iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log End Sealer

Started by maplewoman, November 04, 2006, 09:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maplewoman

Hi, guys and gals ;D does anybody know what are the latest products and where to get them. I used to use End Check but cant find it anywhere in australia. My logs are cracking up. Like me. Can anybody help me. I live in North Queensland and understand I will have to pay for transport i just need this stuff and lots of it. If you have no idea what I am talking about, it is a wax based emulsion that is painted onto the end of the logs to prevent the moisture from leaving too quickly so they dont split and crack. My pile of logs is so big that I have to do this in log form to keep the integrity of the log.

Tom

While it isn't the only product available Anchor Seal Is one of the most popular here in the USA.

SawDust_Studios

I've been extremely happing with anchor seal for ucoatings.
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

My procedure for log sealing is simple.

I have two 5-gal. pails (20 l.?).    In one is .5 l. of water.
I keep a standard paint roller with a 1/2" nap cover on it stored
in the water pail, ready to use.   The water just keeps the roller moist.
In the other is a couple of gallons of elastomeric roof coating.  This
stuff is a white acrylic product.  Both of the pails stay sealed. 
(Of course, these pails originally were full of this coating, but
large paint or drywall mud containers work just as well.)

When I get logs, I pop my tops, roll the ends with the rubbery stuff.
Then put the roller back in, mess and all, in the water pail.  Seal them
both.

The white coating will not wash off.  It is readily available at many
builder's supply sorts of stores.  It costs just a little more than the
"real" end sealers, but, since I don't have to worry about special
orders or shipping costs,  the difference is not worth the worry to me.

Many companies make the coating, just do a search for who is
around your part of the globe.

Phil L.

Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

kabe1953

Maplewoman, ckecked my Caltex cataldog t'day and they have a product called "end seal" so see your local Caltex distributor and check it out.
Comes in 20l drums and it aint cheap.
Kerry
Push him he go, Pull him he come

maplewoman

;)Thanks Guys you have all been a real help. 8)

malhyp

G'day maplewoman if you are still looking for something to seal your logs with you can try either CN Emulsion or the End Check whichis available from, http://www.thomsonwhite.com.au/9_timbercare.html.

Cheers
Malcolm
www.timberseek.com.au
Cheers
Malcolm
www.timberseek.com.au

Tropical man

Hi Maplewoman
On a trip to Mexico I ran into an old timer who uses a mix of corn starch, urea fertilizer, and water.  He swears it works great.  I talked to some kiln operators who were drying lumber sawn from logs with this end treatment and they said they get virtualy no end splitting.  I haven't tried it myself.  If it works it would be dirt cheap.

I'm on a trip right now but when I get home I can try to find the formula for you if you are interested.

Tom

welcome to the forum, Tropical Man.

The whole forum is always interested in the way people solve problems, whether they work or not.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!