iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer season opener

Started by badpenny, November 05, 2006, 09:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badpenny

Season opener was yesterday, and a little scamper watched me check the mail, so he became camp meat. Then, about 4:30, his dad came by my stand about 25-30 yards out. Do you know how much scope is taken up at 30 yards on 9 power? It leaves just a little light at the top and the bottom.

Two of the 10 points on dad are broken, probably from fighting, or maybe from aggressive rubbing
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

Jeff

He was definitely in rut wernt he. Look at that neck!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

badpenny

Jeff, his tongue was hanging out, and just came trotting by. Ran about 50-60 yards and piled up. I hunt from a 10' elevated stand on the edge of about 15 acres of hay/corn/oats/rye in different patches, so finding him was no problem. Trailer behind van,drive into field, tilt bed down, drag deer on, tilt bed up, field dress, and
go to house to hang up to cool.
  And the backstrap from the little scamper was delicious for supper to-nite.

Jeff

Our season doesnt open until the 15th.  My son Jeremy and I are leaving for the cabin this wendsday. He'll stay until saturday and then leave me there for the rest of season. Hes not into rifle hunting so is just going up to hang out with Dad until my sister and brotherinlaw get to camp on Saturday.

Norm

Nice big buck badpenny! Your season sure opens earlier than ours but with the temps warming up probably just as well for us.

Couple of years ago I got a nice big buck and a button buck on the same day. The big guy was chasing does around so I thought he'd be a bit on the strong side but the little one would be as tender as veal. Started cutting them up and ended up throwing out the button buck, he was so rank smelling I knew the meat would be terrible. The big buck on the other hand had no musky smell at all and was very good eating.

thecfarm

Deer hunting opened here on Oct 28 to Mainers only.Than all the flat landers on the following Monday.I take it you can have 2 deer with a rifle?Only one allowed here.Very nice looking deer.I don't see many during daylight during hunting season.They are around in the fields at night and have seen them up by our house.Have to keep the dog hitched for the season.He's asleep now in the bedroom.He gets to run on Sundays,no hunting allowed on that day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

badpenny

The area I hunt in, inside zone 1 the northernmost, will sell you a license for a deer, either buck or doe, and another permit at half price for an antlerless deer only. Also, my 75 y/o mother hunts as well, so there are 4 tags to be used this year.

Weekend_Sawyer

Badpenny, I like those small ones! Those horns can get tough :D

WV gun season opens on Monday the 20th. I'll be in deer camp for a week and a half.
Can't wait. Dad let me hunt squirrels when I was 9, I had to go out with either him or my older brother Chris. One day we brought in 14 squirrels! Uncle Harrold made squirrel pot pie. Man that was good. When I was 11 he started me deer hunting and it has been the most anticipated season since. Every year I can't wait to get out opening day. 2 years ago my brothers Karl, chris and I were walking a ridgeline opening morning to get to our spot's which were about 300 yards apart. As we are about to split up,
Chris says "There's a deer"
Karl says "Where"
BOOM
"Right there" ;)
Chris told us to go ahead, he would take care of his deer. Karl and I splitup and I head for my spot. I had a huge rock slide behind me so I figured everything would come across infront of me.  I get settled in and BOOM, I hear Karl, crap I'm thinkin there aint gonna be any deer within a mile of here, might as well move. I look around before getting up and there is a deer in the rockslide right behind me! BOOM! Opening morning only lasted a couple of hours. 8)

Last year I didn't get a deer in WV during gun season, I was too buisy running up and down my newly purchased property in WV! I made up for it in muzzleloader tho.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

KENROD

Nice buck 8)
Season opens here this Sat. Suppost to cool off a little. I hope their right this time, 70
is a little warm. We can get one buck with at least 4 points on one side and as many antlerless as you can buy tags for. :o Only got eight last year. Makes for a lot of sausage and loin steaks. :)

Jeff

Well. I hope I get one!  My son and I are off to da cabin. Season starts next week. Hes coming back this Saturday as he does not gun hunt.  He's leaving me there. See ya'll in about 3 weeks.  :)

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow, a Month of bear hunting and 3 weeks of deer hunting :o
Man you got it made :)

Jon

sawguy21

We will need to retrain him. :o :D :D :D Good luck Jeff.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

farmerdoug

Good luck Jeff. :)

Better luck in this season.  Just remember to check the bed for guns before you sit on it. ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

pigman

I bet the bear are thick up there now. ;)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

johncinquo

Buck in rut, YUCK!  Hawwwwwwk thewy!   Anytime I do get a nice buck, I cut and package it all up, and give it away.  I think many people dont like venison simply becauce of eating da big buck that dad brought home.  Nice ole doe, corn fed, alfalfa grass, Mmmmmm delicious. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

beenthere

I've shot a lot of bucks over the years, and only one tasted 'wild' and was hard to eat. That was one that was butchered like a beef (one given to me before I learned to butcher them myself), with bone and fat left on the meat (chops and steaks and roasts).
However, to avoid the strong gamey flavor that deer bone and fat (tallow) contribute, I always trim all the meat off the bones, and remove all the fat and muscle sheath.  No gamey meat, and that includes the bucks in rut. Gonna have two big roasts from an '04 buck in rut for dinner tonight. If it's gamey at all, I will let you know :). I don't like any gamey flavor AT ALL (period). 
Just a different look at it. I don't mind that johncinquo gives his away, but it sure is why I don't accept any venison butchered by someone else.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Careful now BT...ya don't wanna get CWD... :D  :D  :D

Ya better give me the meat and I'll test it for ya... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

:D :D :D
That don't work... :)  Gotta test my own   :)

Some good tracking snow today.

(more in my gallery)

Far cry from the great weather two day ago when I stopped by Burlkraft's sawmill and craft yard.......

If the sun is out in the morning, should make for some great pics. For those that enjoy the snow scenery anyway :). Sharp contrast to the equator pics FDH just showed us..... :)  (they were good pics of cutting that big wood der FDH.....thanks).

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

I recollect them white days. Youster clumb them light poles in that stuff.

I'll take the equator any day. I can always stop and cool down.  ;) :D :D :D

Yer welcome of them photos. Wait'll we start on the BIG Ojoche.  :o :o :o ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

Deadheader..You Tease.... :D  :D  :D

BT ....Yeah..nice day eh.. ???  ???  ???  I got my fill of snow scenes the last 5" we got. I was hopin' that was all we were gonna git.... :(  :(  :(

I was sawin' pine in shirt sleeves yesterday...Looks like you got about as much as we got.. :-\ :-\ :-\

Blake22

our gun season opened in Florida today. I killed a nice 8-pt right after it got light enough to see this morning. He fell right there in the corn pile. I was back home at 7:30 and at work at 8:30.

That nice big buck on that trailer is twice as big as the I got this am & (for Florida) mine was above average. digin_2
Blake

Weekend_Sawyer

We had a great week at deer camp. I brought home 4 deer, no trophy's just nice eaters.
I agree with Beenthere, We do all our own butchering, no bone, no tallow. I have an amazing amout of meat in the freezer. Going to make a bunch of jerky this weekend.
I made about 5 lb (pre dried weight) and it is GONE!

Muzzle loader season is comeing ;)

bitternut

We did pretty good on opening morning of New York's gun season. We were all done with the buck take by 8:00 am. These guys won't be browsing on any more of my trees. My son-in-law is on the left and my hunting buddy is on the right. I am behind the camera. I shot the middle deer with only one antler.

Norm

The first part of our split season opened Saturday. It was in the teens with a stiff NW wind bringing the windchills down into the sub zero range. Walking in I spooked a big barred owl which we don't see very many of. I sat down on the leeward side of the ravine next to the crick that runs through the middle of our woods, helped to be out of the wind some. A bright red cardinal came in right beside me and started looking for seeds in the weed patch I was sitting in. They have the prettiest red color I've ever seen and one of the few birds tough enough to spend the winter here. I was intent on watching him when a rooster pheasant came into sight a couple of feet away. He spotted me at the same time I spotted him, not sure who was more surprised but we both probably weren't expecting the other to be there. Off he flew voicing his displeasure at being disturbed from the morning feed. Overhead a couple of bald eagles soared following the crick, while a kingfisher dove into the icy water looking for minnows. Tough way to make a living I thought.

After lunch I dressed a little heavier and went back out. This time I saw plenty of deer but none near me. I have 4 tags and told myself to wait for a nice buck to fill one with but I'm sure a big doe would have sufficed. I watched one big buck come out of the woods and meander over to the neighbors backyard, he bedded down in some weeds not 50 yards out of their back door.

Tired of sitting I moved further into the woods along the crick, I know an area by some blowdowns that when the winds blowing the deer like to hole up in. Sure enough I jumped up a big doe, all thoughts of waiting for a buck went out the window. I shot and missed miserably, while trying to unjam the 870 pump out pops a huge buck. Wouldn't you know it he kind of just loped off until he heard the gun jack the next shell in. He found his legs and was moving, I tried to leed him but shot over him. It was all I could do to keep from wrapping that gun around a tree.

Up to the house and fix my a-5 autoloader cussing myself for not doing it earlier and using an unfamiliar gun. Back out to my original spot. I no more than get settled and that darn rooster shows up in the same place...we we're both surprised to say the least. Not too much later I can hear shooting off to the north, I hunker down hoping they'll spook some towards me. Sure enough 5 minutes later I can hear some moving through the thick weeds towards me. It turns out to be 3 does, one is limping badly. I figure it had been wounded by the shooters north of me, not really wanting to shot a small doe but couldn't let one suffer I shot her through her neck, she dropped instantly. When I came over I was surprised to find that she had a old injury that had healed over some time ago. She was fat and in very good shape.

Burlkraft

Nice doe Norm.

My grandpa used to say if you're going to shoot a doe make sure it's a big dry doe. Now I know he was a pretty smart man, but how could he tell if she was dry in November......That's something I've always wondered about  ::)   ::)   ::)

Thank You Sponsors!