Sponsors:

Traditional foods

Started by scgargoyle, November 11, 2006, 04:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

Lamb chops
Rack of Lamb
Lamb Stew

The fact I unloaded them with a Joy of Cooking open might have caused concern...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Paschale

Quote from: Patty on November 14, 2006, 01:25:09 PM
:D :D :D  Good one Paul!

Oso, you can do that same recipe with black walnuts too, for something different. I had a customer who used to always order black walnut pie. Your hickory pie looks delicious!

I'll ditto both of those comments!   :D :D :D

Hicory Nut or Walnut Pie!  Wow...they both sound fantastic!  Now I'm wondering where I can track down some hicory nuts...   ???

Is it basically the same recipe as the pecan pie, except with pecans?  I'm with you ohsoloco...learned from my mom, and started with baking...there are a lot of pictures of me helping her make chocolate cookies and the like from a little tike on. 

Still can't beat her apple pie, the best in the country.  And there's no touching her cherry pie!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

SwampDonkey

I'm not a fudge fan, but father used to make it and we had to crack butternuts for it. Now that is a chore in itself. Father can't eat it now because of diabetis. Never tried black walnuts, although I did pick some this fall to give away. I will say that I like pecans better than cooking walnuts, not as bitter. Friends from the south used to bring sackfuls of them when coming to hunt with grandfather, peanuts to. Two or three of those old timers had their own plantations.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scgargoyle

I used to make my own beer and wine, too. One of the best I made was Strawberry. I like my wine dry, so I fermented it all the way out- yuck! But a little sugar (just a little) brings the berry flavor out. I watched Food Network the other day, and they did a traditional New England clambake. We used to do those- dig a pit, line it w/ rocks, build a big fire, let it burn down, then layer everything w/ fresh seaweed. We used to bury the whole thing in seaweed and sand, and let it steam for a couple hours. Ingredients included lobster, clams, mussels, keilbasa, taters, corn, and sometimes pre-cooked chicken.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scgargoyle

Actually, I really like calamari, depending on how it's prepared. I like it breaded and fried, or in sauce w/ pasta.

Patty

Paschale,

I don't know what others do, but I just used the pecan pie recipe. I am pretty much self taught, when it comes to cooking and baking. Mom would cook some, I mean she had to with 5 kids  :o     but it was not something she particularly enjoyed I don't think. I was a cook at my restaurant when a customer requested a walnut pie. When he asked I said "sure!" and then I ran to find a cookbook.  :P   to tell me how. I could not find they recipe, so I punted.  ::)    It must have worked because he ordered them often after that.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

I've never looked for it in supermarkets here, but on the Queen Charlotte Islands in BC was the first and only place I've eaten it. It tasted fine, but was a little weird. My family would never eat such a thing.  :D I was trying to access the DFO website for the Pacific coast to look up that Mollusk the natives used to fish on the Charlottes. The shells had what looked to be air holes on the top of the shell and it looked like mother a perl on the inside of the shell. I think the shellfish is protected now. I might have some shells someplace in my loot.

scgargoyle

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 14, 2006, 06:24:46 PM
I've never looked for it in supermarkets here, but on the Queen Charlotte Islands in BC was the first and only place I've eaten it. It tasted fine, but was a little weird. My family would never eat such a thing.  :D I was trying to access the DFO website for the Pacific coast to look up that Mollusk the natives used to fish on the Charlottes. The shells had what looked to be air holes on the top of the shell and it looked like mother a perl on the inside of the shell. I think the shellfish is protected now. I might have some shells someplace in my loot.
I think you mean abalone? Favorite food of seals.

Ianab

Sounds like Abalone, the local species here is called paua. Although it doens't look very appetising it does taste good, and the irridescent shells are used for jewellery and decoration. Some people are even growing pearls in farmed paua now. Double bonus, you can eat the paua AND wear the jewellery :)

http://www.bluepearls.com/

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

isawlogs

Doughnuts ...  We Mom , would bake them and while they where hot , would dip them in hot maple sirup ...  Ya just could not bake enough of those . Just thinking of them I can gain a pound or two .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ohsoloco

Fresh doughnuts in maple syrup, now you're talking Marcel  8)

Patty, I can only Imagine that a black walnut pie would be...intense  :D  My grandmother had a black walnut tree at her house and she would gather them up every year.  Sometime in the winter or spring we would be surprised by a white cake with black walnuts in it.  Very tasty.  I also use a pecan pie recipie for my hickory nut pie. 

Today while I was making a PBJ sammich I noticed that I'm almost done with my last jar of homemade black raspberry preserves  :(  It's so great to be able to open a cupboard and pull out a jar of something you made yourself. 

sawguy21

Quote from: Paul_H on November 14, 2006, 12:45:37 PM
Yer Sheep nervous Fred? :P
Where men are men and sheep are scared :D :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

asy

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 15, 2006, 12:00:54 AM
Where men are men and sheep are scared :D :D :D :D

How did we get to be talking about New Zealand?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Roxie

That reminds me.......has anyone heard from Ian lately?   :)
Say when

SwampDonkey

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 14, 2006, 06:24:46 PM
I've never looked for it in supermarkets here, but on the Queen Charlotte Islands in BC was the first and only place I've eaten it. It tasted fine, but was a little weird. My family would never eat such a thing.
kalamari? Well, I guess I gotta eat my words.  ::) Mom said they had some monday night. The neighbors are from Newfoundland, and some of their family brought some over and gave the folks some. So, I guess they ate it. I never thought my mother would ever eat such a thing. Dad wouldn't say nothing as long as he didn't have to cook it. :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!