan on November 19, 2006, 03:46:45 PM
my *DanG socks always slide down inside and get all bunched up. >:(

That's what I call "attack socks"  :D  :-X They make me so angry. Turns out that socks come in different sizes and a smaller size of a good quality sock has helped alot.

I'll put up with a small stone for an hour or so if I'm busy but when a rasberry thorn gets me, I got to remove it.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Larry

Is this a test?  I've left that stone or splinter many times...and it got so painful or irritating that I removed it.  Course by this time it had wore a little hole in my footsy which continued to hurt.  So... guess I get rid of the irritant asap...gonna do it later when it gets to hurting anyhow.

Got dogs? They seem to delight in hiding a little bone, chewy, or bit of dog food in my boot just to see me hop round. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

What do you want to know for?I'm looking behind to see if someone is watching me.I stop as soon as I feel it and take care of the problem.I just can not and won't put up with it.No problems with my socks,I wear white stockings and than a winter heavy sock all year around in my outside boots.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don_Papenburg

If I know that I might get more stuff infiltrateing my boot I will just step lightly till the bad job is over . other times out it goes pronto. 
I no longer wear packs because of the sinking sock thing and my feet sweat too much in them then they freeze too fast.   I wear a pair of loose fitting (two /three sizes larger rubber boots over my leather boots . That little airspace tends to break the thermal bridge as I walk and they arenot warmenough to make my feet sweat.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

pigman

If I get a stone in my boot I remove it immediately. I have such pretty feet that I don't want to scar them.  ::)  I will be glad when I get this cast off so I will be able to put my left boot on my pretty left foot. ;D  One more week. 8)

Broken leg Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

What do you do if you get a stone in your cast Bob?

pigman

Furby, the cast comes up high enough that the pants leg keeps the stones out.  Besides, it would be hard to get a stone in the boot sitting around the house. :(

Bob

isawlogs

I will try knocking it over in the boot , but not for long , if it gets under my tender feet , I will stop and remove it on the spot .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

My old-timer friends older brother used to have tough feet and he used to stand on the hearth in front of the fire to get warm on a cold morning.

One morning his Daddy said, "LC....   your a-standin' on a coal with your foot".

LC said, "which one, Pa?"

Ianab

What really bugs me is when you notice the pebble in your boot, so you stop, untie your boot, shake it out, put it back on, lace it up again and take a couple more steps....

And find the pebble was in your SOCK  :D

I find that since I haven't been surfing a much lately my feet have got a bit soft and I start looking for my Jandels (flip flops ) to go and check the mail when it's below freezing. It used to be that I could walk over 300 yards of barnacle encrusted boulders in bare feet to get to a good wave  :D

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom

If you can walk on barnacles, you an walk on anything!

Don_Papenburg

Bob does that leg get too ichen'  ?   I had a friend that broke his arm he would even stick the flyswater handle up the cast trying to relieve the ichen. Any whay his lovly daughters found out about the power of suggestion . So when he got done flyswater handleing his arm they would walk by and start scrathing on their arm . ;D ;D :D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

pigman

Don, to my surprise the leg in the cast has not itched at all. :o  The other leg itches all the time and I have scratched it raw. ::)  Six more days. 8) Everyone tells me the ankle will be weak when the cast is removed. That will give an excuse to loaf for a few more days. ;D

Bob

Thank You Sponsors!