iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For Citizens of the USA

Started by Tom, November 07, 2006, 05:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solodan

My wife voted first thing this morning,and  I almost forgot and went out to go vote after I had got in from the work day. Then when I got back home my kids were home and my 2 1/2 year old told me she voted at preschool today. There teacher taught them about  democracy today,  and let them all vote on all the activities they would do and snacks they would eat.  :)

CHARLIE

Ever since moving to the midwest, I've lived in small towns. It never has taken me more than about 5 to 10 minutes to vote and that counts parking the truck.  Today, I went to vote about 9:30 a.m. and was behind one other man. There were about 6 booths in the corner with no curtains. I marked the ovals on the paper ballot and fed it into the scanner. I fear that most of who I voted for will not win this round.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bill

Yep - voted just after 5 this afternoon. Easy/quick in and out. Not sure that I like the electronic machines. Saw something on the news that there are some foreign investors behind some of the companies that make and program the machines - not that they did anything wrong - leastways nobody's caught them yet if they did.

Course I never did like marking something legal ( esp a ballot ) with a pencil - too easily changed. Of course being just outside Phila makes you cynical about honesty surviving.

Also saw an interview with a candidate - he was against this and that - so the announcer asked him what his views were - and he just repeated that he's against this and that - till the announcer asked again - what did he stand for - again he ducked the question and the interview ended . So I gathered that his views were that he should be the winner because he wanted it.  Hmmmmm . . .

Raphael

I've always voted with the mechanical voting machines, today was my last time as they'll all be electronic in 2 years.

SWMBO and I voted after she got home from work.
So far she's picked one winner and everyone I voted for has lost.  :D
Actually I'm sorry either candidate for US Rep. won in our district.  ::)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

mike_van

bibbyman - I voted for Joe Lieberman , I felt he's done a good job for us here.  I guess Ned Lamonts $$$$$$ can't buy everything.  One of the things that impressed me most was during the Bubba & Monica soap opera, Joe was the only democrat that called him what he was, disgraceful.  Joe's name was all the way down on the machine, I guess enough of us found it though.  71% of my little town voted.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Norm

Patty and I went out after work and voted, I was number 175 she was 177. It's a very small town a few miles away from us and the poll watcher was a neighbor. The folks running it are real nice and it has a good feel to know that you've done your civic duty. Patty asked if that was a high number and the gentleman running the machine stated it was a high turnout for a midterm election.

Cedarman

We have 418 voters in our precinct.  I was 427.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Burlkraft

We still have to color in the ovals with a felt pen. It works pretty good....at least you can go back and count by hand if ya have to.

I'm sure Jill and I cancelled each other out....... ;D ;D

But we did vote.....so now I can start complainin'... :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Bibbyman

Quote from: Bibbyman on November 07, 2006, 11:20:27 PM
...I've been watching the election returns for our state and it looks like we're in pretty good shape but would have like to see some real conservatives running. 

Well,  I forgot, all the votes of the dead smiley_ghost in St. Louis and KC had not been counted.    Looks like my guy feel a few votes short..

A couple of amendmets I voted against passed too.  >:(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Weekend_Sawyer

Yup, chose to vote, it's how it works here. I don't give anyone a hard time that chooses not to vote unless they complain about the way things are here.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

OneWithWood

Voted my usual split ticket.  I believe in checks and balances.  Everytime a party has control of all branches of government they cease to govern and just dictate.  Better decisions are made when issues are discussed and the various options are laid out.  Given the outcome of this election bipartisan discussions are guaranteed.  It may slow down the process but I would rather go slow and have a better outcome than rush headlong into the abyss.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

I voted too. :)  For once, my vote will actually count, since my Wife chose not to vote. ;D :D  We are political opposites, and almost always disagree.

Most of my guys won.  The 2 referendums(referendi?) that I had any feelings about, both passed. 8) 8)  Ironically, one of them will require a 60% majority to pass a new amendment. It passed, and will become law, but it made it with less than 60%. :D :D

One of the most important political jobs is that of Supervisor of Elections, IMHO.  Shamefully, that post is often relegated to a status somewhere near that of Dogcatcher.  That isn't true in one place, though.  In Leon County, Fl. where Tallahassee is, they have a guy that throws his heart and soul into this usually mundane task, and he has really made a difference.  He has done his homework, and isn't afraid to speak out and bump heads with the big boys.  He was so outspoken about the testing of voting machines, that the Fla. Secretary of State removed him from office.  He was reinstated by the Legislature, with support from the Governor, and that power was taken away from the Sec. of State!  He also won the testing battle. ;D 8) 8)  He was recently called in by another County to evaluate the new machines they were considering.  On his advice, that County chose to go another way.  We need more people like him!

I was tickled to death about Joe Lieberman's victory! 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kevin_H.

Lynette and I bolth voted yesterday, we used the paper ballots with the oval dots and felt markers, seems to work pretty slick, the voting place is our fire dept, we still have the big old metal box that we use to drop the old ballots with the receipt into...we now use it to store the curtins for the voting booths.

I was there to lock up when the judges were done, it was neat to watch them print out the results from scanner, they all printed out on what looked like cash register receipt.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

fstedy

I voted it never takes longer than 10 minutes for me. We always have the latest in voting machines here but I have not had any problems with them. No matter what method is used if they want to cheat they will find a way. It sure would be nice to have an election where the issues were discussed makes me sick all the mud slinging. Sure is a shame we can't get canidates that will stand up and deal with the problems we face. We have a problem with very high property taxes ( mine are $4500 per year for a moderate property ) which they all say they will reduce but on the other hand theirs always bonds  and PORK projects listed on the ballot. You have to pay the Piper sometime. Our Governor just raised our sales tax many didn't like it but he does have some sound finicial planning to get debt down. I didn't like paying but we do need to start somewhere.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Bibbyman

What really chapped my creeks is our local elections were flooded with moneys from national organizations and parties. I just wonder how the election would have turned out if we didn't have all this outside tampering.

About every night we got a couple of phone calls.  Every day our mail doubled with junk from political ads.  Radio was 50% political ads.  Our local TV probably was too but we don't watch them – just the DISH.

I'm not happy with the results but at least it's over .... for now...
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Norwiscutter

News said some guy down south put up $5 million of his own money to win a house seat with a total of around 90,000 votes.   Thats $55 per vote of his own money, not counting the donations he also got.  Big money and big business this politics thing is.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

scgargoyle

I had mixed feelings about voting this year. I voted, but I probably shouldn't have. I heard our area (Tampa Bay- St Pete FL) had the most political ads in the country. Virtually every one of them was childishly negative. I've honestly heard more clever rebuttals from school children on the playground! On the other hand, my 19 y/o son went down and voted for the first time. DanG, I musta got some dust in my eye...
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

mike_van

Ned Lamont spent 7 mil of his own money here in CT. and lost - I know what he spent a lot of it on - calling my house - 4 times a day - Even had Bubba call - That made my day, I got to hang up on Bubba Clinton  :D :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Raphael

Quote from: mike_van on November 08, 2006, 04:21:53 PM
Ned Lamont spent 7 mil of his own money here in CT. and lost -
Sucks to be Ned Lamont...  ;) ;D
Guess he needed a bit more platform than I'm not Joe Lieberman...

QuoteI know what he spent a lot of it on - calling my house - 4 times a day - Even had Bubba call - That made my day, I got to hang up on Bubba Clinton  :D :D

Now you're making me jealous; You got Bubba, Debbie got both Laura and George W. Bush, and all I got was some guy named Clay calling from Torrington.  >:(
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

LedlieLogs

Voted yesterday, my guys did pretty good here in the republic of Georgia.

WAY TO GO REBOCARDO! Take the kids to vote when you can, its great for them even if they don't know it. Had a lady next to me with her two kids. Tried to keep them from bothering me. She let her daughter touch the computer screen for the votes I let her son touch the screen for me. Made his day to get involved. Made my day to teach him a little something by example of voting.
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

thecfarm

The mud slinging really gets me going.A canidate for governor was reported that he had 3 liens on his house for unpaid taxes years ago.He paid them off and all set now.We all can get behind at times,none of us like it,but it does happen.Nobody is perfect.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

limbrat

Some negative ads are personal attacks that serve no good purpose except maybe make you question the person that ran the ad. But most negative ads are more benifical to the voter than positive ads because they bring into question issues and actions.
For example if a canadite is sitting in a garden with his family and talking about his desires to do something about education or healthcare or the trade deficate etc. Well its nice and clean but he is realy just vaguely talking about something that no one would disagree with. If the same canidate claims that his opposition has voted against something and only voted 4%of the time anyway.Well its negative but it brings into play issues and actions that the opposition can respond to or not.
I dont care for personal attacks are name calling but negative ads help to build a index of information that positive ads cant. They should never be taken as a sole source cause every issue two sides and there are to many pre packaged opinions out there. just my .02
ben

tlooney

Well here on the left coast we don't even go to the voting booth anymore we have to trust the U.S. Postal Service to deliver our ballots. I kinda miss talking to the retired school teachers and such what used to man the booths. By the way I did mail my ballot and my wifes ballot last friday.

tlooney
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

getoverit

I voted !

I'm also glad the elections are over so that my phone will stop ringing from all of the automated phone calls. I dont care which party it is that does that, it annoys me to no ends.

If you are happy about the results of the elections, you need to watch LINK TV (A channel I get on DirecTV satellite). The Arabs in the middle east are jumping up and down in joy over the results.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Gary_C

I think the entire election was summed up by a local newby that won a surprising election as Mayor of Austin, MN. He related in an interview that he probably won because he promised to "do something about the local immigrant problem," although he admitted that he "wasn't sure just what he was going to do about that problem."  :D

Don't ya just love it when a politician is honest? 
At least after the election. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!