iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Little confusion when it comes to sharpening

Started by alsayyed, November 07, 2006, 02:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

I am sorry to write after this time using the chain saw and know I ask the question which I should've asked before. When it comes to sharpening I hear people say sharp at 4 or 5 and 35 degrees, I normally sharp at 4 degrees maybe when I use Logosol bar and Stihl chain. Know the important question what do you sharp actually  underneath the plate or you sharp the curve which like half circle which is part of the top plate. I hope everyone understand what I am talking about.
When it comes to sharpen 3/8 chain I should use 9 mm round file or smaller or bigger

Dan_Shade

if you have the file held properly, you end up filing the top plate, and the curve.

9mm is roughly 11/32, a 7/32" file is what I use for 3/8 chain.  I'd think 9mm to be way to big, find something closer to 5.5mm

have I mentioned today how much I hate the metric system?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Kevin

alsayyed

well mostly Stihl. I just purchased two from Logosol they are 3/8 x 050 and the rest of chain 3/8 x 063 and some ripping chain from Granberg international. i am trying to sharping them all. I have purchased the 12v sharpner form Granberg International with 7/32 sharpining burrs

Dan_Shade

do you know the model of the chain?  is it 33rs?  33rm?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

alsayyed

thanks Dan for your help. i have check the box for the one that Logosol recommended 63 PMX 72 OILOMATIC 3 DOSE IT SOUND FAMLIAR TO YOU

Kevin

PM is Picco Micro, calls for a 5/32" or 4mm file.

rebocardo

The angle of the top plate differs depending on what the chain is being used, I assume you are talking strictly ripping for the Logosol. Some Stihl chain for regular cross cutting (normal use) does require 35 degrees.

Kevin

What ever angle you decide on be sure the cutting or working corner of the cutter gets sharpened.
If you blacken the cutting edge with a black marking pen you will see where the metal on the tooth gets filed.

rebocardo

Plus, on some chain you are not suppose to file down the depth gauge raker, learned that the hard way, because the chain tilts back towards its heel while cutting.

Tony_T

Logosol 3/8 X 0.050 PMX ripping chain requires a 5/32 file and recommended angle is 5 degrees

Raphael

Here is a link to Logosol's booklet on bar and chain care (pdf).

I use 10° as 'The Logosol Filing Device' has 10° (& 35°) guide lines, Rob got me hooked on it a couple years back.  Combined with the Pferd file I can sharpen accurately by hand faster than I can with the grinder.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!