iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the best contractor's table saw?

Started by jpgreen, November 02, 2006, 02:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

Delta, Jet, Grizzly, Craftsman?

I'm limited to 110 volts, and want the best one.  Any suggestions are much appreciated..  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

jpgreen

Tom

It used to be the Delta uni-saw but Grizzley is making a great showing.

jpgreen

Grizzly just now posted this sale on a cabinet saw:

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/G1023S110

I can run a 30 amp 110v, which is what they run in these cabinet saws. I wonder if you have to have a dust system hooked up, or if I can just vacuume it out later?

jpgreen

This sales one is not a left hand tilt.  Is that a real big deal?

Man you autta look at the triple belt drive on this beast in the extra pics..  :o 8)

Modat22

If your talking contractor saw, the bosch recieved great reviews in a recent tool review. Its was closely followed by dewalt and portercable.
remember man that thy are dust.

solodan

Pat are you looking for a contractor's saw or a cabinet saw?

I have a Grizzly contractor  saw with the cast iron table, and compared to other contractor saws, it blows them away IMHO.  However if I bought another one, I would buy a cabinet saw, cause the one I have is 300 lbs anyway. I my opinion, you should at least be able to get a contractors saw in a pickup truck, :-\ but for that, I always use a cheap portable one. I had a $90 Ryobi  I  used for way longer than I thought it would last, and now I have a $200 craftsman with extensions and folding legs. Funny thing is, I think the Ryobi is better than the Dewalt contractors saw, again just my opinion. I guess what i'm saying, is that if you want it to be stationary, get a cabinet saw.

jpgreen

That was my thought on the cabinet saw Dan, cause with Grizzly I noticed how close the weight was.

I've got a cheap table top that I bought at a garage sale, and I figured it would be dead by now too, but it keeps living..  :D

What do you think about left tilt vs. right?

THe more expensive right tilt cab saw on sale from my link above looks real nice. Triple belt drive.

solodan

I think the right tilts are usually more expensive. I think it is just preference really but I really don't know ???  It seems you can do exatly the same cuts left or right, just a different set up.

pappy

jpgreen,
I've had the Delta 10" (belt drive) contractor table saw
Short Link since 1990. Man the price hasn't changed much in 16 years!

I got the Uni fence at the same time when I bought the saw, BIG Plus if your gonna cut up some 4 X 8 sheet and laminate material...

I boosted the motor up to a 2 hp, wired it 220 and use a 8" Marathon blade... Man does this saw ever cut.. 2" hard maple no prob  8) I've done alot of slicing with this baby and absolutely no troubles... Hardly a day goes buy without me using this saw... Takes a licking' and keeps on ticking  8)

I hooked it up to my dust system easily just using the table saw dust hood link

Ya might find most table saws will be doggy sawing 2" hardwoods running on 110...  ::)

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

jpgreen

Ya-

There reason I'm using 110, is we're all solar.  If I want 220, I have to fire up a generator, and nothin' is sweeter than running power equipment on silent solar power.

Don't work that much with hard wood, but if I did, I would definitely use the gerenator, and wire her up in 220.  Good thing all these motors are dual voltage..  8)

Plus I now have this real fast saw called an LT40..  :D

metalspinner

I had the Delta 10" contractor's saw with a Unifence.  It was a great machine.  For some reason that seemed good at the time, I sold it and bought the Dewalt hybrid saw.  I was about to build my kitchen and the sliding table attachment looked really nice.  the Dewalt was nice for handling the sheet stock with the sliding table.  But the Delta ran so smooth and the Unifence was so nice that now I miss it.  I hardly ever use the sliding table now on the Dewalt.

If I had a thousand bucks kickin' around I would look into this one...

My hybrid saw has a little vibration in it that is annoying.  The blade has runout in it as well.
I shouldn't have sold the Delta I guess. :(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

jpgreen

What is Delta's "Induction" motor?

All these US saws have a 1.5 hp, and the imports have a 2 hp.  Wonder if there's a big difference?  ???

jpgreen

That's the saw on sale.  I would love to have that one. Can't afford it now, but I may wait until I can.

$878 bucks shipped to your door..  8)

srt

About the left/right tilt thing.....       There is a difference.   Most folks find it more convienent, get a nicer cut, and find it safer if the blade  tilts away from the fence.   For that to happen,  and to be able to rip anything wider than about 16", you need a  LEFT TILT saw.    If this doesn't make sense, I'll be glad to go into more detail.    srt

Larry

Table saws are divided into three classes.  The traditional contractor saw, the newer hybrid, and the cabinet saw.  Contractor saws normally come with 1 1/2 hp motor and a open stand.  Hybrid motors seem to be in the range of 1 1/2 to 2 hp motors.  Both can be powered by either 110 or 220...no real difference in power as amps are amps.  Cabinet saws are 220 3 hp and up motors.

Contractor saws are underpowered for thick stock.  Dust collection is poor due to the design.  Hybrid saws have better dust collection...don't have an opinion on there power as have never ran one.  I have heard some amazing reports, some of which I think are dubious.  Neither saw hold resale value and super bargains are found in the used market if you have the time.

Cabinet saws are the premier workhorses...buy a new one today and it may sell for the same price 20 years from now.

No opinion on left tilt versus right tilt...so rarely do I use the tilt it is a non-issue for me.

In any case blades are extremely important.  For either a contractor or hybrid I would buy a thin kerf rip blade...40 or 50 bucks from Freud and a thin kerf WWll Forrest combination blade...$100.  A quality fence is nice but not essential.  Bessey or one of the clones and the UniFence are among the best.  Craftsman may also have a winner but no personal experience.

If I seldom cut thick stock I would be perfectly happy with most any name brand of contractor saw.  Nother thought...seems like Norm had a clean Jet contractor saw for sale while back.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jpgreen

So the "Hybrid" motors have more power?

I agree that they all will do the job I need most likely. I've read it's nice to have the motor inside the cabinet for storage, being able to put it up against a wall. I guess cabinet saws are quieter. Jet has some nice looking tools.  I like the color..  :D

Anyone of them would be light years ahead of what I've been using..  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!