iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forks that mount over bucket

Started by johncinquo, November 17, 2006, 11:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

I want to add a set up forks to my front end loader.  I have seen the quick attach that can swap between the bucket and a set of forks, but I dont want to put that extra money into it nor do I think I will have to use it that much.  I was wondering if there is a set of forks that can mount over the back of the bucket, and then rest on the bucket somehow.  I think the thickness of the steel needed to make it strong enough stops me from trying to make something like this myself.  Is this an option?
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Murf

John, two problems, first, the bucket is intended to carry weight spread out well, not concentrated like forks do, secondly, there really isn't anywhere meety enough on the average bucket to mount a bracket to hold the forks adequately.

Overall, the slip on type seem the best, but are so limited in the amount of weight they can lift that they really are mostly a waste of time.  ::)

Having said that, there's *lots* of times I use my loader to hoist just a few hundred pounds, sure saves the back!!   ;)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Furby

John, get the quick attach, and a real set of forks.
Once you damage your bucket, you are out some $ anyways.

Don P

I used one homeowner built set that worked well. Sections of pipe were welded to the tops of the forks. Blocks were welded to the bucket top, they had holes bored in them that a shaft went through. The shaft slid through the pipe on the fork. The forks could be flipped over the back of the bucket when not needed. We never tried to lift too much with them, it worked well.

scsmith42

John, I have three different front-end loaders.  One with separate bucket and fork assemblies that require me to drive out the pivot and tilt pins to swap between then, one that accepts skid-steer quick-detach attachments, and a Cat Integrated Toolbar system.  I've also operated loaders with bucket forks that swiveled from the upper, back side of the bucket - pivoting over the front when needed and swung back when not.

Of all of then, the Cat Integrated Toolbar is by far the sweetest one to use.  I can change buckets, forks etc w/o leaving the cab in less than 1 minute (it's about 15 seconds to remove and hook up a new attachment, and 30 seconds or so to move the machine from one to the other. 

The universal skid steer type is my second favorite; it takes about 5 minutes or so to swap between attachments - primarily due to the need to hook up the hydraulics to the grapple, 4 in one bucket, etc.

The "swing-over" forks that pivot from the back of the bucket I would rank 3rd in terms of convenience, but last in terms of ease of use.  The bucket prevents you from being able to see the forks, so when you're using them it's more by feel and guessing rather than precise visibility.

The pin-on sytem is an utter pain to use.  It takes me about 30 minutes to swap between the fork carriage and the loader bucket.

If you're only going to use them occasionally, consider the "swing-over" style.

Good luck.  Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Qweaver

Here is how I made mine.  They are made using 4" channel and after bending them a few times I then welded a long leaf spring into the channel to stiffen it.  The turn buckle and shackle make them quick to mount.  I really need better pictures.  They work well for me.  We also built a wood platform that mounts on the forks to work from.  I'd hate to be without them. 
Quinton

Here's sarah hauling brush with them.

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

78NHTFY

John:
I bought a pair of forks that look very similar to Qweaver's but heavier duty.  Have used them for the past 4 yrs on my bucket loader with no problems.   :)Regularly load logs onto my sawmill deck.  If I remember, paid about $ 300 for the pair. 
If you have time, you win....

Woodcarver

I have a pair similar to Qweaver's, but heavier, that my son fabricated for me.  I've used them to deck sawbolts and pulp the past two winters with no problems.     
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Qweaver

Here is a drawing of how I built mine.  Since I added the leaf springs I have not bent the forks and I have attempted to lift more than the hydraulics can muster...so they are as strong as they need to be for my tractor and nothing to be gained by making them heavier.  I'm using a shackle to connect the chain to the turnbuckle and I'd use a grab hook if I were doing it again.  The welds must be full depth especially on the piece that slips over the front edge of the bucket.
With the forks spread out as far as they will go the load is placed on the bucket at the strongest point and I believe you'll stall out the hydraulics before you hurt the bucket...if not you have a really poorly designed bucket.  These are the most handy and frequently used attachment on my tractor.  I can not imagine not having them.  I regularly work off of the platform that we built for them to reach the sides of the cabin that we are building.

Good luck
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

wiam

Quote from: johncinquo on November 17, 2006, 11:15:37 AM
I have seen the quick attach that can swap between the bucket and a set of forks, but I dont want to put that extra money into it nor do I think I will have to use it that much.

I purchased a new tractor about 2 years ago.  It has a skidsteer type quicktach.  I was not looking for this option.  DO NOT TRY TO TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME.  If you can unlatch 2 levers to mount the forks you will be surprised how much they will get used.

Will

snowman

Try paynesforks.com  I got the medium duty ones and am very pleased. They are rated at 2000lbs.Ive been useing mine all summer loading logs and am very satisfied. One thing though, get the fork stabilizer or else they are constantly shifting. Best part is it takes like 2 minutes to take them off or put them on, very handy tool.

johncinquo

Thanks for all the input guys.  As always lots of good ideas and information.   I am taking the rig down to the local welding shopt to have him take a look and discuss what he can do.  I have printed out the pics of the ones shown here to work over ideas. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Gustavo

thanks to the forum for share very value informations.
here i have got good information  and  over all   good friends

Thank You Sponsors!