iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manual mills

Started by MrMoo, January 27, 2003, 09:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMoo

Hi Folks,
I am looking for information on manual sawmills. I am tossing around the idea of changing mills.

I have looked through the old topics on manual mills and I have gotten good information from them.

In particular I am looking for information on the following mills:

Cook's Saw their MP30 or MP32
Quality Mfg. their Grizzly 30.

Anything that anyone has to offer would be great.

Brrrr its cold here this morning. I thought we left this cold stuff behind last week.

Thanks,
Mike

Tagerts_crossing

I saw a timber king 1220 on ebay with realy low hours.  I don't know anyone who has one but I saw their video and was impressed.  also look at the baker ( and dozens outhers) they have two mills that will be close to the size.  
      John
John Schoolcraft

DanG

Mr. Moo, not to take away from the mills you asked about, but a really fine, manual mill is built, right up the road from you. Check out the T.A. Schmidd mill, made in Maine.

Sorry, I don't have time to dig up the web-site, right now.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

MrMoo

DanG
I have been to T.A.Schmidd's website. It looks like they're from NY but that's still pretty close.
Their Maxi Trax mill looks pretty interesting. Are you using a Schmidd mill?

DanG

No, but I have seen them at the Moultrie show, and have talked to Mr. Schmid, several times. I was considering a manual band-mill, at the time, and looked closely at a lot of them. This is the one I would have chosen, if I hadn't decided to go with a big mill.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

MrMoo

Thanks Dan,
Your feedback saying the Schmid mill was the one you would have chosen is the type of feedback I'm looking for.

Mesquite Man

I bought a TimberKing 1220 and really like it.  It is well built and runs great.  It would be a good one to consider.

Sitruc
"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

ADfields

I have a MSG Industries 250E bi-directional mill and I just dont see a beter mill around for the price!!   It's $5500 on 20 foot of track compleet.   Stock with 13 hp Honda with key start, auto cutting fluid, cuts 28" and cuts both ways or 1 way.   Will cut tapered sideing, tapered shingels and wedges without extra stuff to buy.   The onley grip I have is it's hard to crank the head back to the top to start a new log, it's a bit of a work out.   I have plans to put a counter waght and a 12volt moter and a bike chain on it for power up and down but it's not all that bad for now like it is.   I shoped long and hard and the onley other manual mill I considered after running the MSG in this price range was the Wood Mizer LT16 but feel I can do a lot more for the money on the MSG for the buck.   When I move up to a power mill it will be a Wood Mizer.  

MSG has no web sight but the other info is.
West 8120 Luke ave
Spokane, Washington  99224
509-624-7575 and fax 509-624-2783

Good luck on the mill! 8)
Andy

Noble_Ma

Mr Moo,

I bought a Baker 18HD.  It's the heavy duty version of the 18M.  It's fully manual and came with a 20HP Honda electric start motor.  It will handle a 30"diameter log 20'6" long.  I bought it last spring and love it.  Obviously, there is a lot of physical labor involved with a manual mill so keep that in mind.  You're welcome to come down to Mass to see mine if you'd like.  It's buried under a few feet of snow but I think I could uncover it enough to give you an idea of how it is built.  Send me an Instant Message if you'd like more info.

Noble

bull

Mike   Go Woodmizer  LT 15. I had one for three years it paid for itself in 3 months.....  I'd buy another in a heartbeat...... now they come w/ a bigger motor and electric start. I went to a hydralic machine LT40SUHD36 because I thought I could cut more. Never had a breakdown or computer problem with the LT15. 2 pulls and we were cutting. cold weather doesn't stop the little machine and you can expand w/bed sections of 6+ ft. and you can do it in about 10 minutes...   start up money around $6000.00... email me at mpinepfp@aol.com
I will talk up this machine with you !!!!

GarryW

Mike,
 Woodmizer will be at the NH Farm and Forest Exposition in Manchester, NH on Feb. 7 and 8. It might be a good time to see an LT15 and maybe some other mills as well, though I really didn't see others listed in the participant's list.
Garry

bull

Mike, other guys are faster at this computer stuff....
  I will be in Manchester NH on the 7th w/ the Woodmizer guys to talk up the LT 15............... hope to see you there
                                             Bull/Mike Pineo

bull

DouginUtah

Andy,

I'm replying to your comment that MSG doesn't have a web site.

Try http://www.msgind.com/mills.html

:D

It is listed on my sawyer's web page.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

jwoods

Mr. Moo

I have a TA Schmid.  It's done a very good job for my weekend warrior sawing.  If you check the facts, TA Schmid mill have larger capacity than any other.  I wouldn't be afraid to try to make money with it.  If you're not handy with a welder, the Maxi-Track package is definitely worth it.  

ADfields

Thanks Doug.   When did thay start that?   I asked them not that long back and was told no.
Andy

Kevin

I have the LT-15 and I`m very happy with it ...and the service.

Go Orange

MrMoo

Thanks to everyone who contributed info on the manual mills.

I'll be looking into some of the suggestions.

louisbasle

Mr. Moo,
I've has a TA Schmidt mill for five years now and love it.   For the money i think it's the best.  The owners are very good to do business with.  If your around the Troy,NY area call me and I'll demo for ya......
lou basle
(518)663-9924
lou

MrMoo

Thanks Louis,
The TA Schmidt maxi trax interests me.

Do you notice any flex in the frame of your mill. I am really trying to find a mill with a frame that does not flex.

I mill on gravel & the weight of the logs compresses the dirt under the feet. I put patio blocks under them but still get compression. Eventually the middle legs of the mill don't have support & the middle of the mill sags. I end up having to true things up every couiple of logs.

My neighbor has a WM LT30 and that frame does not seem to flex. JC Saw build their mills with 1/4 inch tubing so that must have little flex. I also wonder what Quality mfg is doing since they only support their frame at each end of the mill.

MrMoo

This is to Mike Pineo

I tried to send you an email the other night but it was sent back saying your email address was unknown.

Is the address correct? Let me know & I'll try again.

Mark M

Hi MrMoo

I don't know if you've seen this site but it has links to most of the manufacturers.

http://www.sawmill-exchange.com/links.htm

I finally settled on the Norwood, but gave serious consideration to the Woodmizer, Baker, Linn, Cook, Hudson, Kasco, and several others. It really hard trying to decide when so many good mills are out there.

Good luck

Mark

ADfields

MrMoo, when you look at how steel will flex it's not how thick it is but how tall it is.   Wood Mizer's have a 8 inch tall tube to keep the flex down.   It dont need to be thick as it's 8" tall and thats the strenth of it not how thick the wall is.   Same in a floor joist, a 2x8 will flex less than a 4x4 even thow it's the same amount of wood in both.   Thick, heavy steel in the wrong plain can even make it flex more.   If you have a mill now and the onley gripe you have with it is flex why not slip a pair of 2x8 3/16 web I beams under it so it will stop diping on you?   Thats about $250 in steel and it would be even less likeley to dip than a WM.   Also could get rid of all but 4 stands that way so it wont dip on you even if it sinks.
Andy

bull

Mr.Moo  
                my typing in skills are modified point and poke so iI may have hit the wrong letter

mpineopfp@aol.com   or    pineoforestprod@aol.com

They should both work, will be waiting for the email....

thecfarm

Check out Thomas Bandsaws in Brooks ME.I have one.Prices start at $3500-$15000.I spent$7200 and like it.Mine doesn't flex either.I did buy the option for more tubing,just in case.I have a 20hp motor,can cut a 20 foot log,and have a 32 inch throat.
http://www.thomasbandsawmills.com/
They will be at the Shootout in Bangor,ME this year.Come see it there.You can go to Brooks,too.they have one all set up there.I like mine,it's very simple to fix,if anything does get out of line.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!