iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cantilevered outdoor lumber racks

Started by Ironwood, November 15, 2006, 09:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

I so giddy I just had to share!! I have a storage system currently which works OK but I recently got access to some lumber yard racking. I got 100' of double sided self roofed HEAVY racking. The peak is 23' high. The other is single sided, (I had aready removed the roof in the picture) with a peak at 18', there is 60' of this. The lumber yard was permantly closed and I got all the outdoor racking including the HEAVY channel pallet racking. I spent the better part of 2-3 weeks getting down and home. I rented a JLG 35' bucket trailer to get it down. I torched most of the bolts. I went through several large oxygen bottles and one large acedylene (sic) and a few tips. The units need some attention (straightening, welding, blasting, and painting) but man am I excited. I will hang a curtain of confinement tarp (able to be rolled up easily) to prevent water spoiling my stacks. I can't wait until spring to put it back up.

Reid

PS. also got my BIG lift painted 14,000lb lifter 14' with side shift (great compliment to the racks)

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Bibbyman

That's what I'd like to have.   

We have an old lumber yard on our edge of town that's been out of business for 20 years.  The main building is now a pet store. But all the lumber sheds are standing around empty.  Then just up the road is an 84 lumber place that was only in business for 3-4 years and then shut down when another big lumber yard came to town.  It has about an acre of racks in back like the ones you got - just standing empty.  Don't they know I need them?  But I couldn't afford to have them taken down and rebuilt at my place - even if they gave them to me.  :'(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

beenthere

Great find Reid. Glad you shared, but gotta be envious of you.....and the lift..... :) :)

Can just see my firewood on pallets and stored in racks like that for a couple years before burning.....clean, dry, protected,.....  ahh would be nice.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

bibbyman could set you up with some, beenthere. 

All you need is some acetylene, oxygen, a torch, a crane, a trailer, lots of time, some help and a yearning for a long road trip.  :D :D :D

Oh!!   and some money.

Captain

Reid's got himself a bunch more rusty iron to put more cool wood on  :)

Congrats, Reid.  Quite a score. 

Captain

scsmith42

Reid, you are THE MAN!  I'm jealous about how you keep finding these cool items.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ironwood

Bibby, and all

The 84 that closed near you doesn't surprise me. I have done some work for the owners (great family) and Maggie Hardy is quite aggressive in her business dealings, they have a very aggressive growth strategy for the next few years. They have closed alot of relatively "unprofitable" stores with tons of new ones scheduled in the coming years. The property probably already has a new owner.

Thanks for your comments, I usually don't like to gloat but I was quite proud of my "accomplishment". I say accomplishment because these racks dominated the landscape, as you exited a highway I was always struck by how these things stood there, they really caught your eye. After all my work there is NOTHING left. I did ALL the demo myself with torches and my 8000 lb forklift. I had planned for months how to lower thse things down, in the end I just "dominoed" them down leaning them into the waiting forklift forks (tenious, the forks only went 12' and the extra 11 feet with heavy truss sticking out above). I did have to chain the bases to the previous still bolted structure. I made sure no one was around in case something went wrong. In the end it all went really well. After numerous 12-16 hour days (it was 40 minutes from home) I have all 80-90,000lbs home. My rule was to never come home with out a load on my trailer, so every day I brought something home. The only thing I hired out was mobilizing my forklift, it is just too heavy and risky to chance an accident with a 12,000lb very top heavy load like that. In the end it only cost $90 each way, a very reasonable cost I think. One ticket for no CDL starts at $500 and the route was nearly all Turnpike.

My plan is reassembly in the spring creating two rows about 40' apart and eventual connection of the two as a breezeway to store the forklifts in the middle. If I have a premature demise I will tell my wife to list them here for sale ;D

The forklift was saved from the scrap yard at the last minute. I had seen it sitting for years and finally asked about it the week it was due to picked up for scrap, nothing like good timing. 23,000 lb save!!!

DID I MENTION I WAS TIRED!!

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

thecfarm

Don't blame you for gloating one bit.Those rack will come in handy.Good for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Coon

The steel would come in very useful for other projects also if your plans were to change.  At the price of steel today I see that you got a real bargain at whatever it cost you in the end. 

Have you figured out how much that steel were to cost you had you bought it new?  Bet it's in the 10's of thousands.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Ironwood

Well, used racking market there is about $15,000 there, not including the other heavy I beams and outdoor pallet racking I got and all the roofing. Reid

mike_van

Nice rack Reid  8)   Thats something on my list for the 6-7 cord of firewood I put up for here. Not so tall though, the local zoners would have a cow if those sprang from the ground  :D  I probably couldn't convince them it was "art" or "sculpture" or some of that stuff the wealthy people have  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

logwalker

Reid, You really need to seek professional help. And I don't mean for reassembling your racks. If you want I can give you the name of my therapist.  ::)
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Ironwood

Some "finds" are, well, contentious at home. This/ these racks and the forklift were a no brainer. We also picked up much (tons, literally) of true wrought iron this year, it is known as the "Iron Bank" between my wife and I. We are marketing to high end blacksmiths. Yes, rusty iron, I love it!

Reid

logwalker

Reid, what is the differance between regular and true wrought iron. I always wanted to know what is meant by "wrought". I always thought it had something to do with working the iron. LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Ironwood

to keep it short, and I am no expert, lack of carbon! It corrodes little for even centuries. It is expensive to make. Last manufactured in Sweden in 1965, in the US earlier, probably in the 40's or 50's. Now only available thru "repuddling" from a European source. It is about $5-7 a pound plus shipping. They are melting old wrought bridge, fence and any sources available. It come in four refinements, 1-2-3-4. Old wagon rims are #1 refinement and very hard to work, the "grain" is rough. As you move up the continueum the grain gets finer and the workability better. Good wrought is fairly fine in texture and even though may have slag inclusions it works at a higher temp for forging than mild steel. The iron I have has no welds on the fence panels, possibly for very early in the is century. It is mechanically peened in place making disassembly much easier. Try this site for a good education.

http://www.realwroughtiron.com/wiac.htm

Reid, yours in wood and iron!

Thank You Sponsors!