iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cord Prices

Started by Shawn, November 05, 2006, 07:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

How much is a Cord of firewood going for in SE Michigan. I have 80% Red oak/ 20% ash.  Half of it is green. The dried half is split & dry.

Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

SawDust_Studios

Not sure about MI, but around here the avg price is about $125-160cord split and dried for hardwood.
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

The udder half.

Hey Shawn, we should be getting the prices from you. :D You appear to be the Forum's lone SE Michigan firewood dealer at the moment. Corley probably has some idea of the northern markets by now. Hes probably up to his elbows in processed firewood by now I bet. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

I'm moving seasoned firewood at 50 bucks a face cord (1/3 of a standard cord) local and 60 bucks for the same delivered to neighboring communities.  Selling pretty steady with no advertising only repeat customers and referrals.  Somedays I really wish everyone would just leave me alone so I could work on my logging project ;) ;D :)  Depending on the market I may run some adds before the Holidays but for now the cheap guys are selling in the classifieds for 45 and 50 dollars a face cord delivered.  I've no need to compete with them ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

I'de say the guy processing the firewood knows the best about pricing. I'de say set a price your comfortable with. Can't give this stuff away, too precious. Sell at that price without shame. There are always those few that undercut themselves, they'll be weeded out for various reasons.  ;)

I've learnt a long time ago, that wood don't dry when froze. So, when I get mine I usually have it by early summer or late spring, and 3-4 months stacked in the hot summer sun makes good seasoned wood.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

breederman

Our cord prices are about the same as Breezewoods.  Face cords in the pennysaver are from 35 :( to 50 dollars.  I have a sign out front on our very rural road and the only taker so far was a trade for hay for terrys pigmy goats! My price is 50$ a face or else I'll burn it my self!
Together we got this !

SwampDonkey

Some of you guys might be competing with those cutting tree length stumpage for pulpwood. The price is so low on pulp that it drives the firewood price down because some of these processors can buy treelength for their processor cheaper than they can cut it themselves. Up here that gets compounded when you have pulp being bought from crown wood licenses that is even cheaper than cheap.  :-\

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

I can buy all the 100" hardwood pulp I want for $70.00 a cord.  If I shop around I can get it for 65 :)

Shawn

I have about 2 full cords from cleaning our property over the pass 3 years. I plan to sell it and give the money to the charity my wife volunteers for. All my seasoned wood is red oak. I have red oak and ash that I have cut this summer. Ash was dead so its probably half dry. I was going to ask $300 for all and get rid of it and help someone else out at the same time.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Shawn...

Shotgun

Shawn,

Be certain to check out the following site for information on the Emerald Ash Borer Quarantine in MI and other states. Selling and moving ash firewood is covered. Don't want to be reading about you in the paper.   ;D

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1568_2390_18298---,00.html

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Shawn

Norm,
I thought about that & hope to find a buyer in the SE Mi area where it can be moved. Only about 1 face cord is Ash. My neighbor told me that when the ash bores get done with the ash trees their going to move on to the red oak and maple. Any one heard of this???

Shawn...

Corley5

Quote from: Shawn on November 06, 2006, 01:35:35 PM
Norm,
I thought about that & hope to find a buyer in the SE Mi area where it can be moved. Only about 1 face cord is Ash. My neighbor told me that when the ash bores get done with the ash trees their going to move on to the red oak and maple. Any one heard of this???

Shawn...

No truth to that at all.  Just a rumor

Jeff

Yep. I concur. nothing but a rumor.  I'll send this to Erin and let her comment.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I also concur. The insect has shown to be too selective to all the sudden shift genus. If it were going to eat maple, you can be sure it would be into it now.

estiers

If you read back in some of the EAB posts in the Education section, I commented on how EAB is selective for ash only, and even within ash it prefers green.  In China, it does feed on other hosts, but all of them are of the compund leaf variety.  Hence, not oak and maple, but walnut and hickory.  However, there have been someforce feeding studies done here and none lived but on the ash.  Hope that answers your questin there.

As for the firewood movement: please check out the website posted by Shotgun.  That will tell you the boundaries you need to keep for ALL of the firewood, not just the ash.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Thank You Sponsors!