iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hollowing logs

Started by artwood, November 07, 2006, 11:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artwood

Greetings,
I've been considering purchasing a Log Master or Log Wizard to hollow out some logs. Anyone have experience with this tools & how they hold up? - Eric

Max sawdust

Hi artwood,
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  What size logs do you want to hollow out?  What size does the hollow need to be?  A friend of mine just uses the chainsaw and cuts a V into the log. 
I have been exploring some type of router jig that mounts on my sawmill for hollowing logs.
Have not considered the chainsaw attachments you mentioned.  Could be a good idea..
You might post your question about the log wizards reliability on the sawing and milling section of this forum.  It is my understanding the log wizard is designed to be a "power" debarker, so some of the folks over their may own one.

max

True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

artwood

I've been using a chainsaw to do this for many years. Someone told me about the Log Master. It's kind a spendy, about $500, so just wanted to get some feedback on it before I drop the dough. Log builders use it for coping I thought.

4woody

look at bailleys its not that hy there

Tom Sawyer

I have used a Log Wizard for debarking, but I wouldn't want to attempt to hollow out a very big log with one.  There has to be better and faster ways to do it.

Hbarker

...Looking for a good method myself 8)
seen the log wizard, I think one could find a cheaper way.

Max sawdust

I have been kicking around the idea of mounting a router on my sawmill and making passes up and down the log to hollow out the center.  Need to reseach router bits yet and how to mount the bracket to the saw mill.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

LOGDOG

Artwood,

Are you wanting to keep the logs in tact with the center being hollow? If so, I'll sell you all the hollow logs you want. ;D I've been waitin' for someone just like you.  ;) Seriously though, Hollow logs are easy to find if that's what you're looking for. I just burned a few dandies. I got tired of moving them around. What do you make of them? Any pics?

LOGDOG

Stumpkin

Did someone say hollow logs?   8)

I have a Log Wizzard, it's not the tool for hollowing logs, it uses the same blades as a makita 3 1/4" power plane.
Tom
"Do we know what we're doing and why?"
"No"
"Do we care?"
"We'll work it all out as we go along. Let our practice form our doctrine, thus assuring precise theoretical coherence."      Ed Abbey

Firebass

I bet this would work for cutting the radius in the end of logs.  I made it for coping the ends of plastic pipe for making branch saddles fittings.  I got to thinking about it, what do you guys use to cope the ends of logs for building?

http://www.youtube.com/v/sJJqy82bTNA&rel=1

Firebass

Jim_Rogers

Put a log in it and try it.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!