iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Google Earth this: 48 34'30.52 n, 123 04'30.94 w

Started by logwalker, November 16, 2006, 12:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logwalker

I thought it might be fun to look at others homesteads. This my lat/lon. If you paste this into the search window in google earth you will go directly to our house on San juan Island, WA. We are about in the center of 20 acres of trees. Basicaly Doug fir and Red Alder.

If you havn't tried Google Earth yet you will need a faster connection than dial-up but it is free to the public and is very amazing what it can do. I can "fly" anywhere in the world. After you find your house put your cursor over it and read the lat/lon numbers in the window below. Copy those manually to the search box and hit go. It should put a crosshair over your place. If that works then just copy the search window numbers and paste them here.

So how about it? Does anyone else have a lat/lon to share? LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

sawguy21

It is a lot of fun to play with. You can tilt the view so that it appears in 3D, it actually would be the view from a low flying aircraft. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Well here's mine @ 46.495612 N , -67.778044 W

But I have not downloaded Google Earth. Too slow a connection on dial-up. I'm not sure if that is precisely over the place, but it must be close. You should see a straight line to the west, that is the US boundary line. I'm surrounded by mostly field and on the left of the highway with trees all around on 4.3 acres. Not sure if your program has a measurement tool to get area, never used it. The most current aerial view I have is from 2004. My woodlot is about 2-1/4 miles north of there on a dead end road, the last bit of woods before the big field on the end of that road, left hand side. Should look like strips or trails running N-S and W-E on some of it. Maybe there is a 3D view of the mooses terrorizing my trees. :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

logwalker

I checked and it put you about .4 miles east of the boundry. Right on the north edge of a big field that is shaped like the upper end of the state of Maine with a big comma on the bottom. Does that ring a bell? LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

SwampDonkey

Yup sounds familiar. Opposite side of the road (westward) from the comma tail is my woods. It goes all the way over to the boundary. Now if you measure from my north line (which is the edge of the field as you drive up there) it is 2.71 miles south to my house lot surrounded by fields. Got the measurement off my GIS map. Should see house, barn and a couple sheds. I don't know if the image shows the cast shadow of my spruce hedge row to the north of the house. It will if the image is from the visible spectrum and not IR.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

BTW, west of my woodlot is Mars Hill where they are erecting that wind farm. Also, you'll see a few ski runs on the town (west) side of the hill.  ;D

Modat22

Nice place!
Here's my little piece of home
37°46'0.16"N,86°16'0.02"W
remember man that thy are dust.

scgargoyle

My patch of woods: 35 02'46.48"N  82 23'35.58"W. Property is north east from road. We hope to move there in a few years.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

bitternut

This is a very interesting topic. Kind of neat to look at members locations from space. This is where I live 43 22' 18.13"N, 78 31' 09.19"W. My 200 acres is located at 42 08' 01.2"N, 78 12' 30.06"W. I know a guy that seals and stripes parking lots and he uses this program to give estimates. Most cities you can count the parking spots and figure the area easily. Not too much detail in my areas though.

logwalker

Hey Bitternut, is your homeplace on the shore of that large lake? I should know the name of it but for the life of me can't think of it. LW

bitternut

Yes logwalker I am about 80' from the lake. Its Lake Ontario which if one of the great lakes. The way its been raining lately it seems almost like I am in it. Been a wet fall here.

Furby

This thread reminded me that I had taken a reading with the GPS at the cedar field with the plan to look it up on Google Earth.
All I can say is pretty DanG cool! 8)
Sure wish I had internet access out there as it would have saved me a 5 mile hike, oh well, live and learn. ::) :)

sawguy21

49 08' 57.50"N 122 46' 45.83"W I hear ya bitternut, we had the mother of wind and rainstorms yesterday ::) I moved here to get away from prairie winters but not sure if this is much of an improvement
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Sprucegum

My most favorite spot is 54 25' 49.60 N and 111 28' 20.36 W   8)

That stream is called the Beaver River, its about 10' wide and 2' deep  ;D

My little old laptop gets pretty fuzzy if I try to look too close at anyone's place   :(  >:(

SwampDonkey

That's brings a question to mind. What scale can you zoom to before things get fuzzy? It's still pretty crisp on my GIS with aerial photos at 1:5000. I thought some of them new satellites could get to within 3 meters, but they might be those special military satellites. And the atmosphere probably creates a lot of distortion. I'm thinking it probably low res on your home computers as it would take a lot of video memory to display the full band of the image. I suppose they could cut it up into smaller segments for home users, but that probably comes with the prescription service. ;)

Furby

Some areas don't have an updated pic so you really can't zoom in far before it gets fuzzy.
Areas with updated pics you can zoom in nice and close, as in 1 or 2 thousand feet.

Mooseherder

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=45.1501~-67.935424&style=h&lvl=7&scene=1915478

This site uses satelite images from 1996 in the north and more recent images in the south. Microsoft bought this off someone else and upgraded the program. It is more defined. Shows alot more detail although black and white in some areas of the country and very detailed color  in some areas. It appears you can zoom in about a thousand feet above your property. You can use the mouse roller to zoom in or out. Left click hold and drag map to your area. Click on your general area and zoom. Kinda freaky.  smiley_policeman I sent my northern friend a bookmarked image of his work building and told him it was time to get the snow off his roof last year.  It freaked him out.

Burlkraft

I couldn't the DanG Google Earth to install........ >:( >:( >:(
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

47.35 N -66.80W Mountain Carleton with fire tower on top

47.15N -66.90W  North end of Serpentine Lake, should see a dam on the north end and a set of camps grandfather built.

47.15N -66.70W Christmas Mountains

47.05N -67.75W Grand Falls gorge on the Saint John River

47.70N -66.75W Popelogan Brook enters the Upsalquitch River. My favorite stretch for salmon fishing.  Crooked Rapids. ;D

47.67N -66.70W Upsalquitch Forks, Caribou Mountain to the east. Cravens Gulch to the Southwest.

SwampDonkey

I tried to D/L Google and got 2/3 downloaded and the connection timed out. The connection seemed slow too, at 1.2 Kbits. Usually I get around 3.0. Must be all you guys Googling on there. :D :D Have to try it later when your all asleep.  ;D

hiya

My little 2 acres is at 39 22' 40.30 n    77 12' 15.37w. on dial up I can only get to 7380' before it starts to get fuzzy. I tried it up in my home area in union co. Pa. and I couldn't close enough to see buildings before it got fuzzy.The farm just west of me is where we hunt.
Richard
RichardinMd.

Furby

I downloaded it on my parents puter yesterday. They have cable. :)
My siblings caught wind of it and we were flying around the earth looking at different cities that they wanted to visit. 8)
The cool part was some of the towns in Russia had amazing detail, but here in the US where we live........ ya can't really see anything. ::)

Ironwood

I love this stuff. I was a Terrain Analyst, in the Army went to the Defense Mapping School, this is what we studied.  You and even see in three dimension (stereoscopic vision) if you sequential shoots iin a flight line. I could stare at a photo for hours. The change in perspective to "a low flying plane " would be called a "low oblique". When in stereo vision you can measure very exactly all sorts of contextual information. I was in before the fall of the Wall and I did loads of neat stuff. Kinda miss the stuff, but it's been what...17 years, lots has changed. I couldn't imagine the stuff that goes on thru our friends at the Pentagon.  ;D

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Furby

Go to the Grand Canyon, go down near the river and then tilt the view. ;D 8)

Paschale

This is very cool...I visited the Great Pyramids and the Sphinx, bopped around the world looking at some of the world's tallest buildings, plus the Eiffel Tower and the Washington Monument. 

So with Google Earth, maybe I can have a few questions answered.

I've flown into San Francisco a couple of times, and on the approach, I see some of the most bizarre landscape I've ever seen.  I believe it has to be some sort of mineral mining or deposits of some sort, but I can't figure it out. 

Check out these coordinates--I'd be really curious to know what you all think this might be.

37 28'56.98" N, 122 01'31.99" W

And here's another cool, historical site to check out...   8)

41 53'24.68" N, 12 29'32.42" E
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

timcosby

my little hole in the wall. 30-31-15.48n  87-43-36.7w

logwalker

Paschale, they could be salt drying ponds or maybe some kind of aquaculture. Very wild looking.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Fla._Deadheader

Never took flying lessons, and almost ran into this.  10°27'27.20"N   84°42'11.14"W  :o :o

10°27'44.96"N   84°42'14.78"W  8) 8)

Still looking for myself.  ::) ::) ::)

update: Best I can get. We are under the clouds just down on the screen about 2".

10°34'7.04"N    84°43'23.16"W  ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

All I get is white screen at those coords since I have no access to those photos. Ermm maybe it's the volcanic ash. ;D :D :D

Furby

Paschale, if you zoom way in and put you cursor on the i it will tell you that they are the Cargill Salt Company concentrator ponds.
That is if you have the boxes checked in the box on the left.
The salt in the big white pond is being removed if you look close.
Those pics are from May 30, 2006.

Furby

Don't let dial up stop you Reid, I have dial up as well.
Once the program is downloaded, things are a little faster.
Just give it a bit of time. ;)

Fla._Deadheader

Donk, yer zoomed in too close.  :D :D  Go back and zoom out some. Then, do the landscape altitude thing.  8) 8) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Furby on November 19, 2006, 02:14:01 PM
Don't let dial up stop you Reid, I have dial up as well.
Once the program is downloaded, things are a little faster.
Just give it a bit of time. ;)

I tried 2 times and the thing timed out while trying to download it. The connection speed was slower than normal, so I still think you guys are hogging all the bandwidth.  ;D :D :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on November 19, 2006, 02:25:27 PM

Donk, yer zoomed in too close.  :D :D  Go back and zoom out some. Then, do the landscape altitude thing.  8) 8) ;D ;D

I've already zoomed out, crashed and burned, missed the flight or what ever ya call it.  :D :D :D ;)

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!