iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Here's my "JP Clutch"... an LT40 Five Minute- 50 cent fix for your Machine!...

Started by jpgreen, November 14, 2006, 12:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

Here's my "JP Clutch"... an LT40 Five Minute- 50 cent fix for your machine... 8)

It's simply a 1978 Chevy truck hood spring.  Any 73-79 will work, and probably 80-86. Also a 1/4-20 x 2"-3" eye bolt.

I came up with this fix at the first of the year when I bought my 95 Woodmizer LT-40, and I realized how hard it was to operate the engage lever.  Then I learned folks were having shoulder problems with this so I posted pics on it, but removed them until I totally had some hours use on it.

It works just like I knew it would... almost effortless engagement, and disengagement, with no problems whatsoever.

I sent this info to a few guys here on the forum, and after they added the mod, some of the comments were... "Why did I wait so long to do something like this".

Here's the spring in place. One end simply hangs from the eye bolt and the other fits under the housing shown.

Measure 4 3/4" in from the right side of the orange shelf that the black tank saddle sits on. The measure in from the angle edge of that shelf  about 3 1/2".  That and puts the bolt darn near right up against the black tank saddle as shown. This top view is looking from the pulley on the engine, down over to the right, on the inside of the black tank saddle. 

Drill a 1/4" hole. Install the eye bolt with the eye down, and use a lock washer and nut on each side so you can adjust it up and down, and lock it into place.

Before you tighten the bolt down, be sure to hang the spring with it in place as you thread it together, then start with a light tension on the spring.  You'll find the spot where it simply takes the load weight off of the engine plate and the engage arm, but does not effect the belt tension when engaged.

May have to re-adjust your brake strap a little.

Might have to replace the "JP Clutch" about every 40,000 hours..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Tom

That's  a good idea, jpgreen.  Taking the  weight off of shoulders should help all operators with shoulder problems. 

It's good to keep in mind, though, that many of these joint problems haven't much to do with weight as much as they do with repetition.  Just the act of moving the same way over and over for days and years on end will destroy the cartilage and bone in the joint.  The heck of it is that the damage is already done when you find that you've been abusing it. :)

jpgreen

woodbowl

Well JP, I wasn't going to post mine, but I see you have found the middle ground in the adjustment to keep the brake strap operative.

My brake strap still coasts a bit, but I just throw the lever up a grunt more and it stops the blade. I should put an eye bolt on it like yours so it can be fine tuned, but I was in a hurry so I robbed a spring off the kids trampoline, got some hay wire and slapped it on real quick.  ::)

It saves a lot of work in throwing the lever all day, but I'm worried about the repitition too.

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DR_Buck

I solved my problem with the clutch lever also.   I took a different (not as cheap) approach. 

I ordered and installed the auto clutch mod!   :)  ;D ;D ;D

Do you think the repitition of the finger flipping the switch will be a problem?   :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Brucer

I installed the Autoclutch in early September, just before heading out to cut for a new customer. I sawed a few thousand BF of WRC siding for him, plus some 2" and a few timbers. That siding gave the left thumb a bit of a workout -- it was actually feeling pretty stiff after a couple of days. Then I figured out I should change the position of my hand on the control panel from time to time -- made all the difference.

I only waved my right arm in the air 3 or 4 times before I got used to the switch ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

jpgreen

Thank You Sponsors!