iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacement handles for double-bit axe

Started by qatanlison, November 07, 2006, 09:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qatanlison

I've been browsing the web after some good, and I mean really good, replacement handles for my double-bits. As I'm from sweden and double-bit axes are as common as polar bears on the streets I´ve had to make the handles myself. Starting out from a 36x4x2" blank and needless to say - I´ve just about had it; Quite a lot of friends envy my eBay bought axe-heads and are willing to pay top-dollars for one of their own - with a good handle to go... I´ve located a firm, the O.P. Link Handle Co. Inc. which seem to be the most serious maker - quality-wise. BUT I fail to find any web-site or email to get in contact with them. So I turn to you; Does anyone know where I can get my handles? Now, I´m after the straight grained, second growth, all white hickory which will guarantee a long life in the woods.

Thanks

Ola

beenthere

Have you checked out sponsor Bailey's (see to left)? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

qatanlison

Yep, I´ve seen the ones you suggested, but they seem to be of a somewhat lower grade of hickory than I´m after. I´ve seen and owned axes hung with these laquered, flame hardened and reddish looking handles and they crack... The wood I´ve used has put me back a good $20 a piece, not even turned or lathed so forgive me for finding it a bit fishy when a hung-ready handle is retailed at under $10.
But I sure appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

/Ola

crtreedude

I got wood down here that might work (and then again, perhaps not). It is called Corteza. So dense it doesn't absorbe water.

Might make your axe a bit heavy though. Probably like just putting a steel handle on the axe...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!