iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 660 with 36"bar

Started by Beany, November 03, 2006, 03:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beany

Just a bit of advice from you pros, if possible.
Have invested in an MS 660 36"bar, to cut thick trunks to split size. The performance is awesome, and everything seems fine, except one niggle.....cutting soon results in fines blocking chain and bar, even with ematic oil screw (using standard stihl oil), open fully. Stopping for cleaning, and an empty rev. results in a well lubed chain and bar, until next time same happens. Do you think a lighter chain oil, or a blend of chain oil/diesel oil would benefit? I didn't plan on having to stop so many times while cutting, especially with such a "top" saw. Any help/advice gratefully received....

ComputerUser

That's curious.  I'm intrigued to know exactly how the fines are getting into the bar groove.  Is the chain gauge proper for the bar (i.e. is there extra clearance allowing too much rubbish in); is the chain properly sharp and throwing chips instead of dust; and does this occur when ripping and when crosscutting?  Strange.

Do be aware that there is a high-output oiler available for that saw, so perhaps swapping that oiler for the standard one would help out on a long bar.  I have that one in mine and it pumps like crazy, it has to be dialed way down on a 28" bar or else it sprays oil everywhere.  Perhaps increased oil flow would solve your problem.

4woody

sawguy21

Are you running full comp chain? Skip tooth might solve your problem.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Beany

The chain is Rapid Super Comfort 3 (RSC3).
I will certainly consider having the high-output oiler fitted.
Keep the advice coming.
(Beany in the UK)

customsawyer

Turn your bar over and then tighen your chain. Remember to pull up on the chian when as you tighten the nuts.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

rebocardo

> cutting soon results in fines blocking chain and bar

What are "fines" in relation to this question? I never heard of them.

macpower

If you are burying most of a three foot bar, you may need to  run a  skip chain. There may not be enough space between the cutters on the RSC3 for the chips. The finer chips and dust are being driven down into the bar groove. Running a slack chain may also aggravate things.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Thank You Sponsors!