iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold, aint it?

Started by Texas Ranger, January 24, 2003, 07:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Just signed on and saw there were twelve of us on line, most in three states sitting in that -30 degree stuff in Iowa, Missouri and Michigan.  Not that I blame y'all for it, cause I am down here in the "sunny south" in 20 degrees and cannot get close enough to the heater.  

Old bones and thin blood do not appreciate winter like they used to.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Too cold, Don.

I'm sitting here in 27 degrees, in front of the heater outlet, looking out the window at the ice in front yard from the faucet I left on last night.  It sure makes feel lucky that I don't have to contend with that stuff that Noble and Charlie are in.  Oh!  ....and I'll say a little prayer for Kevin.   The news said that the low that is causing all of this is situated right on top of him.  :)

Weekend_Sawyer

21 deg here in Maryland the wind chill keeps taking it down near 0.

Every morning it has been in the teans cars are starting slow. The average car does not have a block heater. I hung a drop lamp next to the hydraulics on the skid steer for a few hours before starting it up. When it is this cold it moves
R E A L   S L O W,  kind of like me. And I aint that old.

I came home yesterday and my very humble abode was stone cold, furnace had quit. It's hard to take the thing apart when you are cold, but I finally found the nozzle (fule oil furnace) was plugged. Lucky me I keep a spare! Had it running in 15 minutes.

A buddy of mine said he is going to tie a snow shovel to the hood of his car and drive south until someone asks what the heck that thing is. I told him to brush up on his spanish! :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Bibbyman

I went out yesterday afternoon to clean the snow and ice off the black Buick Roadmaster.  The sun had melted it off the south side.  I got in it to start it and heard a loud CHRUCH.  It was the row of icicles busting that had formed all along the bottom.

Don't go sticking your tongue to the iron rim on the wagon wheel! (or the flag pole, or the pump handle, etc.) :-X
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

Temps for the last two days have been in the single digits dipping into the minus at night (F).  We always get at least a few days of this nonsense before we start the gradual warmup.
The crawler just would not fire up yesterday and I won't even try it this afternoon.  Good day to work on my taxes ::) and other fun indoor stuff :(
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

Is this global warming? ???

Bibbyman

Have any of you seen the animated movie "Ice Age"?  

I know it's for kids but I about busted a gut watching it - even the second time. :D  I like the saber-toothed squirrel that keeps trying to bury an acorn in the ice.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

We were on the last four cows this morning and I was dreaming of my recliner and a hot cup of coffee when there was a change in the noise and the milkers began falling off.

We bought our vacuum pump second hand over 20 years ago.  It has faithfully sanitized the lines, milked the cows, and cleaned the lines every morning and night since that time.  This morning the motor decided to retire without giving notice.  Didn't have anything to do with the cold and had it replaced by 11 AM but I like-to-a froze.

Son told me it's supposed to be warmer this afternoon.  I told him maybe I would feed the cows some hay if it warms up enough but don't even think about me sawing.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Weekend_Sawyer

Bib,
I bought a copy of "Ice Age" love it. Took it over to some friends house for Dinner and A Movie, all adults, and they loved it.

Next weekend I am taking over Escanaba In Da Moonlight. I ordered the pasties to be delivered next friday 8) 8) 8)

nuttin but fun.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Noble_Ma

We've been in the minus numbers for weeks now.  The wind chill is about -15 or so.  It was so cold I saw a dog stuck to a hydrant :D  And another on a tree ;D

Tagerts_crossing

Hey, guys its cold here in Indiana as it is everywhere( below 0 most nights now).  My comment may not realy fit here, but does in a round about way.  Will this cold do the trick on them super charged mosquitos with the west nile virus?  Being out side most of every day, as most of you are it is a concern.  I have not herd one thing about it after last summer.  They say that the lack of cold winters has helped build the mosquito numbers.  I have two small kids and another on the way, hate to keep them couped up inside all summer.   John
John Schoolcraft

Tom

The cold slows up the adult population of mosquito and dry weather stops the hatching of eggs but the cold just puts the eggs in suspended animation.  Cold weather is a respite, to keep the egg laying down requires dry weather, no puddles and no artificial containers that will hold water around the house.  Look for old tires, pots, pans, dishes, bird baths or anything that will hold water.   Fish eat mosquito larvae so a fish pond is ok if the fish can get to them.

Believe it or not, the prettiest mosquito I've ever seen is a wee little fellow that breeds in the water that is held in the bottom of the leaves of bromiliads.

Fla._Deadheader

17 in Orlando, which is just north west of here. First time I quit working in the middle of the day and went inside, since I moved to Fl. in '86. Wind chill was near 0.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

L. Wakefield

Our DanG wind chills have been -34. T'ain't funny, McGee! lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

I was going to start a thread called "To cold for the Beech" but this will do.

I was supposed to saw out about 10,000 feet of beech the first of the week. Nice big logs. They were out in the log yard unprotected from the wind. been below zero all week. Froze solid. First time I could NOT make my saw run right. I absolutely could not get it to saw without leading big time. Boss says, well I know earl can saw them on the other mill. I said "fine" take em down there.

Later that day I noticed Earls debarker guy came up and loads up a saw to take down to the west mill that had just came back from the shop. At quitting Time the boss came in and said Earl couldn't saw them either. Tried 3 saws.

Life's a beech when its cold eh?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

The underground water mains are popping all over town.
Good skidding weather.

Frank_Pender

Hang on folks.  We are sending you some more moisture from out West.   It  was 54 here today.  We did not see the Sun, but just a bit of drizzzzzle most of the day.  Suppose to be the same for the next few days.    I sure wish for a warm front to hit very soon for ya all.  
Frank Pender

carhartted

It has been hovering around -20 most of the week.  It warmed up to -8 now, but this is a heat wave for Fairbanks.  The last few years it hasn't been really cold.  50 below and colder was not uncommon just four years ago, but now if it hits -40 for more than a few days I am suprised.

-8 and loving it.

Jonathan
Here's to making sawdust.

ADfields

Well hay carhartted!   I'm down in Palmer. 8)  we got a real heat wave hear!   It's 19 out right now and was melting the driveway at 35 this afternoon. ;)  Kinda slick out now. :-/ ::)   Glad to see others from Alaska on hear!! 8) 8)

Tagerts_crossing
The cold LONG winters hear in Alaska dont slow down the skeeters non at all, we have enouf round hear to fly off with you if you get light on the bug dope!! :o   The good news is now you can just about rid your yard of them with a new fangeled thing that runs on LP gas out in your yard.   It cousts about a grand to buy it and a tank or so of gas a week but IT WORKS!!   Got mine from my gas place but Home Depot and Lowes had them here last summer till thay sold out but that wernt long.   It puts out stuff that makes the sketer think it's a free lunch and traps the boogers, onley gets the females but in a week or so we had very few at all around the house and in Alaska thats somthing to brag about!!
Andy

Ron Wenrich

Jeff

For sawing frozen wood, you need to have good shanks.  I usually try to replace them once a year.  I also take lead off of the saw, if necessary.  The nice thing about being a handfiler, I can do that when I'm sharpening up.  You also have to slow down the feed.

I haven't had a lick of trouble with frozen wood.  I've been sawing tulip poplar, red oak, white oak, birch and hickory.  Saws just as good as unfrozen.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Eggsander

Andy, you mean that thing actually works??!! I heard a lot about 'em but I thought that was a scam for sure. I think I can get the neighbor to split one with me if the thing actually works. Our places overlook a mosquito proving grounds (ie. slough) and it gets pretty nasty sometimes.
Steve

Jeff

Ron,

I have new shanks. Brand New. So does Earl. We were both sawing Mixed hardwoods end of last week first of this week. I don't have any trouble in thefrozen oaks, red or white or even hard maple. It was just this pile of big relatively clear beech that is the problem. Dunno. Easier to wait till Spring to saw em then beat our brains out trying to figure out how to do it now.

After the beech troubles Boss came to me Tuesday as I got out of the cab to come home and saide we need 120,000 ft of aspen, all to be shipped by this coming monday morning. The guys and I worked from well before daylight to well after dark and finished it Friday at noon. I can Ram frozen wood through too. ;D

whitepe

Jeff,
120,000 feet of aspen? By my figuring that's
only two loads on the Billsby Lumber big rig.
Have you guys been keeping up on Mark M's
new Norwood acquisition?    8)  Mark's
got yellow blood in him too.  He works for the
CAT dealer (Butler Machinery) in North Dakota.
ND is one of the 8 states left to visit that I haven't
been to. Now I can stop in and see his Norwood mill  ;D
Mark was also born and raised in the Hoosier state as well.
PU-PEW

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Jeff

Nope, its about 4 truck loads. Run at night and around the scales. Not cause were over loaded of course, but to save time. ;D

Actually we are plated for 160,000 so its hard to overload with the aspen. It is easy to misload or overload on a given set of axles. Thats where you run into trouble.

Here is an old picture of a typical load.

Tom

That's not so much!   I could cut that in ......hmmm....... maybe 'bout.......hmmm  a month..  If I was to work hard. :D

Thank You Sponsors!