iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT10/15

Started by tim1234, November 18, 2006, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim1234

I seem to have been bitten by the sawmill bug!!  Unfortunatly I live in the middle of the city albeit on 2 Acres that back up to a wooded floodplane.  I do have a good size garage and access to some pretty decent sized trees (Oak, Walnut, Ash, Maple). 

Some day I would like to get a hydraulic band mill, but for now I was condsidering getting a small manual mill.  I really am not looking to go into buisness selling lumber or sawing services, but milling lumber for a woodworking buisness of my own. 

What is the opinion of a Woodmizer LT10 or LT15.  I know these are small mills limited to samller logs (24" in dia if I remember correctly), but I was wondering if anyone knows how well they cut compared to a larger mill?

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

DanG

Go for it, Tim!  Those little mills do a nice job of making boards.  Most manufacturers make a small, hobby class mill, and they are reasonably priced.  In your position, something like the LT-10 might be just right.  You can even store it in the corner of the garage when you're not using it.  Don't worry about logs bigger than 24 inches.  You don't even want to think about handling anything bigger than that by hand.  You can get some great lumber out of smaller logs in the 12-16" range, and have more fun doing it.

Another thing about these mini-mills; you can get away with running them in the city, usually, because they make no more noise than your lawn mower, and less than your router or planer.

You'll have more friends than you ever dreamed of, once the other woodworkers find out you have a mill. ;) :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tim1234

I know the LT10 goes for about $4K.  Is there any place to look for slightly used mills?  The Woodmizer sight has a few, but mostly the big stuff.  I usually like buying new because I know how I have used my tools.  Every time I lend out a tool, it comes back a little "different" which can be a saftey issue.  This would be the same case with a used mill, you don't know if it was used or abused.  But a slightly used one might do the trick if it is in the right condition.

Any sites or orgs would be great.

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Bibbyman

One thing I'd point out is that the LT15 is available with a 10hp electric motor in either single phase or three phase.  The demand shouldn't be too great to tie into your existing service - if it's pretty much up to date and has some excess capacity. 

This makes it ideal in my book for indoor/urban sawing.   

Both mills can be broken down and stored in about the same space as a riding lawn mower.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

millit

Hey Tim
   Try sawmill Exchange.com smiley_carpenter_hit_thumb smiley_swinging_board

Part_Timer

Just my .02

if your going to spend the $4k for the 10 spend the extra and get the LT15.  I had one (LT15)and it will do a lot of work for the size of the mill.  I had 32" logs on mine.  I would not want to make a habit of it but you can do it.  I would consider the 15 a bit more than a hobby mill.  There are a lot of guys on here doing amazing things with it.  Check out the general board for a thread on cabin building by Qweaver.  Just amazing

You might look at the Skillmill also.  It's a swing blade that runs on a 3hp electric motor.  Breaks down real small, about the same size as the LT10.  Kinda neat for a hobby mill.  www.skillmill.com   I'm not pushing it just another option for a city dweller.

have fun

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

WDH

I agree with Part_Timer.  Go for the LT15 and the extra horsepower.  It is worth the extra money.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Furby

I had planned to get the LT15 with the 10 horse electric, then I found my mill. ;D
After seeing the LT10, I would get the LT15 over the LT10 in a second, but get what works for you. :)

DKinWA

I bought a LT15 about two months ago and I really like it.  Unfortunately, between work the shorter days and storms, I've only been able to mill one log smiley_crying.  Today I started building a roof over the mill so I could at least mill during the weekends without drowning in the rain.  I considered the LT10, but I think the extra money for the LT15 was worth it.  If the mill wasn't so far from electricity, I'd went with the 10hp electric, but the 15hp seems to work just fine.  Hopefully I'll finish the roof this week so I can really start making sawdust smiley_hollywood_cool

Qweaver

Hi Tim,  I'm using an LT15 to saw all of the wood needed to build a cabin. I bought my mill used but in excellent condition.  It has enough extensions to enable sawing up to 20' but I don't need anything over 16' for my building.  I started sawing in Aug. of 95 and have sawed enought wood to build a 40'x 24' saw shed, a 14x30 extension to my motorhome shed and almost everything that I need for the cabin.  It's pretty common for us to saw 20 to 24" dia. logs and we have sawn a few 28"+ but that's really pushing it...not that the saw minds, but turning those brutes by hand is a chore.  Good luck with whatever you choose.
Here's a picture with one of the biggies on the mill and you can check out my cabin building thread at
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=19307.0

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Thank You Sponsors!