iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is 1" axle big enuf for homemade band mill ?

Started by chainsaw_louie, November 12, 2006, 05:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainsaw_louie

Hi,

I found a 1" steel axle with a keyway in it - it came from a go-kart.  Do you guys think this is strong enough for a 13hp bandsaw mill?

Thanks!

Tim

willknot

Hi Tim, 1" is definately border line i would think and alot depends on how you plan on mounting the bearings. You can probably get away with it if you mount a bearing on either side of your bandwheel giving the shaft maximum support rather than 2 bearings on one side. I have seen 1" used on homemade mills but not sure whether any of the manufactures use them on their smaller models. Price is definately right and 1" pillow blocks are reasonable also. I used 1 7/16 shaft on mine only because both bearings are one the same side and I got a smokin deal on them! I'm sure you will get mixed opinions on this and you just got mine. :D. Good luck!

Will

mike_van

Tim, i used 1", they've been 15+ years now. What helps is next to no extra space on the axle between bearings.  On the drive side, the sheave is right up against the back of the housing, no overhung load.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

hookhill

We used 1" shaft on a Rake style saw and it has done fine. Have sawn 15,000 feet so far with it. Like the other folks mentioned, you dont want to much space between the bearing and your wheel.

Modat22

If you use a 1 inch axle support it really close to the connected load. Also those gocart axles aren't real hard.

I used a car axle from a junk rearend and supported it to within 1 inch of the load. I still visually inspect it each time I run it.
remember man that thy are dust.

jrokusek

I did it too but haven't had much time to play with the mill yet.  So far so good.  If you run your mill all day every day it may not last long - if you "tinker" like me and don't cut often it may last. 

I got some 1.25" shafting cheap and matching pillow blocks in case I get a wild hair and go bigger...which I probably will do.  Play safe!

D._Frederick

A number of guy's here have had small diameter shafts break on their home made mills. For safety sake, I would like a shaft no smaller than 1 1/2 inches diameter if you are using cold roll. The other problem is that for a 1 inch shaft the bearings won't take the load.

chainsaw_louie

Thanks fellas.  The comment about the hardness of go-cart axles does concern me, a pick up truck axle may be a better choice, it would have the hub already mounted on one end.  Also the issue of mounting the hub on the end if its not a standard size might take some machining which I dont really have access to.

Do you need to have a machinist turn down a pu truck axle in order to fit it in pillow blocks or are they machined to a standard size (1.5" etc) already.

Tim

Larry

D has a good point about bearing failure.  Kasco went from 1 1/2" axles to 2" for that very reason.  As a side note they turn the axle down to maybe 1 1/4" where the wheel fits on...can't remember the exact size.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Modat22

the car axle I used had to be turned down at the bearing journal 10 thousandths to fit my flange bearing 1-3/8" I think. Cost to have it machined was like 20 bucks.
remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!