iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my new D&L Swingblade up and running!

Started by gcgrant, November 10, 2006, 03:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcgrant

Thanks to the people at D&L, they do a good job and have a good product.
I brought the mill home on a rack I made for my pickup, everything went well,used the included wheels to roll the carriage off the pickup and onto the track.  They are making the track out of steel, rather than the aluminum extrusions that I saw demonstrated.  I was concerned that the aluminum would be too easy to damage, the steel is heavier, but will stand up to a lot more.  I will be cutting some good size Ponderosas, up around 36"D. I am loading them onto the bunks with a John Deere Crawler with chains on the end of the blade. I was amazed at how easy it was to pick up and position the logs with the 6 way hydraulic blade.  One does have to be careful carrying a 40+ ft log, as you swing the crawler aroung those ends of the log move at a good rate!
So far I've been cutting some of the "denim pine into 2X4s, 2X6s, 6X6s, and some 1/4X6s. just because I can!  Oh yeh, there's a few rather strange dimensions (read screw ups)as we round that learing curve!!.  Most of all I'm loving it!!!!
........George

thecfarm

Congrats and the sawmill and welcome to the forum.Looked in your photo gallery for a big picture,but did not find one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Onthesauk

Welcome gcgrant!

Not too wet to be running the new saw?  Any flood damage from that last storm that went through?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Welcome, mcgrant!

How long can you cut?

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Coon

Congrats on the new mill.  I go out to Golden usually every 4 or 5 years which I am due again.  Got a family reunion there coming up in the spring that I hope to be going for (if I can gather up the money).  Kamloops is only 3 or 4 hours drive from Golden isn't it?

Brad.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

gcgrant

Quote from: thecfarm on November 10, 2006, 04:46:51 AM
Congrats and the sawmill and welcome to the forum.Looked in your photo gallery for a big picture,but did not find one.

I tried to post a couple of pics......so far I'm better at sawing lumber!  Will get it right next time
George

gcgrant

Quote from: Phil L. on November 10, 2006, 08:27:21 PM
Welcome, mcgrant!

How long can you cut?

Phil L.
Thanks Phil, I should be able to cut about 22ft easily with the tracks that came with the saw, of course you could add on any length to the track you wanted.
George

gcgrant

Quote from: Onthesauk on November 10, 2006, 11:24:52 AM
Welcome gcgrant!

Not too wet to be running the new saw?  Any flood damage from that last storm that went through?
Thanks for the congrats.  We are located near Kamloops in the Interior of BC, of course it only sunshines here!  Actually the steady rain today did keep me away from the mill. But we usually are pretty dry and don't have flooding problems.  I'm about 100' above river level so we'll be OK

George

gcgrant

Quote from: Coon on November 10, 2006, 09:15:24 PM
Congrats on the new mill.  I go out to Golden usually every 4 or 5 years which I am due again.  Got a family reunion there coming up in the spring that I hope to be going for (if I can gather up the money).  Kamloops is only 3 or 4 hours drive from Golden isn't it?

Brad.

Thanks for the congrats Brad.  Yes I think Golden is about 3-4 hrs out of Kamloops.  They are improving the highway between Revelstoke and Golden so it might be a little less.  Haven't been out that way for a couple of years.
George

CDN-woodchuck

good day from the rainy left coast,

I p/u my swing-mill at the end of Sept., sure would like to see a pic of the rack that you have for your truck,

I am having difficulties coming up with a solution to be a 'portable player', I bought a '93 silverado with a std box, and after getting racks made for tieing down the mill, I am still encountering difficulties with getting it on/off the truck without a tall lifting device,  any suggestions that you have would be greatly appreciated,

thks
Matt

4woody

GlennG

Pictures , Pictures Pictures!!!!  Where are the PICTURES??????

Glenn

gcgrant

Quote from: CDN-woodchuck on November 14, 2006, 03:44:06 PM
good day from the rainy left coast,

I p/u my swing-mill at the end of Sept., sure would like to see a pic of the rack that you have for your truck,

I am having difficulties coming up with a solution to be a 'portable player', I bought a '93 silverado with a std box, and after getting racks made for tieing down the mill, I am still encountering difficulties with getting it on/off the truck without a tall lifting device,  any suggestions that you have would be greatly appreciated,

thks
Matt
Hi Matt,  Check out my picture album on the site,  there's one picture of us unloading with the supplied set of wheels.  I think that if I was going to be moving the mill regularly I would probably get a lower trailer.  My truck is a 350 4X4....... so is a little tall.  I made the rear part of the rack to fit into the back stake holes and is independant of the front rack, which I made with a 32 inch extension over the cab. With the back rack off I slide the carriage into the box and then put the back rack on and put the rails up.  A little bit of a struggle with one guy. I'm getting a little too old for that!  If I do move it with my pickup more, I will make up something so that I'm not having to drag the carriage wheels sideways down the truck deck. Maybe just a couple of timbers under the frame to keep the wheels slightly off the deck.  I suppose a person could make up set of casters like what you can get for table saws etc. to make it easier to roll the carriage into the truck, and then retract them so that things aren't rolling around.  This coming up weekend, when I'm home in the daylight I'll take a couple of more detailed pictures of the rack.  It really is pretty simple. Oh yah, when I slid the carriage back off the truck, I had to put a plank across the top of the box at the back,to support the mill so that I could get the wheels attached. Once the wheels are on then I rolled the saw to the wheel end, so they were taking most of the weight.  I haven't actually put the carriage back on the truck by hand.  Byrian used their forklift at D&L to load it.  But I think it shouldn't be much harder than unloading it.
George

gcgrant

Quote from: GlennG on November 14, 2006, 11:00:26 PM
Pictures , Pictures Pictures!!!!  Where are the PICTURES??????

Glenn
Hi Glenn........ check out my picture album, I've been able to upload a few on there.
George

CDN-woodchuck

ya, and be careful that you don't drag the roller wheels thru the sawdust bed, I had to clean out the grooves after getting it back on the rails,

matt

Thank You Sponsors!