iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Hickory logs in NY or PA

Started by RacinRex, November 15, 2006, 12:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacinRex

I haven't  posted in a long long time. I miss this place but don't get to frequent it since I'm working on the house and don't have internet yet at home.

I'm wondering if anyone in NY on the forum here knows someone I can get Hickory logs from. My wife wants desperately to have a Hickory Kitchen. Please email me any private info @ j i m . w i c k h a m @ p a x a r . c o m, otherwise feel free to respond to this post with General Conversation ( should be checking the page frequently the rest of the week :-) )

edited to avoid the spam bots... adde spaces to email.. just slap it back together and it will work
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

Hbarker

hope ya find some,, we here in east texas have lots of  Hickory trees,, love to cook with the scrapps,, noticed at a BBQ restraunt in montana said "cooked with imported hickory wood fromo texas">.... ive since wondered how far north the hickory grows,,

RacinRex

Lots here, especially shaggybark.  Problem is its thrown away as skragg wood for pallets and used as firewood... I've got 200 acres and theres very few on my property maybe the neighbor wants to get rid of some :-)
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill

Nora

No natural hickory here in Montana to my knowledge! However, the city of Missoula has about every kind of tree brought in that can take a really hard freeze. Of all the trees we can see from our house, only one is native to the area! There was a producing citrus tree in town, but it was in a green house!

Makes the "Texas" hickory more exotic. Where was the restaurant?

Ron Wenrich

While you guys were pondering what to do with your hickory and burning it up for firewood, we've been selling it for veneer and 4/4 lumber.  The demand is even stronger than red oak, but the price isn't quite there yet.

I can't help you out with the logs, though.  We aren't in a prime hickory area.  Mostly mockernut and pignut.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

RacinRex

I've spoken to 3 foresters locally in as many days and everyone says the same thing. "I can't sell a hickory log to anyone but a skragg mill" Grrrr. Oh well the hunt continues, my father and I will be tooling about the woods chasing whitetails for the next couple of weeks, I'll see if I can't find a few trees on our property to fit the bill
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill

Ron Wenrich

So, how big is your hickory?  Sounds like its either pretty small stuff, or it is pretty poor quality.  Of course, you could buy a load of those scragg logs, get your lumber, and still have firewood to burn.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

moosehunter

I had a guy call me and ask if I wanted  a 12"dbh hickory tree. He was making a road through the woods and had a professional logger cut the trees. The rest of the trees were to small for saw logs.
Sure I want a Hickory log! He say's he'll call when it is down and he will load it in my truck for me. Cool!

A month goes by, I don't hear from him so I drove to his place and asked about the tree.
" The logger said NOBODY can or wants to saw a Hickory" so they burried it with the other trees!!! :o

I guess I am not smart enough to know that I can not saw a Hickory log! :D
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

RacinRex

Yeah... thats the way it seems to be around here.

How have you been Mike? How's sawing? Been by your garage quite a few times making trips to Ithaca for supplies for the house and often think about stopping in.
Have not heard from or seen you around. Hopefully we get some snow this year and I can justify joining the snowmobile club. Didn't ride much at all last year.

Hope to see you around and hopin for some snow.
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill

Brad_S.

I get hickory by the truck load from a logger in Canandaiqua to be sawn into flooring blanks for their flooring mill in Waterloo. I don't know if they head out your way but you can give them a call. I'll PM you the number. Also, I have some in my woods, if you're planning on being up this way, I can drop a few.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

RacinRex

Let me see what my dad and I run across in the woods chasing those silly whitetails this coming week.

Thank you kindly for the offer and who knows I may verywell take you up on it if I can't find anything.
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill

Thank You Sponsors!