iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A View from Above

Started by Ianab, November 12, 2006, 02:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

This picture made todays local newspaper.
It's from an exhibit at the Smithsonian, but shows my home province here in NZ

The full zoomable image is online at
http://www.earthfromspace.si.edu/online_exhibition

I live just to the west EAST of the Mt in a town called Stratford, about 3:30 on the clock, but work in New Plymouth, to the North (12 Oclock)

The photo was apparantly taken mid winter in 1989, thats about as low down as the snow gets in winter.

Anyone else got any good pics of home?

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

logwalker

Can you tell us what causes the almost perfect circle around the mountain? LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Fla._Deadheader

I just downloaded Google Earth, and our area is under heavy cloud cover, as usual.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

There are some satellite images of New Brunswick that shows the flow of ice sheets that flowed and you can see the resulting landforms, lakes, drumlins, eskers, kettles, kames, drumlins. The images are 70 megs compressed and no way I can retrieve them off a dialup connection.  ::)

Here is a link, but it will probably ask you to setup a free account.

LandSAT link
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Quote from: logwalker on November 12, 2006, 04:16:38 PM
Can you tell us what causes the almost perfect circle around the mountain? LW

The circle around the Mt is the border of the National park. It was originally laid out by drawing a circle 5.7miles radius around the summit. The rest of the land has been cleared as farmland (mostly dairy cattle) but the original circle is untouched forest.

I just downloaded Google Earth, and our area is under heavy cloud cover, as usual. 

Thats what we usually get too   :D Thats one thing that made the picture so unique, I think there is one or 2 little clouds down south in that pic, but thats all. Pretty unusual especially with the snow on the ground like that.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Is Google Earth ever updated, so there may not be clouds at some time ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Paschale

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on November 12, 2006, 04:21:23 PM

I just downloaded Google Earth, and our area is under heavy cloud cover, as usual.  ::) ::)

I didn't know you had moved to Grand Rapids, FDH!  When can Furby and I come and visit?   :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

logwalker

One more question please. What are the two large protuberances below the peak in the picture? And how tall is the Mtn? LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Ianab

Quote from: logwalker on November 14, 2006, 11:28:33 AM
One more question please. What are the two large protuberances below the peak in the picture? And how tall is the Mtn? LW

The two little dome shaped hills at 6 oclock?
They are.... ummm, little dome shaped hills.  :D

I believe they were formed by landslides with large lumps of lava during eruptions, but thats only from memory. The Mt is about 8,000 ft high, but look very impressive as it is isolated with sea on 3 sides. Also make a very good rain catcher  ::)

Ian

Furby

Stupid question that has been bugging me.........
Am I the only one with an upside down pic, or are your clocks backwards, down there ??? ??? ???

Tom

In the red circle is a
flat topped rock that
must be a couple of
hundred feet tall if the
volcano is 8000 ft. tall.
Is it of any significance?

ohsoloco

I was thinking the same thing, Furby.  Those hills look to be at 11 o'clock to me  :-\

Furby

This was my first tip off, then the hills post.
QuoteI live just to the west of the Mt in a town called Stratford, about 3:30 on the clock, but work in New Plymouth, to the North (12 Oclock)

Maybe their clocks are backwards down there, never really thought about it before.

Tom

Maybe we are looking at it from underneath. :P :-\ :D

Furby

Thought of that, but if N is 12 o'clock, the only way W could be by 3:30 is if you reversed either the compass OR the clock.

beenthere

I think I'm with Furby and wonderin too......

But is N at 12 o'clock..... ???

Maybe it's a colored negative.. ::) ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Doh.. I just noticed the typo  :D

The Mt is WEST of Stratford  ::)

The big hills at 11:00 oclock are 2 older volcanic cones that have been eroded away over the years, still 4,000 and 2,000 ft high though.

Tom, the hill you have spotted is called German hill, it's just a big round grassy hill, a couple of hundred ft high. There is probably a story associated with it, but I dont know what it is  :D

Ian  :)

This is the ground level view from near my house  :)

beenthere

Wow. That helps a bunch.  Thanks  :) :)

That's gotta be the first typo anyone has made on the FF   ;D

Beautiful scenic view, bar none.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

You must live right out on that point, Ianab.  Between the volcano and the ocean must be the high rent district.  You have views everywhere.

Ianab

I'm on the inland side of the Mt, 1/2 an hour to the beach, but that can be in 3 directions  ;)

This is the view from out at the Cape, it's actually pretty rough and windswept out there, prevailing wind is off the sea, and if you look out and miss Tasmania the next land is South Africa. Does make it one of the best windsurfing spots in the world though.

This pic is from anouther 30 miles out, from the days when I was fixing computers for the oilfield company.

The pic is taken from the floating production station, a converted supertanker that was anchored out there. Nice place to visit, bad place to be stuck when the weather gets too rough for the chopper to lift you off  :-\

Ian

SwampDonkey

It might not be so bad with satellite imagery. But, in some jurisdictions that take aerial photography I've found that the bottom edge could be east, north, or west or more appropriately south. The bottom edge is where they right the info on the photo for scale, photo number, map sheet, date flown..etc.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

QuoteNice place to visit, bad place to be stuck when the weather gets too rough for the chopper to lift you off

Yeah, but some of you folks down under live by the seat of your pants anyway. I've been in bush planes and choppers on the BC coast in bad weather, and guess who the dare devils are.  ::)

:D :D

Thank You Sponsors!