iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to spray for Multifloral Rose?

Started by Dieselrider, November 03, 2006, 09:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselrider

Ok,
I am not sure if this is the right board to ask this question or not. Dang dumb new guys anyhow!   ::)
     Do any of you have suggestions as to what can be sprayed on Multifloral Rose without killing half the forest yet will do the job on the intended target? :P

Also- may as well be a complete pest while I'm at it- what is a good pole pruning saw to use in the woods? Should I be trying to reach 20 feet or so or would a Husky or Stihl gas powered that can reach 10-15 feet be better? Do the manual ones cut good with a quality blade or does it turn into a wrestling match? Or should I just allow the trees alone and take what comes without any pruning?

Thanks again folks! ;D :)
Always try to be the best, but never think you are the best.

beenthere

I have the Stihl pole saw, and have had very good performance.
That vs a hand saw depends a bit on what you want to carry (long and far), and how many limbs you want to saw off.

For the multi-flora, I'd try Garlon 4 and apply on the cut stump or as a bark spray. That m-f can be some wicked stuff. To think, as a kid it was promoted for fence rows and wildlife cover. Don't know if there is any left in central Iowa from that misled effort or not.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bro. Noble

Quote from: beenthere on November 03, 2006, 09:48:44 AM
That m-f can be some wicked stuff.

Shame on you , Beenthere,  I must remind you that 'DanG' is the official FF cuss word. :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Greg

WDH

I too use Garlon 4.  I make up a basic spray of round-up in a 2.5% solution and garlon 4 at a 2.5% solution in the same sprayer.  This mix is not soil active, and only kills what it contacts.  This mix will kill just-about-anything that you spray it on.  A few waxy species are pretty tough, but this mix kills almost all deciduous hardwoods like maple, hickory, ash, oak, and most other hardwood.  The round-up in the the mix will get any grass or herbaceous weeds.  

As far a pruning saw, I bought a Hayauchi saw made by Silky from Forestry Suppliers.  It is a manual saw that telescopes in sections.  I used it to prune 10 acres of thinned planted pine (at 150 trees/acre, that was 1500 trees, so I got real used to that saw!) and it cut like a champ.  I could easily prune up to 18 - 20 feet, and the saw cuts so smooth you won't believe it.There is a 16' saw that costs $150 and a 20.5' saw that costs $190.  The sawblade is exceptionally high quality.  A replacement blade costs $58.  I bought a spare blade, and after 1500 trees (and a bunch of other assorted pruning), and I am only on the second blade.

The forest products company I work for has a program to thin planted pines to grow higher quality pine lumber.  All the pruning is done manually with manual pole saws, no chainsaws.  The pole chainsaws are too heavy and don't reach high enough.  With the hayauchi saw, it is must faster than a pole chainsaw if you have a lot of pruning to do.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

broker farmer

They  make a product called "CrossBow" that works good on multiflora rose.  I've used it with good success.  Bro. Noble...........I'm pretty sure that "beenthere" meant "multi-flora" when he used M_F as an abbreviator.

Tom

Br'er Noble knew that, broker farmer.  He's quite the trickster.  That's a long standing joke around here and falls in line with "It wouldn't take near as much guts to write Multi-Floral on the hood of a Massey Ferguson Tractor".

We don't live in the lower reaches of comedy here but an innocent zinger now and again is appropriate enough. :D

beenthere

Yup, Bre'r Noble caught me that time..... :o :-[

'nuff o those short cuts 4 me  ;D

Isn't Crossbow a glyphosate, like Round-up?  Or is it like Garlon?  So many names that are Brand names used by a company for their particular product (but same ingredients).

I was thinking the original question was something other than roundup that killed other things too.  Mebee wrong there.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thurlow

Garlon 4, Crossbow, Spike, Remedy;  I'm not familiar with a brush-killer formulation of Round-up, although there may be one.  There are much better products for "woody" plants than regular grass/weed killer Roundup.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Norm

There is plenty of that stuff in central Iowa still. We cut it off flush with the chainsaw and treat the cut ends with Tordon. Helps keep from killing a wide area around it when you use a spray but if I had a bunch to do I'd use crossbow in the spring.

Noble sure gets onery when the days get shorter might have to see if we can get Jeff to change him into barn again....might help. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!