iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Polar Bears and more. Nov / Dec 06

Started by amberwood, November 02, 2006, 05:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amberwood

Mornimg/Evening all.

Just a quick note on MY LAST DAY AT WORK FOR 2 MONTHS !!!

Can you say that enough times?

On Monday we are off from Melbourne to Vancouver..then over to Churchill for a trip out on the Tundra chasing the polar bears with a camera. From about the 17th to the 30th Dec there is no plan other than a hire car and general idea to loop east to Jasper etc finishing back in Vancouver.
December will be ex Boston, drop in at Logrite for a long awaited collection of cant hooks then head north in search of mountains and skiing..maybe as far as back into Canada..wont know until we get there.
Finally head west meeting friends In AnnArbor. MI about the 18th throught to Christmas..

Surely somewhere in there we will have time to drop in on someone, somewhere ansd talk trees and machines. Obviously I will be limited to accessing the forum from public/airport internet so the daily intake of FF will be missed.

If there is anything I MUST see  let me know and maybe i can work on the "Trip Planner" on the flight over...24 hrs with nothing else to do.

thanks
DTR

MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Tom

Surely a trip to Harrison Mi. is in order where you will be close enough to see Jeff, MikeP of rust reaper, the wild woman of michigan, wildflower, the hunter and manufacturer of turkey calls and antler grow, Pete.
If your lucky maybe Ron Scott, the forester, author, historian and great lakes diver might come over from Cadillac and Chet, our resident Yooper, might show up from the UP to make it a real party.

You've got to see the Mackinac Bridge and the water driven sawmill, if it's open. Won't be running with the stream frozen but you might see it.  I was impressed with the Locks at the soo and a tourist trip through the little towns eating hamburgers and candy.

Michigan's just chock full of forestry, sawmills and logging.  You'll need a guide.

Jeff

Heck yea, if your in Ann Arbor  for Christmas clear from Australia, your 99.99% of the way to my house. Ya gotta come on up!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

amberwood

I had a feeling there would be a few visits to make! I have been advised that there is a day trip outlet shopping about an hour north if AnnArbour somewhere in the  last week..so if I know about one there is prob 5 more. I will stick my hand up when we get closert and tee up some times!!

thanks
DTR

MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Furby

Probly thinking of Great Lakes Crossing mall.
http://www.shopgreatlakescrossing.com/index.html
Bass Pro Shops is right there as well. ;)

Stephen1

DTR;
Drop me a line if you want to head north skiing. We have a place in Tremblant. I will be there from Dec. 11-18 . We like visitors.
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

amberwood

Stephen..very generous..might have to take you up on the offer.

Duncan
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

asy

Now, don't forget there are those of us (ME!!!) Who live vicariously through the travels of others!!!

TAKE PHOTOS!!!!!

Please :D

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sawguy21

amberwood, I am now only 30 minutes from Vancouver airport. Will you have time for a coffee?

amberwood

Asy..two(9) camera, 5 memory cards and a 60gig ipod to put them on..that is 200000 pics capacity if we want them. Dont worry we will be banging of photos like there was time limit.

Sawguy21..Will be in Vancouver Monday 06/11, then back on 17th , then again 30th.. viting the airport every time. Surely we can tee up ONE cup! I will PM when we hit the ground and see what you are up to.

DTR

MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Stephen1

Duncan;
My phone #1-905-467-7125, give us a call even if we are not there we might be able to work something out.
Steve
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

amberwood

Evening/morning all.

Just stopped in at PaulH's place to talk about the weather and have taken the opportunity to upload a couple of pics taken earlier this  week in Churchill..the polar bear place.  This is 3 of 600 pics taken in 2 days out on the tundra..cold...how about -19 0c plus windchill.

MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

asy

What absolutely adorable photos, especially the last one. Pity the light wasn't playing nice with you.

Still, sounds like you're having a BALL.

Keep the photos coming!

Tom

Neat photos.   If they were mine, they would be taken with a  Lon-n-ng telephoto lens.  :D

Now I look at them a little differently.  The second, I would caption as "what's cooking?"

The third, "son, look at those steaks over there by the car." :D

sawguy21

You are right Tom, up there, we become part of the food chain and not necessarily the top. Amberwood, sorry I missed your message on Wednesday, power was off due to the storm.

amberwood

No need for a long lense..they come right up to the vehicle and have a look thru the window at you!

Sawguy21..no probs. Back in Vancouver about the 30th so will give you call before then.

Asy. the lighting on the first day, when the first two photos were taken was ideal..the second not so good. These have not been touched up at all..straight from the camera. Will see what we can do once we get home and can play around with photoshop.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

asy

Light notwithstanding, they are still magnificent shots.

Are you shooting in RAW?

Tom

SwampDonkey

Wow your covering a lot of ground pretty fast there amberwood. I'de be as dizzy and tired as all get out. The phrase 'all eye balls and..' ermm comes to mind. ;)  Those are some nice healthy looking bears. It's nice when your on the inside of one of them snow buses looking out though.  ;D Seen a documentary of folks coming from all over the globe for this type of ecotourism. When are ya going rock/ice climbing up in Baffin Island?  ;D :D Did Paul make ya tale boards, shovel wet stuff, tug burlap bales or something in trade for computer time?  ;D

Have a great journey.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

amberwood

you are not wrong..back and forth thru the time zones

6th-9th
vancouver
10th fly to winnipeg, overnight
11th fly to churchhill
16th fly to winnipeg
16th fly vancouver
16th drive whistler(escape before the chaos of the season opening)
18th kamloops
19th drive to Jasper..on to Bamff in a coupe of days..

No hard labour was required for the computer time..and i even had a demo of the MD mill..

Many thanks to Paul and his family for the hospitality..we hope to get back there on the way back to Vancouver in a week or so!! I have pics but 2.5meg is a little oversize for posting!

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Paul_H

I hope you get a chance to stop in again,we enjoyed the visit too.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

amberwood

Just escaped from Banff...not alot to do in winter except ski...everything else is Ferme or REALLY EXPENSIVE. Curr in Revelstoke working our way west back to Vancouver..no plan. Fo the record the lowest temp on the car display is -19oC...it is a wakup when you get back in the car in the morning and the half a bottle of water is frozen solid.

nothing quite like holidays.

DTR

MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

SwampDonkey

Burr, that's cold. = 0 F. It got down to -5 C here last night, then back up to 6 C this afternoon. Nice weather to ride dirt roads and walk the woods.  Found 50 acres of thinning today. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!